header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: ~2017-18 Big Ten Basketball Thread~

(Read 122075 times)

PSUinNC

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: ~2017-18 Big Ten Basketball Thread~
« Reply #1442 on: March 13, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »
So picks?

3 categories:
1.) First round upset picks (11 seeds or low, none of this 10 over a 7 garbage)
2.) How far do you have the Big Ten teams going
3.) Your Final 4 with National Title game

Upsets: Loyola over Miami; South Dakota State over Ohio State; NM State over Clemson; ASU/Cuse winner over TCU

Big Ten: OSU out 1st round; MSU and UM to Sweet 16; Purdue to Final 4

Final Four: Cincinnati, North Carolina, Purdue and Duke; Duke over Cincinnati for the title

I have about my normal number of 1st round upsets; then a lot of 2nd round chalk, but only one #1 seed (Kansas) surviving the Sweet 16
My FF:  Michigan, Sparty, UVa, WVU.  UVa winning it all

Notable upsets:  Providence in E8 (over UNC, losing to M), SDSU over OSU, NMSU over Clemson (my 12/5), Loyola over Miami (I love MVC teams), URI over Duke

B1G: OSU out in first, Purdue E8, M and MSU in FF

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1443 on: March 13, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »
I'm bullish on Michigan this year. I think they have the right makeup (toughness, desire, coaching, experience) to go pretty far in this thing.

As I was doing picks yesterday, I was still wondering how the F#$k UNC got a 2 seed and why Syracuse is in at all.
I have the Heels beating the Wolvies
I'm bullish on Sparty
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1444 on: March 13, 2018, 02:07:04 PM »
My FF:  Michigan, Sparty, UVa, WVU.  UVa winning it all

Notable upsets:  Providence in E8 (over UNC, losing to M), SDSU over OSU, NMSU over Clemson (my 12/5), Loyola over Miami (I love MVC teams), URI over Duke

In your scenario I like MSU and UM's chances a lot.  I think both are Final 4 caliber, but both got nightmare matchups in their Sweet 16 game.  I actually think if you switched them, I would pick both to win their other's region.  But since you have UNC and Duke both getting upset in the 2nd round, I would then pick both MSU and UM to upset the 1 seed and reach San Antonio

PSUinNC

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1445 on: March 13, 2018, 02:36:55 PM »
In your scenario I like MSU and UM's chances a lot.  I think both are Final 4 caliber, but both got nightmare matchups in their Sweet 16 game.  I actually think if you switched them, I would pick both to win their other's region.  But since you have UNC and Duke both getting upset in the 2nd round, I would then pick both MSU and UM to upset the 1 seed and reach San Antonio
Something about those two teams from Rhode Island that I really like.  I think both are going to be really tough outs.
Love the first good matchup tonight, the Bonnies and UCLA.  Bonnies are a dangerous bunch IMO.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1446 on: March 13, 2018, 04:23:02 PM »
Bucknell benching Nathan Davis for a violation of team rules.

Only averaged 5.6 ppg and a 2.1 rpg, but played 22 mpg.  So on one hand that's pretty bad production for 22 mpg, on the other hand, he's 6'8", and those 22 minutes have to go somewhere.  Mid-majors usually aren't stocked with 6'8" guys.  Might be big advantage MSU in a closely called game, get both sides in foul trouble.

On the other hand, it might force Bucknell to go to a smaller lineup more than they want to, which MSU has struggled WAY more with this year.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1447 on: March 13, 2018, 05:15:34 PM »
Updated composite computer poll entering the NCAA Tournament. 67 rankings (last week in parenthesis)

1.Villanova (2)
2.Virginia (1)
3.Duke (3)
4.Cincinnati (4)
5.PURDUE (5)
6.MICHIGAN STATE (6)
7.Kansas (8)
8.North Carolina (9)
9.Xavier (7)
10.Gonzaga (11)
11.MICHIGAN (10)
12.Tennessee (13)
13.West Virginia (16)
14.Texas Tech (14)
15.Wichita State (15)
16.Kentucky (20)
17.Auburn (12)
18.Arizona (23)
19.OHIO STATE (17)
20.Houston (22)
21.Clemson (18)
22.TCU (19)
23.Florida (21)
24.Nevada (24)
25.Texas A&M (-)
-
43.Penn State (45)
56.Nebraska (55)
58.Maryland (56)
80.Wisconsin (81)
81.Indiana (84)
101.Northwestern (96)
109.Iowa (106)
113.Illinois (113)
115.Minnesota (114)
139.Rutgers (137)

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1448 on: March 13, 2018, 06:50:26 PM »
I had Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, and Purdue, with UK over Duke

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #1449 on: March 13, 2018, 10:03:38 PM »
1.Upsets - New Mexico over Clemson, and ASU/Sy over TCU

2. B1G - OSU & UM out at 32, Purdue E8, MSU FF

3. FF - UVA, Gonzaga, Villanova, & MSU; Cavaliers over Wildcats

Bonus: Heh, I had ESPN do a "smart pick" for me, It has Villanova beating Cincinnati in the Final, and OSU and MSU as the other FF teams. And I thought I'd be giddy to see that Final Four so submitted it as another pick.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:51:20 PM by TyphonInc »

Kris61

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1450 on: March 13, 2018, 10:28:32 PM »
My FF:  Michigan, Sparty, UVa, WVU.  UVa winning it all

Notable upsets:  Providence in E8 (over UNC, losing to M), SDSU over OSU, NMSU over Clemson (my 12/5), Loyola over Miami (I love MVC teams), URI over Duke

In case you want to change that I’ll let you know Nova is a terrible matchup for WVU in the Sweet 16 (if they get that far).  Nova is basically a better version of Kansas, IMO.  And although in 120 minutes of basketball against KU this year WVU only trailed for about 20 minutes they still went 0-3 against the Jayhawks.
WVU can’t guard the 3 point line.  If/when teams break the press they get great looks at the basket and in the half court they habitually leave 3 point shooters to help on drives despite having possibly the best shot blocker in the country underneath to erase mistakes.  Appreciate the love but don’t want to see you get your bracket busted.;)

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1451 on: March 13, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »
UW's Andy Van Vliet to transfer. He came in with a lot of offensive promise. Had to sit his first year because of an NCAA thing and could never earn minutes.

Coaches said they set standards for defense/rebounding effort for Andy to play. He did not play. Kid had a nice game that might've needed to be featured too much. It's too bad. Hope he lands somewhere that can use him. Now hopefully UW can find a grad transfer (hopes against hope it's the South Dakota State kid). 

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1452 on: March 14, 2018, 07:07:36 AM »
UW's Andy Van Vliet to transfer. He came in with a lot of offensive promise. Had to sit his first year because of an NCAA thing and could never earn minutes.

Coaches said they set standards for defense/rebounding effort for Andy to play. He did not play. Kid had a nice game that might've needed to be featured too much. It's too bad. Hope he lands somewhere that can use him. Now hopefully UW can find a grad transfer (hopes against hope it's the South Dakota State kid).
Time for Krabby to earn his paycheck, although Gard recently said he'd like to balance the classes a little better moving forward. That's been an Achilles for a while now. We'll see.

All the best to Van Vliet, although I didn't appreciate the "thank you" omissions from his tweet.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

fezzador

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1453 on: March 14, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »
So is UCLA going to bite the bullet and finally dump Alfraud?  He's not a good coach, but he keeps getting sweet gigs (sort of the Kiffin of MBB).  He needs to go back to the NBA as an assistant coach.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1454 on: March 14, 2018, 08:48:22 AM »
So is UCLA going to bite the bullet and finally dump Alfraud?  He's not a good coach, but he keeps getting sweet gigs (sort of the Kiffin of MBB).  He needs to go back to the NBA as an assistant coach.
He's always been a good mid major coach.  He's just not a high major coach.
In his 10 years at SW Missouri State and New Mexico, his teams always overachieved.  He might just be better served there.
Although, looking up his career record, he had been better at UCLA than I would have guessed.  Already forgot they were 31-5 last year and reached the Sweet 16.  

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1455 on: March 14, 2018, 11:24:49 AM »
I'm bullish on Michigan this year. I think they have the right makeup (toughness, desire, coaching, experience) to go pretty far in this thing.

As I was doing picks yesterday, I was still wondering how the F#$k UNC got a 2 seed and why Syracuse is in at all.
They have like 12 wins over teams in the field this year, including OOC wins over UM, OSU, and Tennessee.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.