header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Michigan State 2018 Season Thread

(Read 14408 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Michigan State 2018 Offseason Thread
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2018, 09:27:42 AM »
just beat Harbaugh, Again!
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »
Seems to me MSU will be a great team if it can stay healthy.
I agree.  Obviously every team is worse with injuries, but MSUs depth due to attrition makes it's two deep nowhere near the other Big Ten title hopefuls.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 05:52:53 PM »
Wow, sounds like Jon Reschke might be returning?  Hmm, not sure how I feel about that one.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »
Keonta Stallworth transferring.  Was a big OL recruit who moved to DT, and only played in 7 games in 3 years.  He still wasn't in the two deep this year, but at some point all of these depth hits are going to hurt.  They better avoid the injury bug again.

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 04:59:41 PM »
Ok?

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2018, 09:57:05 PM »
Jalen Watts-Jackson confirms that he is seeking a grad transfer.  Oddly, the play that he will always be famous for, ended with him fracturing his hip, missing a year, and never really able to become a contributor again.  He'll never have to buy a drink in East Lansing for as long as he lives though.

Injury was so bad he actually wound up deciding not to seek a grad transfer, but did graduate, and is retiring from football.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
MSU promotes Beekman from interim to permanent AD.  No prior experience in athletics.

I'm guessing they know no candidate they actually want will touch the job right now, so go with the safe internal pick of a guy who wasn't actually in the athletic department.  Try and navigate the mess of the next couple years, which really isn't a "sports" issue, as much as an administrative issue.  Then try and make your real hire in a couple years.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2018, 12:45:31 PM »
This hire tells me that the MSU brass feels that neither Dantonio or Izzo are going anywhere for a few years.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2018, 01:24:58 PM »
This hire tells me that the MSU brass feels that neither Dantonio or Izzo are going anywhere for a few years.
Dantonio seems fine, I think he'll go on his own terms.  But I think he's got at least 3 years in him.  Izzo?  I wouldn't be so sure

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2018, 12:04:41 AM »
This hire tells me that MSU is still handling things in-house because it won't tolerate an outsider to have administrative say while they continue their multiyear navigation away from these scandals. 

He may well be a good guy (this one, I hadn't heard of, so I don't have much to say about him specifically), but "business-as-usual" - even symbolically - remains a worst-case strategy for healing a broken an untrusting community. Hire someone who is unbeholden fercrissakes.

Having said that, I do have to acknowledge that the "great candidate" pool must be shallow. This comment is therefore less about this specific hire than about this consistent pattern since the scandal broke, higher-ups started losing their jobs and empty administrative positions needed filling. I mean ... zero outsiders of import (perhaps zero outsiders, absolutely) have been hired throughout. That's terrible stewardship. 

And I expect the BOT will feel it in November.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2018, 08:37:53 AM »
And I expect the BOT will feel it in November.
I certainly hope so.  The method of electing these people in Michigan makes no sense, making it part of the general election.  MSU alums (until now) only barely cared, and that goes for all state institutions.  Non-alums cared even less.  So simply being a familiar name was usually enough.  I think that is going to go in the complete opposite direction this time.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »
It's too bad that only two of eight can be replaced (and neither is running...and neither is Ferguson). Still, I do believe there'll be a shake-up of minds. Is Amanda Thomashow still considering running? She'd probably get one of my votes.
Honestly, despite the fact it would have been unprecedented, I kind of expected the Governor to step in and force a house cleaning. For however unprecedented, it'd have been fully deserved.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2018, 10:30:01 AM »
It's too bad that only two of eight can be replaced (and neither is running...and neither is Ferguson). Still, I do believe there'll be a shake-up of minds. Is Amanda Thomashow still considering running? She'd probably get one of my votes.
Honestly, despite the fact it would have been unprecedented, I kind of expected the Governor to step in and force a house cleaning. For however unprecedented, it'd have been fully deserved.
With how totally Snyder butchered the Flint water crisis, I'm guessing he doesn't want to step into anything else on his way out the door.
The AG who appointed the special prosecutor is running for governor though, so there is a tangled web there, even though he is not running the investigation himself.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.