header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Ohio State Season Thread

(Read 29239 times)

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Ohio State Offseason Thread
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2019, 03:14:45 PM »
Tate Martell enters the NCAA transfer portal. Day probably told him flat out you’re going to be the 3rd guy in spring ball behind Baldwin and Fields imo.
Why would a coach basically tell a former top-60 recruit to just eff off? He's not a salty fan. He's a guy who wants to have access to lots of talented QBs.
In what world would this happen unless the kid was just a massive cancer? 

Roaddawg

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2019, 03:29:46 PM »
Why would a coach basically tell a former top-60 recruit to just eff off? He's not a salty fan. He's a guy who wants to have access to lots of talented QBs.
In what world would this happen unless the kid was just a massive cancer?
Not sure Day would have said outright, kid-you will be third string at best.  Who knows, but he is not the type of QB I would see in Day's offensive scheme.  He did not impress last year with is arm in the Spring Game, and never really had a chance for playing time behind Haskins, which I found odd in a few of the blow games.  The mythical Red Zone scheme never was developed like Urban claimed and he has to get on the field this year, not much college time left for the kid.  The surprising thing was all the smack talk he was doing prior to Fields announcing, talking about he looks forward to competition and such-then tucks tail.  Just because he is entered, does not mean he is leaving, guess we have to wait and see if Day pulls his scholarship/Aide.

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »
Not sure Day would have said outright, kid-you will be third string at best.  Who knows, but he is not the type of QB I would see in Day's offensive scheme.  He did not impress last year with is arm in the Spring Game, and never really had a chance for playing time behind Haskins, which I found odd in a few of the blow games.  The mythical Red Zone scheme never was developed like Urban claimed and he has to get on the field this year, not much college time left for the kid.  The surprising thing was all the smack talk he was doing prior to Fields announcing, talking about he looks forward to competition and such-then tucks tail.  Just because he is entered, does not mean he is leaving, guess we have to wait and see if Day pulls his scholarship/Aide.
Three things
1. He played a good bit in those three early blowouts. His numbers were a bit better than Joe Burrow that one year. 
2. 90 percent of all "special run packages" are damn lies meant to slightly quiet fan complaints and maybe parent complaints. 
3. He won't pull the scholarship because the only value of that is being petty. If that was a risk, he'd tell the kid before all the paperwork got processed. Granted, Day has literally no upside in sending the kid packing unless they're short an early enrollee spot, just want him gone or said, "you're in or you're out." If the kid stays and tries to fight for the job and wins, it's a bonus, if not, he's gone anyway, and if he's a pain the ass, also gone. 

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »
Breaking down the jersey before 1934:

In the pre-Eckstrom era, 1890-98, they initially wore the baseball uniforms but switched after a few seasons to horizontally striped scarlet and grey rugby sweaters. The "grey stripe" on the sleeve was born. They burned through a lot of coaches with Fred Ryder being the most prominent one, coaching from 1892-95, as well as 1898. They were a middling program that mustered only one Conference title before the OIAA disbanded. They only played Michigan once, in 1897, and it was a loss. They went only 3-6 against Kenyon, who was their primary rival at the time.

John Eckstrom coached the team from 1899-1901, which was the pinnacle of the pre-Big Ten era. They had an iconic look with Red sweaters that had a block O on the front and long, horizontally striped scarlet and grey sleeves. This is the inspiration for the modern jersey obviously, only with a block letter instead of block numbers. They won two state titles, including an undefeated 1899 campaign, kicked off the annual Michigan series with a tie in 1900, and went 3-0 vs Kenyon, which kicked off a winning streak in that series that is technically still alive to this day.

OAC era: 1902-1912. They rolled through this era with the Eckstrom jerseys, albeit with the caveat that only one player had the block O on the front; presumably the QB or maybe the head captain. The era was somewhat disappointing after the Eckstrom administration. They went undefeated against Kenyon, but went winless against Michigan with the lone tie in 1910. They did manage to muster a pair of OAC titles in 1906 and 1912.

Dr John Wilce era: 1913-1928. The Buckeyes joined the Big Ten in 1913, and Wilce guided the buckeyes from then until 1928. The Eckstrom jersey was replaced with the "Chic Harley" look that had leather helmets and a Scarlet sweater with vertical Grey stripes across the front. The grey striping was removed from the sleeves entirely. They stuck with that look the entire time that Wilce was the coach, with zero modifications whatsoever. A lot of innovations in that era obviously. Big Ten, Ohio Stadium, the first two all Americans, the Illibuck Trophy, Senior Tackle, and so forth. The Michigan series was suspended from 13-17, but Wilce collected wins over them in 19, 20, 21, and 28. Big Ten Titles in 16, 17 and 20.

The era between Wilce and Schmidt: 1929 to 1933. They reverted back to the old Eckstrom look for the jerseys, initially with numbered jerseys in 1929, but with the numbers removed for the duration of that era. Sam Williman was the coach, and he did not fare well. Script Ohio became a thing in 1932, so there's that. He did manage to muster a pair of Michigan wins in 29 and 31. The striping on the sleeve was dialed back from being a sleeve made entirely out of grey stripes to one that had just a small band of stripes above the elbow, more like the modern look.

Okay, upon further inspection the jerseys were numbered during the Wilce era, just not on the front which was the only part visible on the team photos that I was examining. 

So they had numbers at least as long as they have been members of the Big Ten. I suppose that also opens up the possibility that the back of the jerseys were numbered before that as well. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »
Damn,that last picture - in the 'Shoe,goes back a stretch
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »
Sounds like Kendall Sheffield leaving for the NFL

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2019, 08:03:13 PM »
So, My Buckeye Season tickets appears to be in jeopardy (Season Ticket holder '93- '18.) The Mrs. Typhon moved out over the weekend. Now this stay at home dad of 2, needs to figure out his finances, and it looks like sporting event tickets have peculated to the top of my chopping block.
Best of luck to you.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2019, 06:12:02 PM »
RB Brian Snead leaving the program

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2019, 09:00:58 AM »
Forgot all about him. Sounds like he was suspended for rules violation, and never reinstated. It's perplexing, how something can be so big the kids gets suspended for 10 games (indefinite,) but so small that it's not documented anywhere (police report, University investigation, grades, etc.)?!?
In the Eleven Warriors comments, posters speculate that it was a minor infraction (Late to a meeting, not trying in practice, etc.) And he was required to complete some tasks to get reinstated and he just never did it. Again, just speculation, but only option that makes sense to me. There was also a tweet from an OSU Student saying Snead got what he deserved for shooting his friends with a paintball gun. But, I don't see that being a 10 game suspension with out there being something documented somewhere. 
Without knowing those details, the best I can muster is to wish the young man good luck, and NEXT MAN UP!

Roaddawg

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2019, 01:32:48 PM »
NOt a big loss in the RB room, that position is very deep, and talented.  I am looking forward to watching Master Teague run the ball this Fall.  It will be nice to see Dobbins as the full number one back, not having to split time with Weber,  I was just never able to get into Weber running the ball.  I know he had some solid games, but just like the split duties hampered both guys, and thought Dobbins was the better back overall.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2019, 02:02:25 PM »
NOt a big loss in the RB room, that position is very deep, and talented.  I am looking forward to watching Master Teague run the ball this Fall.  It will be nice to see Dobbins as the full number one back, not having to split time with Weber,  I was just never able to get into Weber running the ball.  I know he had some solid games, but just like the split duties hampered both guys, and thought Dobbins was the better back overall.
have a feeling you might be singing a different tune this season. Weber was a tough SOB who ran hard and played through lotta injuries and still produced. He really softened up defenses for Dobbins. I don't think Dobbins is a full-time RB. He's better as a change of pace in a rotation imo. Not a knock on him, he's a spectacular player, but you need that guy who is going to get the tough yards and move the chains and keep drives alive. That's not Dobbins. That was Weber.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »
Greg Schiano lands in N.E. as D.C. for B.B.,glad he got a decent gig IMO unfairly got his name dragged thru the mud
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2019, 04:43:37 PM »
Justin Fields is eligible

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2019, 05:22:09 PM »
They might as well just completely get rid of the sitting out rule

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.