header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Half-Assed Resident Genius Contest

(Read 43133 times)

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
Re: Half-Assed Resident Genius Contest
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »
I lose track when people change their names.  I typically just keep on calling them the same thing so as not to confuse myself.

I've been utee94 since a couple boards before cnn/si, and that's the only name I've ever used on message boards.

Interestingly enough, in the dark ages while Al Gore was still putting the final touches on his invention of the internet, I was known as "Shiner" on the Internet Relay Chat (IRC).

I made a heck of a lot better Shiner than this new guy, that's for sure.
wow, mIRC days....   that really jogs the memory. 
I went by "FlyHighGirl" on there - partly because I wanted to be a Fly Girl on In Living Color (like Jennifer Lopez before she became J-Lo), and I also liked to get high.  Some of those things are still true, including the strange craving to talk to strangers on the internet.   

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2018, 04:10:50 PM »
I don't think I answered this week's question, but I guess I'll go with the Texas 30 yrd line. 

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
Familiarity breeds contempt.  Or perhaps just a genuine fondness that lacks proper boundaries so that it becomes as equally loving and annoying as an affectionate 200 lb sheep dog with muddy feet, bad breath and a wagging tail that knocks everything off of the coffee table and both end tables.

Think back to when you were a kid and you tried something you thought was cool - like a new haircut or new cut of blue jeans or something.  It was cool when Fonzie did it or James Bond did it it or Billy Idol did it but when you did it you were ridiculed mercilessly.

And by whom?  Friends and family of course.  So it goes.  Sometimes you need a break.  

The fun thing about message boards is you can post with friends and nemeses for 20 years during which time you can get totally fed up with them, leave forever, and come back as somebody knew only to discover they can all be real jerks to that guy too.  

So what's a tempestuous idgit to do?   Just keep on keeping on.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2018, 06:51:35 PM »
But hey.  Whoda ever thunk this forum would be a tie that binds through decades, joys, sorrows, trials, tragedies and blessings?

We are a such a awkwardly social species.

I was watching a documentary that said most American house cats die of diseases.  The diseases are caused by stress.  The stress is caused by interactions with other living creatures.  Usually other cats.

You hear things like that and you have to wonder what God is trying to tell us.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2018, 11:16:16 PM »
I'm not interested in wondering that hard

I'll have another beer
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2018, 11:26:55 PM »
you drank that swill back in your youth?

was Live Oak, not a brewery back in the stone age?
Live Oak was not a brewery until 1997. Had the big 20-year celebration last year.  I got a lot of free beer that day, but that's not unusual. :)
I'll be camping all Spring Break out at Garner State Park with the owner. Last time we did that, we went through 3 kegs in a few days.  I'll definitely need to train up for that.

EastAthens

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2018, 01:35:58 AM »
No turnovers, the kid plays lights out.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2018, 11:01:38 AM »
Live Oak was not a brewery until 1997. Had the big 20-year celebration last year.  I got a lot of free beer that day, but that's not unusual. :)
I'll be camping all Spring Break out at Garner State Park with the owner. Last time we did that, we went through 3 kegs in a few days.  I'll definitely need to train up for that.
got room in the camp spot for a small dome tent?
you'll probably have a smoker or two I could help keep an eye on?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
No turnovers, the kid plays lights out.
I LIKE this guy!

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2018, 11:27:00 AM »
Not easy to drag a smoker all the way down to Garner.  We'll certainly be grilling, and over open campfires if the burn bans are gone by then.

So sure, bring your dome tent on down.  Spring Break weather will most likely be cool and rainy by Texas standards, which means perfectly comfortable for a dirt farmer such as yourself.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2018, 01:10:11 PM »
The Garner State Park Leakey Concan Vanderpool Lake Wood area of Texas is a lovely spot.  Amazing how it can be so close to yet so much better than fugly Uvalde.  The missus and I looked at property in the area.  Might be a nice place for a retirement cabin.  Possibly a tad warmer and less humid than microclimates to the east but still accessible to a bit of water for kayaking, wading, cooling off.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »
The Frio River is great.  

And I guess to answer the question, I'll say the Texas 44.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2018, 09:40:36 AM »
The Garner State Park Leakey Concan Vanderpool Lake Wood area of Texas is a lovely spot. 
I understand everything is bigger in Texas, but do the park names have to use 8 words?

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
So my clever plan to shake out some separation between contestants failed miserably as I ended up with a binary result despite not listening to the unsolicited advice of BC or 320.

I’ll search through our pages of idle conversation (totally loved, embraced & acceped by me), find the picks, sort them out & post the rankings AFTER church and chicken dinner.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.