header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 214904 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #672 on: October 15, 2018, 09:46:13 AM »
I believe BC is exactly who and what he claims to be.  I have many friends in real life who are even more absurd and exasperating than he is.
That looks much snarkier than I meant it to look so let me try to tweak it.
Key word may be "friends."  I actually like people with enough intelligence and independence to not be a stereotype or to possess opinions contrary to the stereotypical norm.
We live in a society that's becoming more and more tribalistic and sloppy in its group-think.  It's amazing what people collectively believe to be true nowadays.  And I'm not pointing the finger at any opposing ideology.  Every group is flawed in their overly-persuasive reasoning.
So I love people who are bold enough, smart enough and daring enough to diverge.
In some ways, BC fits some of the stereotypes that city folks like to assign small town folks, but when it comes to Texas football, he's not your typical fan.
I like that about him.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #673 on: October 15, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
I don't hate the LHN at all.  In fact, I'm quite thankful for it.  It was the catalyst that spurred us to leave.

And I am similarly delighted with anything that caused the Aggies to leave. :)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #674 on: October 17, 2018, 05:19:03 PM »
My second-favorite F1 driver, the Aussie Daniel Ricciardo, was at the UT-Baylor game on Saturday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpARG-zHp9Y/?hl=en&taken-by=danielricciardo

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #675 on: October 17, 2018, 08:22:33 PM »
And I am similarly delighted with anything that caused the Aggies to leave. :)
Ugh.
Remind us to say "thanks" on 9/7/19.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #676 on: October 17, 2018, 09:10:21 PM »
Ugh.
Remind us to say "thanks" on 9/7/19.  
Lulz.  No backsies.
At least y'all got an annual guaranteed win out of the deal.  You're welcome.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #677 on: October 17, 2018, 10:09:13 PM »
It's Tom Herman.  You'll beat the tiger-poop out of LSU.  It's one of the surrounding games, La. Tech, Rice, or Kansas, that you'll inexplicably drop.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #678 on: October 18, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »
Sad but true.

Headed out to Circuit of the Americas for the US Grand Prix all weekend, we're camping out there in the cold and rain so wish us luck. :)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #679 on: October 18, 2018, 09:12:16 AM »
So being part cat, curiosity got to me and I had to find Brownwood on the map.  I spent the better part of a week duck hunting around Throckmorton once and thought it might close to there, but I see now it’s about 100 miles south of there.  

So what exciting about Brown County?  Do you have any attractions worth seeing?  One of my favorite things to do in central Texas is nose around in road cuts and river beds collecting fossils, but that might be too far west of prime fossil country?  Or not?

What about places to eat?  What’s Browneood known for cuisine/restaurant/diner wise?  

Or is it like Luchenbach where nobody’s feeling any pain?  Or Muskogee where white lightnin’s still the biggest thrill of all (which of course was untrue - it was more like dazed and confused than anything else when I was there)

Fred, I can't lie.  Your final paragraph describes Brownwood more accurately.

Deer hunting?  Absolutely.  Folks come from all around for a piece of that action.

Attractions?  Somewhere between no and meh.  Or maybe just no.  I'll give Brownwood way bigger props than Muskogee however - you can get killed in Muskogee.  I've blown through there a few times en route to NE Arkansas.

Places to eat?  Nothing to brag about.  Underwood's has a big following but it's a cafeteria style thing.

No... when you put it that way... Brown County is just no big deal.  Except folks are real and I wouldn't be anywhere's else.

And Austin is only 2 hours away when I'm in the mood for foreigners.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #680 on: October 18, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »
And I am similarly delighted with anything that caused the Aggies to leave. 

Why do we play this game?  Aggies say they are happy they don't play Texas and Longhorns say they are happy A&M left the conference.

Liars.  The lot of us.  I would enjoy A&M back in the conference, and I have talked to A&M students who would rather play Texas, Tech, TCU and Baylor than to play SEC schools.  But those who have a dog in this fight would never say such things.

Here's my white flag.  My life is worse without A&M in our conference.  What other game could pack out 110k on a Thanksgiving Day?  Don't lie, Aggies.  You couldn't do it with LSU either.

Yet we are glad we don't have that game?  If I'll buy that will you throw the golden gate in free?

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #681 on: October 18, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »
when a wife becomes an exwife there aint much love there
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #682 on: October 18, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »
when a wife becomes an exwife there aint much love there

was UT/A&M ever a relationship built on love?

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #683 on: October 18, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
Fred, I can't lie.  Your final paragraph describes Brownwood more accurately.

Deer hunting?  Absolutely.  Folks come from all around for a piece of that action.

Attractions?  Somewhere between no and meh.  Or maybe just no.  I'll give Brownwood way bigger props than Muskogee however - you can get killed in Muskogee.  I've blown through there a few times en route to NE Arkansas.

Places to eat?  Nothing to brag about.  Underwood's has a big following but it's a cafeteria style thing.

No... when you put it that way... Brown County is just no big deal.  Except folks are real and I wouldn't be anywhere's else.

And Austin is only 2 hours away when I'm in the mood for foreigners.

Oh BC. You sell your hometown short.  Are you trying to keep Cousin Fred from moving in?
Lake Brownwood is nice.  Very, very nice.  And the farther west you go, lakes get fewer and farther in between.
And as my football son (Zacby’s Defensive Varsity Player of the Week) has started going to football camps and visiting west Texas state universities in 5he Lone Star Conference, we’ve turned left in Brownwood on the way and right in Brownwood on the way back.  It’s a sprawling little town with restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores.   It’s like the last outpost of civilization for a long, long ways.
For city folks like us, it’s an oasis in the desert.
Im about to switch gears.  I’ll hope on another post.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #684 on: October 18, 2018, 11:19:05 AM »
we’ve turned left in Brownwood on the way and right in Brownwood on the way back.

I would guess you were headed to Angelo State, possibly?

Look for CR153 about 3-4 miles west of Brownwood.  T95 manor is about a mile past the railroad tracks headed south on that road.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #685 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:02 AM »
Never did that subsequent post. Sidetracked. Maybe laters.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.