header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Evil Songs

(Read 12425 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Evil Songs
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 10:16:15 PM »
I love ABBA.  So does Dave Grohl from Nirvana/Foo Fighters, so I think I'm okay having that position.

Their tunes will definitely stick in your brain though, that's for sure.
I liked ABBA in the 70's, before I became aware of better music
I would ever say I loved ABBA and even if I did I wouldn't admit to it.
Having Dave Grohl in your camp isn't a plus in my book
but, I realize each person has their own book and tastes and I don't judge
If you love ABBA, good for you.  I could put up with a few of their tunes during one of your tailgates and possibly I did while having a great time
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 09:18:31 AM »
Oh no, ABBA is not tailgate music.  A few of their songs are definitely lake music, because they get the girls up and dancing.

Tailgate music is Van Halen and Willie Nelson and Robert Earl Keen.

But speaking of the 70s, here's a truly "evil" song from one of my favorite bands of the era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8sr74iCjyA

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2018, 09:44:47 AM »
OK, I looked up Yacht rock....... probably not my thing, too much soft pop

TOP 10 YACHT ROCK SONGS OF ALL TIME

"In the musical sense, yacht rock refers to the highly polished brand of soft rock that emanated from Southern California between 1976 and 1984. The term is meant to suggest the kind of smooth, mellow music that early yuppies likely enjoyed while sipping champagne and snorting cocaine on their yachts. Significant "yacht rockers" include Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross, and Toto."

10. England Dan & John Ford Coley -- "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight" (1975) 

9. Robbie Dupree -- "Steal Away" (1980)

8. Player -- "Baby Come Back" (1978)

7. Kenny Loggins -- "This Is It" (1979) 

6. Michael McDonald -- "I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)" (1982) 

5. Toto -- "Rosanna" (1982)

4. Daryl Hall & John Oates -- "Kiss on My List" (1980)

3. The Doobie Brothers -- "What a Fool Believes" (1978) 

2. Steely Dan -- "Hey Nineteen" (1980)

1. Christopher Cross -- "Sailing" (19 )
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 09:13:45 AM »
Last night about 3:40 in the morning, I crawled out of bed and staggered to the bathroom.  I felt nauseated, like I had food poisoning, but I didn't.  I merely had a song stuck in my head that had replayed so many times in my sleep that it had made me sick.

The song?

Elton John's Benny and the Jets.

Bennay Bennay Bennay Bennay Bennay Bennay Benny and the Jets

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 09:17:34 AM »
The only way I could get to sleep was to overwrite Benny and the Jets in my mind with the Isley Brother's It's Your Thing.

It's Your Thing is a repetitious song too so it makes for a great re-channeling but it's kind of cool too so I can tolerate it much more easily than hearing Bennay Bennay Bennay Bennay Bennay Bennay Benny and the Jets over and over again.

In case you've forgotten, it goes:

It's your thang
Do whatchu wanna do
I can't tell you
Who to sock it to

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 10:42:47 AM »
Hey Nineteen and What A Fool Believes are great songs.

Some definite clunkers on that list, though. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 10:45:27 AM »
One of the most annoying evil songs ever, is "Hey Jude."  I can take the first 1/3 where verses actually exist, but latter 2/3 of endless refrains of "naaa na na na na na naaaaaaaa" makes me want to apply Chinese water torture to any remaining Beatles that might still be out there. 

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 11:17:48 AM »
Hey Nineteen and What A Fool Believes are great songs.
I really like Michael McDonald.  Steely Dan too.  One of my oldest friends is Mr. McDonald's bass player now, which allowed me to hang out with him for a while when he came here last year.  I'll tell you two disappointing things about that affair.  Like all the acts at "that" point of their careers, you're gonna get two things from them at a live show.  You're gonna get a greatest hits list and an offering of new material from their latest stuff.  Unfortunately his hits all come from his early solo days or the Doobie Brothers, and my favorite stuff of his was "middle career" stuff, which albums did not produce radio hits, so I got to hear a bunch of stuff that's still good, but not my fave.  The other disappointing thing was the man had shaved his beard.  I took some pics with him and put them on social media, but how am I supposed to convince people I met the guy when he's completely unrecognizable?  Everybody knows Michael McDonald sports the white beard.  I saw footage of shows directly before and after I met him.....he's bearded in all of them.  I got maybe the only pictures of him ever taken that nobody would think I really met him.  
He's coming back near here in December.  He better have a beard and be ready to do some stuff from Take It To Heart and Blink of an Eye.  

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 01:02:17 PM »
My Bennie and the Jets equivalent is Marley’s I Shot the Sheriff.  They played the same tape during EVERY 9th grade lunch hour and that was on it.  Ruined me for Marley and the Wailers for years before I realized they had music that actually kind of nice to listen to.

It’s like spinach.  My elementary school cafetería always soaked it in vinegar and I ranked it as possibly the worst food known to humankind (in my limited sample, this is long before I’d encountered stinky tofu).  Then one day much much later I had spinach with I dunno oil or butter or something, and realized that it was the Muskogee public school system that was willingly inflicting this evil on an otherwise innocent and pretty tasty leaf.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 01:27:05 PM »
One of the most annoying evil songs ever, is "Hey Jude."  I can take the first 1/3 where verses actually exist, but latter 2/3 of endless refrains of "naaa na na na na na naaaaaaaa" makes me want to apply Chinese water torture to any remaining Beatles that might still be out there.

The last 2/3 of "She's So Heavy" would drive you nuts as well.  The Beatles had a way sometimes of outstaying their welcome.

Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9......

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »
It’s like spinach.  My elementary school cafetería always soaked it in vinegar and I ranked it as possibly the worst food known to humankind (in my limited sample, this is long before I’d encountered stinky tofu).  Then one day much much later I had spinach with I dunno oil or butter or something, and realized that it was the Muskogee public school system that was willingly inflicting this evil on an otherwise innocent and pretty tasty leaf.
agreed, not sure what they could have possibly done to make spinach taste any worse
I don't need no education!

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2018, 12:32:20 AM »
This thread reminds of me of the always clever Weird Al and his Achy Breaky Song, which takes jabs at several known annoying artists/musicians on top of the song it is parodying. 
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 12:35:39 AM »
Hall and Oats' Kiss On My List is common earworm of mine, and it's not that I even am exposed to that song often or anything. I'll just wake up and BAM it's in my head. 

Speaking of Hall and Oats, I saw them live little over a year ago. They toured with Tears for Fears and I gotta say it was a pretty decent concert. I will say Tears for Fears voices have aged quite a bit better than Hall and Oats' voices. 

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 12:38:01 AM »
I really like Michael McDonald.  Steely Dan too.  One of my oldest friends is Mr. McDonald's bass player now, which allowed me to hang out with him for a while when he came here last year.  I'll tell you two disappointing things about that affair.  Like all the acts at "that" point of their careers, you're gonna get two things from them at a live show.  You're gonna get a greatest hits list and an offering of new material from their latest stuff.  Unfortunately his hits all come from his early solo days or the Doobie Brothers, and my favorite stuff of his was "middle career" stuff, which albums did not produce radio hits, so I got to hear a bunch of stuff that's still good, but not my fave.  The other disappointing thing was the man had shaved his beard.  I took some pics with him and put them on social media, but how am I supposed to convince people I met the guy when he's completely unrecognizable?  Everybody knows Michael McDonald sports the white beard.  I saw footage of shows directly before and after I met him.....he's bearded in all of them.  I got maybe the only pictures of him ever taken that nobody would think I really met him.  
He's coming back near here in December.  He better have a beard and be ready to do some stuff from Take It To Heart and Blink of an Eye.  
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRdLWbOAUEY

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.