header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: CFB51 Preseason All-Big Ten Team - Cornerback #2

(Read 2908 times)

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
CFB51 Preseason All-Big Ten Team - Cornerback #2
« on: July 12, 2018, 09:13:53 AM »
FIRST TEAM
QBTrace McSorley, Penn State, Senior
RBJonathan Taylor, Wisconsin, Sophomore
RBJ.K. Dobbins, Ohio State, Sophomore
WRJD Spielman, Nebraska, Sophomore
WRStanley Morgan, Nebraska, Senior
TENoah Fant, Iowa, Junior
TDavid Edwards, Wisconsin, Junior
GBeau Benzschawel, Wisconsin, Senior
CKirk Barron, Purdue, Senior
GMichael Jordan, Ohio State, Junior
TIsaiah Prince, Ohio State, Senior
DENick Bosa, Ohio State, Junior
DTDre'Mont Jones, Ohio State, Junior
DTOlive Sagapolu, Wisconsin, Senior
DERashan Gary, Michigan, Junior
LBT.J. Edwards, Wisconsin, Senior
LBDevin Bush, Michigan, Junior
LBRyan Connelly, Wisconsin, Senior
CBLavert Hill, Michigan, Junior
SECOND TEAM

QBBrian Lewerke, Michigan State, Junior
RBL.J. Scott, Michigan State, Senior
RBRodney Smith, Minnesota, Senior
WRJuwon Johnson, Penn State, Junior
WRParris Campbell, Ohio State, Senior
TECole Herdman, Purdue, Senior
TTariq Cole, Rutgers, Senior
GMichael Dieter, Wisconsin, Junior
CKeegan Render, Iowa, Senior
GJerald Foster, Nebraska, Senior
TRyan Bates, Penn State, Junior
DEChase Winovich, Michigan, Senior
DTJordan Thompson, Northwestern, Senior
DTMick Stoltenberg, Nebraska, Senior
DEAnthony Nelson, Iowa, Junior
LBJoe Bachie, Michigan State, Junior
LBKhaleke Hudson, Michigan, Junior
LBMarkus Bailey, Purdue, Junior

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: CFB51 Preseason All-Big Ten Team - Cornerback #2
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »
In future years, do you envision moving to a 2-LB, 5-DB format?
The game seems to have gotten there sooner than the standard awards teams. A nickel back is now not only a static position in many defenses, but in several he's among their most featured defensemen.
For Michigan, we think Ambry Thomas's position will be on the field for a majority of snaps. And that's despite LB (first team and depth) being  a strength.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:16:48 PM by Anonymous Coward »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
UW plays a 3-4 in the base...

I think ELA will stick with the 4-3-4 setup so long as it's the mainstream still.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 02:21:51 PM »
I'd like to see a histogram representing the frequency of 3-4, 4-3, 4-2 and other fronts (both by program identity and, separately, by snap count). I think the national numbers would surprise people.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 02:26:45 PM »
The issue is it's still generally the format by which all-conference teams are named.  Granted I think the first year or two of these we also did one RB and one FB, so things change.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 03:27:19 PM »
It's also hard, because some of these players aren't exactly defined by position... They're bigger than safeties and faster than linebackers, so they play "nickel", but a lot of times they could play just about anywhere except on the line and wreak havoc. 

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 03:42:35 PM »
I just want to see a histogram. Been a long time.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »
UW plays a 3-4 in the base...

I think ELA will stick with the 4-3-4 setup so long as it's the mainstream still.
Yes, but I’d bet 3-4 is not the most used personnel group. 
Against 3-wide teams (which is a lot of them), UW goes 2-4-5, with the OLBs sliding in as ends. It used to just take the NT out, but Olive got so good, he often remains. 
UW goes 3-4 for power teams, usually the ones that go with more pro-style sets or Ohio State. I’d bet they were in that nickel for the entirety of a lot of games (give or take goal line)

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 04:22:10 PM »
Yeah I was mostly lobbying for 5 DBs, because the NB is becoming a mainstay. I now see that, if we go that way, deciding the group (DL v LB) to get hit with that casualty of one is not straightforward. I'm betting it's most frequently subtracted from the LBs but am less confident now. 
Alternatively, what about making 12-man teams? Adding an FB (or flex v. inline TE?) on O and NB on D. Or is going to 12 too ham-handed?

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »
Against 3-wide teams (which is a lot of them), UW goes 2-4-5, with the OLBs sliding in as ends. It used to just take the NT out, but Olive got so good, he often remains.
That may be true, but in my opinion that's not *really* 2-4-5. You're not rushing only 2 players, right? Those OLB sliding down as ends are lined up on the LOS, right? Depending on what those ends do, it's either a 3-4 nickel or a 4-3 nickel package in reality. Just because they're linebackers playing DE doesn't mean that it's a 2-4-5, it means it's a position grouping where your defensive end positions are staffed by LB rather than "true" DE. 

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »
That may be true, but in my opinion that's not *really* 2-4-5. You're not rushing only 2 players, right? Those OLB sliding down as ends are lined up on the LOS, right? Depending on what those ends do, it's either a 3-4 nickel or a 4-3 nickel package in reality. Just because they're linebackers playing DE doesn't mean that it's a 2-4-5, it means it's a position grouping where your defensive end positions are staffed by LB rather than "true" DE.
It’s a 2-4-5 personnel grouping in primarily a 4-2-5 alignment. So the standard modern nickel. 
I phrased it that way for three reasons: 1. I find the unusual personnel grouping more interesting. 2. We’re talking about personnel here, not alignment. 3. Going down the alignment road can get weird. 
To expand on 3. We still consider a tight end split out a tight end. We still consider a sixth offense lineman an O-lineman. If the OLB slides up to make a 5-man front, we don’t call it a 5-2 defense (3-4s regularly align as 5-2s). When a safety drops into the box, he’s not a linebacker. For this, we’re not calling a litany of UW OLBs defensive ends in this context. 
You mention a 4-3 or 3-4 nickel in reality. But what is this? It’s a 3-4 base, but goes whole games with a four-man front. And while it lacks a “true DE” it also lacks three or four “True” defensive linemen at all. It’s the future my friend. 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.