header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Most Common post-WWII non-B1G opponents for each B1G team

(Read 10533 times)

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Most Common post-WWII non-B1G opponents for each B1G team
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 09:58:54 PM »
Ah, IU yes. 9 times since 1946.  

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 10:17:31 PM »
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 11:14:47 PM »
thanks to Roy Helu Jr's 66 yard run, 73 yard run, 53 yard run and 307 yards rushing on 28 attempts in 2010 I'm pretty sure the victory bell sits in Lincoln
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 12:30:04 AM »
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 01:22:07 AM »
Ohio State:
There really aren't any logical annual OOC rivals for Ohio State.  USC is the most frequent OOC opponent since 1946 but they are on the West Coast and already tied in with Notre Dame.  Pitt is the most frequently scheduled opponent (because 8 of the 20 games against USC were Bowls).  

Indiana:
This one is obvious, Kentucky.  

Illinois:
This one is obvious, Mizzou.  

Nebraska:
This one is obvious, Oklahoma.  Technically the Cornhuskers have more games since WWII against Mizzou, Kansas, ISU, KSU, and Colorado but without the need to look it up I'm confident that those series are substantially more lopsided than the Cornhuskers' series against Oklahoma which also has some VERY memorable past games.  If Oklahoma isn't possible then I would consider Colorado before Nebraska's four most frequent opponents since WWII (Mizzou, ISU, and the two Kansas schools).  
OSU:
My top priority is having a National Marquee Game every year (H-A.) 2nd priority, I also really like having an Ohio Team on the schedule (H.) For that 3rd OOC I'd prefer it to NOT be another "payday" game against a G5 opponent. If it could be a 2 for 1 with a lower P5 opponent, or even a H-A-Neutral site game that could work. And if it were a neutral site game, I think a Kentucky or Louisville game played in Cincinnati would be a border war blast. If you take 71S from Columbus there are a couple big Billboards the proclaim "Hell Is Real." How cool would it be to have a Hell Is Real rivalry with Louisville (Or if Cincinnati get restored to P5 status with the Bearcats.)

Indiana:
Louisville is closer.
Illinois:
I would love for Missouri to join the B1G, Mizzou has scheduled 4 games with Illinois.
Nebraska.:
Oklahoma - Rivalry Endures 2029 and 30.

GopherRock

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 07:02:19 AM »
I think the reason why Nebraska-Minnesota has been a relatively friendly series since the Huskers joined the league is that it's a series that dates to the primordial ooze era of CFB, both fanbases and the Gophers are still the only B1G team that is above .500 all time. 

Having spent a fair amount of time around the U of Washington campus, they are pretty much the same school as the U of Minnesota: Big research school on a pretty urban campus where the pro football club sucks all the oxygen out of the room. I would love for the Gophers to regularly renew that series. 

Husky Stadium is the prettiest place in college football. It also has the best in-stadium eating (Ivars clam chowder) in college football. 

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »
I would pick the Sooners first obviously, but the Mizzou Tigers 2nd, before Colorado
That is surprising to me, but one of the reasons I wanted to post this was to get thoughts from other fanbases.  Did the Colorado season-ending "rivalry" in the old B12 feel "forced"?  Is that why?  Just curious. 

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »
It felt "forced" to me, as an outsider.

The XII messed up by not having OU and UNL as fixed crossovers.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2018, 08:50:22 AM »
I think the reason why Nebraska-Minnesota has been a relatively friendly series since the Huskers joined the league is that it's a series that dates to the primordial ooze era of CFB, both fanbases and the Gophers are still the only B1G team that is above .500 all time. 
Do you mean to say that the Gophers are the only B1G team above .500 against the Cornhuskers?  If so, I think this is wrong.  AFAIK, the Buckeyes are 5-1:
  • Ohio State won two games in Columbus in the 1950's
  • Ohio State lost the first ever B1G game played in Lincoln, Nebraska (I was there with @FearlessF )
  • Ohio State has won three B1G games against Nebraska since then

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2018, 08:58:30 AM »
OSU:
My top priority is having a National Marquee Game every year (H-A.) 2nd priority, I also really like having an Ohio Team on the schedule (H.) For that 3rd OOC I'd prefer it to NOT be another "payday" game against a G5 opponent. If it could be a 2 for 1 with a lower P5 opponent, or even a H-A-Neutral site game that could work. And if it were a neutral site game, I think a Kentucky or Louisville game played in Cincinnati would be a border war blast. If you take 71S from Columbus there are a couple big Billboards the proclaim "Hell Is Real." How cool would it be to have a Hell Is Real rivalry with Louisville (Or if Cincinnati get restored to P5 status with the Bearcats.)
I agree 100% on the top priority.  I'm also fine with the idea of the "payday" game being against an in-state opponent.  
I really like the idea of doing 2 for 1 deals with lower P5's and I would include high-end non P5 teams in that discussion.  Ie, I thought MSU's 2 for 1 deal with Boise made a lot of sense.  I could also go for a H-A-N three game series with a quality opponent.  
I agree that Kentucky or Louisville with some perhaps played in Cincy would be great, but not as an every-year thing.  I'd like that as an occasional or one-off thing.  
I have less than zero interest in anything that approaches treating UC as an equal.  That would be bad for long-term business and I would be adamantly opposed.  
If you really wanted to get creative I'd be interested in some foreign neutral site games (perhaps as part of H-A-N or mixed 2 for 1/HAN deals):
  • Boston College in Montreal
  • Syracuse in Toronto
  • Washington in Vancouver

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2018, 09:01:35 AM »
Do you mean to say that the Gophers are the only B1G team above .500 against the Cornhuskers?  If so, I think this is wrong.  AFAIK, the Buckeyes are 5-1:
  • Ohio State lost the first ever B1G game played in Lincoln, Nebraska (I was there with @FearlessF )

UW is 8-4 against UNL (2-3 before becoming conference mates).
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2018, 09:24:51 AM »
That is surprising to me, but one of the reasons I wanted to post this was to get thoughts from other fanbases.  Did the Colorado season-ending "rivalry" in the old B12 feel "forced"?  Is that why?  Just curious.
oh, it wasn't forced.  The Ralphie fans and those top notch Buffs teams made it a rivalry for sure.
It's just that it only lasted a few years compared to the rivalry with the Tigers.
huskers are 49-18-2 vs Ralphie
65-36-3 vs the Tiggers
Tigers had wins in 67, 68, 69, 73, 74, 76, and the upset in 78 sent the Huskers to a rematch with the Sooners in the Orange bowl.  Possibly Barry's best team.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »
Do you mean to say that the Gophers are the only B1G team above .500 against the Cornhuskers?  If so, I think this is wrong.  AFAIK, the Buckeyes are 5-1:
  • Ohio State lost the first ever B1G game played in Lincoln, Nebraska (I was there with @FearlessF )

before the Huskers joined the B1G the Hoosiers were 9-7-3 vs the Huskers

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 09:39:46 AM »
McCartney definitely played the 'red letter' game up,  banning Big Red soda from store shelves, etc.  It was a little forced, at least at the outset, but the game deserved rivalry status, at least for a 20 yr period.*  It was useful that CU ascended as OU went through its dark age period post-Switzer.  Same with KSU.  

F Mizzou fans (my least favorite bunch from the old days).  I have more impressionable memories of Mizzou football thanks to the hilariously bad Woody Widenhofer and Bob Stull eras.  I know they had much more glory with Devine and Powers, but it certainly predates me.  

* I suspect it is/was always a bigger deal for Nebraskans, particularly those in western NE, or the many expats in the Denver metro area, at least that's what I'm told by cousins.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.