header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Kansas St at Texas

(Read 10013 times)

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Kansas St at Texas
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 06:19:51 PM »
Looking at the stats its hard to believe this game went extra innings

Total yards 546 to 380

1st downs 32 to 16

we beat the cats in every category except field goal accuracy

I was very happy with Sam's performance

He threw 380 yards and 2 TDs

not bad for a freshman
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 10:11:28 PM »
Looking at the stats 320 - it just shows you how the wizard knows how to steal wins from losses.

This is why its so good that we won, the wizard didn't steal one from the less experienced Herman.  But he came damn close.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2017, 11:31:32 PM »
Yup.  This is the EXACT slow, muddled, draggy kind of game that the Purple Wizard usually lures us into and then beats our heads in with.

Unfortunately for KSU, for the time being at least,slow, muddled, and draggy is the kind of football Texas can excel at.  Our struggles have diminished their advantage.  So... hooray, us, I guess! :)

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 11:41:34 PM »
I wonder if we can get Iowa St to put on Horn uniforms and go to the RRS next week
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 11:45:20 PM »
They would have a better chance wearing Iowa St uniforms.  OU would kill them in Texas gear.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »
They would have a better chance wearing Iowa St uniforms.  OU would kill them in Texas gear.
true enough
we are dooooooooomed

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 10:59:13 AM »
Yup.  This is the EXACT slow, muddled, draggy kind of game that the Purple Wizard usually lures us into and then beats our heads in with.

Unfortunately for KSU, for the time being at least,slow, muddled, and draggy is the kind of football Texas can excel at.  Our struggles have diminished their advantage.  So... hooray, us, I guess! :)
That must explain how they lost to Vanderbilt.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 11:01:24 AM »
I never had problems with traffic in all my years of going to UT games.  Maybe it's different now.  

Attendance is down all over the country, even with these SEC teams you speak of.  It's a problem nearly every AD is trying to come up with a solution to.  I have several, but as per usual, people in charge never ask my opinion.  

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »
How bout ticket prices are too f****** high

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »
That's one.  Two is quit making tickets so hard to get in the first place while making them so available to corporations and big TAF donors.  Those are the people who don't show up to games, and if they do, they're hardly raucous.  Three, quit charging $30 for the lots that used to be free.  

Look, I just came up with a three-point plan that's better than anything our AD has done in years.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 12:53:46 PM »
I think to some extent that NFL and NCAA Div. 1 football is suffering from the "better to burn out than to fade away" syndrome.

Everything is overkill today.  We hear of people making millions.  We get hit with commercials on the jumbotrons.  Ugly identity politics finds its way into every damn thing.  Conference realignment bullcrap.  We grow weary.

Oh, and milennials today can't get their heads out of their phones.  Who needs a football game?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:55:44 PM by BrownCounty »

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
We've talked about it before. I still maintain that the only thing college football has going for it is tribal unity. 

The actions of a group of 18-22 year olds has no real effect on my life. The outcome of these contests doesn't change my station one iota. Why, then, do I get amped up, angry, giddy, and otherwise emotional before, during, and after?

That's my tribe out there. The colors, the cheers, the songs, the group are all familiar to me. It forms an identity that satisfies the human impulse to gregariousness. 

In an attempt to look more "professional", colleges are destroying the identity of that tribe. Rather than hear the band play, they pump in hiphop music that, ordinarily, would be inspiring. This isn't the street, that isn't my identity, and that's not why I'm here. The colors and symbols are replaced by corporate logos in pursuit of money.

At some point, they tear through the "willful suspension of disbelief". I know I'm not really part of the team. Never was. I went to Texas for far too long, but that was far too long ago. I never attended Baylor at all (thus far). I choose to identify with that. As the symbolism becomes less and less, I'm more and more returned to the real fact that this is meaningless, and I'm better off casually viewing it from my living room where I can wander off when something more interesting (or meaningful) occurs.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »
Wow Mr. T.  Once again, nails.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 12:58:18 PM »
That's a big part of it.

Still, pricing out the average fan, tickets being harder to come by, the university ruining the tailgating scene that has defined our games for generations, and to a lesser extent having to play home games in the daytime is where I think it starts for us.  

The whole tribal thing is kind of interwoven into all that.  But fix those things, and the tribe is still there.  For now.  

Putting a good product on the field also helps, though it hasn't always hurt when it was lacking.  Went to a lot of rocking games in the 90's when we were horrible and everybody knew we were gonna lose 56-0 again.  

The ethos of fandom may have moved on from that now, I don't know.  

Say what you want about the tenets of Delusional Optimism, at least it's an ethos.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.