header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Week 5

(Read 13235 times)

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Week 5
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »
Thursday Night - Texas @ Iowa State.  This could be a good one.  
The stats for both teams are very similar.   Pretty close to a must win for Texas with KSU, OU and OSU coming up next.  Texas is about a 6 point favorite but I think ISU gets it done at home.

Saturday 
Baylor @ KSU  Can Baylor keep up the momentum?  I'm picking KSU in this one.
OSU @ TT   Can the Raiders stay undefeated?  I think the Pokes bounce back.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Week 5
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »
Thursday Night - Texas @ Iowa State.  This could be a good one.  
The stats for both teams are very similar.   Pretty close to a must win for Texas with KSU, OU and OSU coming up next.  Texas is about a 6 point favorite but I think ISU gets it done at home.
I'm not going to argue with your pick - you could well be right.
This next Texas game is big for Herman, if he wants to leverage the moral victory at USC.  If we lose to Iowa St, here come the naysayers in a big way.  If Texas pulls out a win in this one, then a few of the upcoming losses will be more palatable.
The problem is that entitled Texas fans have no respect for Iowa St, so the fallout could be ugly.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
Iowa State's a decent team and could certainly beat this Texas squad.

I agree that Texas fans are entitled, but losing to Iowa State and Kansas is never going to be okay at Texas, any more than Alabama fans would accept losing to Vanderbilt or Ohio State fans would accept losing to Northwestern.

Iowa State, Kansas, those are the teams that Texas MUST beat if Texas is ever going to get back to being a good program.  A loss to Iowa State this year would be a pretty strong indicator that nothing has changed and we're in for another 5-7 type season, and that's something that Texas fans won't accept, nor should they.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 04:06:06 PM »
we grew up a little bit two weeks ago

if we dont win this Thursday it will surprise me very much

The current line favors UT by 6

I think final score will be UT 35 Iowa St 20
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 04:27:24 PM »
I watched Iowa St play Iowa earlier in the season, and they ain't no slouch.  I will be pleased with a win.

Methinks nothing's going to come easy these first few years for Herman, but that's what the $5MM is for.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:18:03 PM »
It appears that Buechele will start against the Iowa St this Thursday

I find that very interesting

They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »
It appears that Buechele will start against the Iowa St this Thursday

I find that very interesting
Well, here's the bottom line - Texas defense had a stellar outing against USC, and Texas lost.
Yes, Ehlinger made some nice plays, and he fought hard down the home stretch.  But again, Texas D was stellar, and Texas lost.
You can't yank Buchelle based on anything yet.  Boo may have generated more points in the early stages of the USC game when our D was suffocating them.  We could have used more points then.
Sam throws hard.  Sam looks tough.  Sam looks rugged.  Sam looks confident.  But Texas lost.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
I like starting Buechele over Sam

Buechele is quicker, has more experience at reading defenses and I think is a more accurate

passer

Sam on the other hand is a decent QB so overall Im pleased that both are Horns

Iowa St is a passing team and I expect them to score

I just think we have the ability to out score them plus ability to pressure their QB

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 09:35:24 AM »
If Beck can start the game off by letting Buechele throw several quick release timing routes to his talented receivers, it should make the safeties play back off the line and maybe even force the Cyclones to put in an extra DB or two.  Then the Horns could start mixing in a healthy dose of Warren.

'Course if they refuse to give Warren the ball and they expect Buechele to dance around in the backfield until the porous line gets beat and the pocket collapses, or worse yet - expect Buechele to carry the ball like he's VY, Tebow or even Ehlinger then we're doomed.

Dooomed.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 09:43:25 AM »
or worse yet - expect Buechele to carry the ball like he's VY, Tebow or even Ehlinger then we're doomed.
Maybe this is Herman's sly way to get Ehlinger the #1 spot.  Something tells me Herman leans Ehlinger, but that Buchelle has done nothing to lose the job.
At some point, Herman wants to run his offense - not tweak it around Buchelle's fragility.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 10:00:10 AM »
Maybe this is Herman's sly way to get Ehlinger the #1 spot.  Something tells me Herman leans Ehlinger, but that Buchelle has done nothing to lose the job.
At some point, Herman wants to run his offense - not tweak it around Buchelle's fragility.
or maybe TH is just trying to play the best player at each position
I think what Buechele lacks in being a running back he will more then make up for in passing
yardage

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »
I think what Buechele lacks in being a running back he will more then make up for in passing
yardage
I'm pulling for Buchelle because I like his attitude.  OTOH, I'm sick of Texas having these tiny QB's.  I desperately wanted David Ash to work out because he had some beef.
Buchelle will likely get banged up again if we can't protect for him.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 11:34:31 AM »
I liked the way Greg Davis was bringing John Chiles along.   We were on track back then.  

Then for some strange damn reason Garrett Gilbert was anointed coming out of high school without ever having to compete for the job or earn the job, Chiles graciously or begrudgingly moved to WR and Gilbert was a scarcely-used unprepared heir-apparent.

Texas has been in a tailspin like a crashing airplane ever since - going through OCs and QBs like somebody with an ragweed allergy goes through a box of Kleenex.

Meanwhile every iconic QB in college football confidentially confided he really wanted to play for Texas.  He just didn't want to play safety.

It's been a hard pill to swallow.

Sometimes I look at Buechele and Ehlinger and ask myself if they're really good or if I just imagine they're good because I've been accustomed to Squinty Gilbert, Hicks Wing Man Case, Concussion Ash, Slow Step Swoops, and Scrambling and Slinging Heard for so long.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 11:44:44 AM »
I think both our QBs are pretty good 

The main problem is our OL

They better get better in a hurry or we wont win 5 games this year

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.