header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 211232 times)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #504 on: December 18, 2017, 12:43:39 PM »
I'm surprised youngsters (<50) know what mothballs smell like.  Or even that they exist.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #505 on: December 18, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »
Go East Texas State.
It’s a solid little univ with small classes (at least in the sciences) and good profs, which meant I ended up working very closely with several, kind of like you expect out of a high end liberal arts college, except that I only had to pay $200/semester tuition.  It was an outrageously good deal.  I’ll always be grateful to ET.
Go Lions!

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: December 18, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »
It’s a solid little univ with small classes (at least in the sciences) and good profs, which meant I ended up working very closely with several, kind of like you expect out of a high end liberal arts college, except that I only had to pay $200/semester tuition.  It was an outrageously good deal.  I’ll always be grateful to ET.
Go Lions!
ET?  I thought he went home
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: December 18, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »
It’s a solid little univ with small classes (at least in the sciences) and good profs, which meant I ended up working very closely with several, kind of like you expect out of a high end liberal arts college, except that I only had to pay $200/semester tuition.
Wait, so you mean you're not really even a Sooner?

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #508 on: December 18, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
I’ve always been an OU fan.  Cheered for them my whole childhood, and my paternal grandfather went there in the 1910s/1920s, then my dad went to OU med school, and all my uncles attended there.  I didn’t go to college there - got out of the military and my parents had defected to Texas so I joined them and went to the univ closest to their place.  Four years in the usmc makes you appreciate home cooking.

Regardless I always cheered for OU.  For example later was in grad school at UVA and they played in some bowl - Citrus, Gator, whatever - and I wore an OU sweatshirt to work on the Charlottesville campus off and on during the weeks leading up to the game.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:08:54 PM by CousinFreddie »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: December 18, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »
my parents had defected to Texas so I joined them
I guess it's nostalgia or something.  People flee from one place to a better place, yet they still fly and salute the banner of the place they got the heck out of.
If some place is good enough for me to leave Texas, then I'll change my allegiance.  But of course that can't happen.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #510 on: December 18, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
It matters where you grew up.  I spent 16 of my first 18 years in Oklahoma, and all my grandparents and parents were from there, so when I think back it's all just a bunch of fond memories as a kid with all these wonderful people who took such good care of me and whom I dearly loved and who are now sadly all gone.  The fact OU football, Cardinal baseball, etc were happening then too just kind of weaves it all together into a big warm and fuzzy package of long lost childhood.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #511 on: December 18, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »
ET?  I thought he went home
ET is Lion to ya then.
For those of us attended before they joined the A&M system, it will always just be ET.
And Commerce will always be known as "Cowmess"

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: December 18, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
The fact OU football, Cardinal baseball, etc were happening then too just kind of weaves it all together into a big warm and fuzzy package of long lost childhood.
Ok I get it.  I do understand warm and fuzzy memories.  But Cardinal baseball?  As in St. Louis Cardinals?  I figured most Okies were KC Royals fans.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #513 on: December 18, 2017, 04:16:02 PM »
Ok I get it.  I do understand warm and fuzzy memories.  But Cardinal baseball?  As in St. Louis Cardinals?  I figured most Okies were KC Royals fans.
Tulsa had the Oilers, which was the Cards AAA team, and so we had KMOX St Louis (Jack Buck, Mike Shannon, and even Harry Caray back before my time, before he got on the wrong side of the Busch family) repeated on an am station in Tulsa (KVOO, I think it was) every night on the radio.  The Royals only started in 1969; we did have one neighbor who adopted them, but most of our family and friends were Cards fans (except for my maternal grandmother who was a Yankees fan because Mickey was from Spavinaw only a few miles up the road).  And, I even had a great uncle who played in the Cardinals farm system; he pitched in the minors, but never made it to the Big Show.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:18:58 PM by CousinFreddie »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #514 on: December 18, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
Just to fully disclose my Okie connections, I am from a town in NE Texas called New Boston, and I have family in Idabel, Broken Bow, etc.

My cousins from SE Oklahoma were a rough bunch, and although as children they were great ball players and tough as nails, their grown-up lives didn't turn out too well, some marred by drug addiction, etc.

If you've ever seen the movie Leaves Of Grass, that's what I come from.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #515 on: December 18, 2017, 07:51:07 PM »
ET is Lion to ya then.
For those of us attended before they joined the A&M system, it will always just be ET.
And Commerce will always be known as "Cowmess"
I thought this might clear this up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xZif3WmG7I
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: December 18, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »
Wait, so you mean you're not really even a Sooner?
y'all understand that the majority of college football fans didn't attend any university, let alone the university they root for?
Heck, what about NFL fans?  What high school do you need to attend to be worthy of rooting for an NFL team?  One in the inner city?
the inner city of New England or Green Bay?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: December 18, 2017, 10:57:02 PM »
Wow, talk about missing the whole point.

That’s kinda what the NFL is for, ya know.  For fans of football, no affiliations necessary. In the old days, you support the franchise closest to where you live.  That’s about it.

States like Alabama and Oklahoma have always had college fans for lack of a pro team.  So there is somewhat a precedent in some areas.

But then ESPN came along and created a monster where coaches are paid $6-7MM per year, players are dumber than rocks and have no business at a university, and the stands filled up with plumbers and mechanics who think calculus is found in the fresh produce section.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.