header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Wisconsin Season Thread

(Read 31427 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Wisconsin Offseason Thread
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2019, 10:57:07 AM »
well, then you'd be lying to those 4 and 5 stars that you promised playing time immediately
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2019, 12:44:45 PM »
Maybe redshirting should be a "central characteristic" for Michigan too. AM I wRoNG?
(1) Boy did you take this sensitively, but you don't have to ... unless you didn't trust that there wasn't anything offensive in what I said. At least in intent, but also in facts, I still think that's true.

(2) Harbaugh's mostly hasn't had that opportunity (and hasn't been around long enough for us to know if he'll eventually even have that interest).

At least in his first years, Michigan had to burn redshirts to put out Hoke-era fires. But like Fearless said, teams with high recruiting rankings maybe never attempt the all-redshirt style. And with the outliers (of those coaches/teams with high recruiting rankings but also redshirt more than most) they probably have outlier continuity (coaches who've been around 6+ years, to spitball a number).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:51:48 PM by Anonymous Coward »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »
(1) Boy did you take this sensitively, but you don't have to ... unless you didn't trust that there wasn't anything offensive in what I said. At least in intent, but also in facts, I still think that's true.

(2) Harbaugh's mostly hasn't had that opportunity (and hasn't been around long enough for us to know if he'll eventually even have that interest).

At least in his first years, Michigan had to burn redshirts to put out Hoke-era fires. But like Fearless said, teams with high recruiting rankings maybe never attempt the all-redshirt style. And with the outliers (of those coaches/teams with high recruiting rankings but also redshirt more than most) they probably have outlier continuity (coaches who've been around 6+ years, to spitball a number).
1. We all know the facts. There is no reason to state them here, other than to remind those fans of schools not named Michigan or OSU that those other schools are inferior. It happens a lot here, but nearly as much as it used to. Anyway, that is where my reaction stemmed from.

2. I thought Harbaugh was hired to rebuild a program - not to win immediately. Maybe I am mistaken. Anyway, you rebuild by redshirting and developing players. Michigan is not the equal of OSU (Forget STARZ - think evaluation). This could certainly change, now that Urban is gone, of course.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 02:03:25 PM »
Maybe redshirting should be a "central characteristic" for Michigan too. AM I wRoNG?
Absolutely. One of my biggest pet peeves with Harbaugh is his willingness to just burn redshirts.
Some though make sense. 5* guys with freakish ability like Rashan Gary or DPJ aren't staying 4 years let alone 5. Redshirting players like that does you no good. Everyone else is a different story however. His willingness to burn redshirts on averagely talented players like Karran Higdon or J'Marrick Woods is another story.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »
I remember being shocked a couple years ago when Michigan burned something like 17 redshirts on one recruiting class.  Probably 2 years ago.

I brought it up at the time here because I was curious.  Didn't seem to me at the time that those 17 true frosh could get enough playing time to make it worth their while.  Now, with the 4-game rule, that many shirts wouldn't be burned
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 03:44:33 PM »
Well, I guess when you make promises, you should keep them. If you promise early PT and then tell a kid he's going to use his 'shirt, well, the transfer portal beckons.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2019, 04:00:57 PM »
1. We all know the facts. There is no reason to state them here, other than to remind those fans of schools not named Michigan or OSU that those other schools are inferior. It happens a lot here, but nearly as much as it used to. Anyway, that is where my reaction stemmed from.

2. I thought Harbaugh was hired to rebuild a program - not to win immediately. Maybe I am mistaken. Anyway, you rebuild by redshirting and developing players. Michigan is not the equal of OSU (Forget STARZ - think evaluation). This could certainly change, now that Urban is gone, of course.
1. The first part may be common knowledge but we discuss less often how these two things are chunked together. That, assuming they can, coaches/teams either go nuts on recruiting rankings or go nuts on redshirts. There are many examples of coaches accomplishing neither but very few modern examples (I'm still trying to find one) of a coach executing both.
2. I can't imagine he wasn't hired to do both. Also, there's no denying his rebuilding efforts (recruiting sales pitch weighs heavily here) would have been worse off if he hadn't won 10 games that first year, and those first classes were crucial.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:11:08 PM by Anonymous Coward »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »
I don't agree with #2 at all. 

You are selling promise - and yes - even at Michigan. You are the coach who built Stanford by telling kids they could be a part of something. You could sell THAT. 

"Kids, YOU are gonna go down in history as the class that made Michigan into "Big Blue" again." 

Kinda like King Barry selling that to his 1990 class. Those kids did it. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2019, 08:03:16 PM »
Big Blue was never a Michigan nickname. That's IBM.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2019, 08:07:17 PM »
When I first started posting at the old CFN back in 2001, we had only a few Big Ten posters.

Me, Mr. TacO, Big Blue and a few others. Big Blue was a Michigan fan who not only went to UM, but he was a 30-year season ticket holder. Maybe he had it wrong? Before that, I always thought of Kentucky when I heard that phrase. But he used it a lot.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2019, 08:50:28 PM »
He did have it wrong. There's a section of Michigan fans who arrived after the mistake became popular and haven't noticed or are too stubborn to give it up. Then again, at some point a mistake like this probably gets absorbed as the new reality, sommaybe that's where we are now.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2019, 09:56:03 AM »
Ahh reminds me of old times... Our board's version of Godwin's Law:

No matter the original topic, all threads, if allowed to go long enough, become about Michigan or Ohio State. 

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2019, 10:47:46 AM »

No matter the original topic, all threads, if allowed to go long enough, become about Michigan or Ohio State.
I'm that kind of troublemaker. So the odds are definitely higher if I'm in the conversation. But this time I think I'm in the clear for not starting it. Which, by 10-year-old logic, is something. 🙃

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2019, 10:48:13 AM »

Yep, thought of that too. That stops now on this thread though.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.