header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 211249 times)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #1176 on: December 12, 2018, 03:04:15 PM »
Cowbells used to be prevalent at Texas games.  I don't recall whether they were made against the rules, or if it just fell out of fashion.

Either way, I'm happy about it, because those things were crazy annoying even if they were being used to make life more difficult for the opponent.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1177 on: December 13, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »
how about the bell ringing Techsters?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1178 on: December 13, 2018, 06:10:55 PM »
New thing these days are silent clubs.  They give you headphones & you can pick one of like three DJs so that people on the dancefloor are dancing to three different tunes while people without earphones can’t hear anything.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1179 on: December 13, 2018, 07:08:59 PM »
your son's tell you about this new fad?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1180 on: December 13, 2018, 08:28:21 PM »
I've read about silent DJ parties that kids are throwing, from the various mom womenfolk I know on Facebook.
I guess the biggest positive is, you don't have to listen to the horrendous crap that DJs play at clubs. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1181 on: December 13, 2018, 08:46:58 PM »
kids have evolved to take the social interaction out of the social setting

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1182 on: December 13, 2018, 10:57:00 PM »
No.  Remember picture of the little nurse I showed you in whatever cold bleak north Texas town we were in?

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1183 on: December 13, 2018, 10:57:40 PM »
Yeah I don't get it.  My neighbors' kids didn't bother learning to drive when they hit 16.  When I was a kid, I had everything lined up so the day I turned 15 I was taking Driver's Ed.  And the day I turned 16 I was down at the DPS office getting my driver's license.  Skipped a half day of school to do it, but that's what everyone did and the school office completely expected it.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1184 on: December 13, 2018, 11:20:50 PM »
No.  Remember picture of the little nurse I showed you in whatever cold bleak north Texas town we were in?
yup, little nurses are good

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1185 on: December 14, 2018, 07:58:06 AM »
dig it dig it

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #1186 on: December 14, 2018, 08:24:13 AM »
Yeah I don't get it.  My neighbors' kids didn't bother learning to drive when they hit 16.  When I was a kid, I had everything lined up so the day I turned 15 I was taking Driver's Ed.  And the day I turned 16 I was down at the DPS office getting my driver's license.  Skipped a half day of school to do it, but that's what everyone did and the school office completely expected it.
That's exactly what I did.  But like your neighbor kid, My niece has done the same thing.  She's 17 now, applying to colleges.... and as far as I know, hasn't driven yet.  Not sure how that's gonna work out for her.
It's a mad, mad world we live in.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1187 on: December 14, 2018, 09:14:05 AM »
The car was my freedom. I couldn't wait to get away from the house.

I always worked as a kid, when we owned the restaurant I worked there, but once I hit about 13 I made my own jobs for my own money.  I saved up for the sole purpose of having a car.  When I turned 16 I was lucky enough to be given a car by my grandparents, but I had to pay my own insurance and gas and the money went to that.

Riding a bike to work limited my range, and put a ceiling on my earnings. Once I got a car, I was able to range further out, and make more money.  I never had to beg my folks' for date money, and I was able to afford the finest Chili's and TGI Friday's date meals that my money could buy.

I understand kids these days are more connected through texting and social media, but you still can't GO anywhere without a car.  I just don't get it.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1188 on: December 14, 2018, 09:33:03 AM »
I have four sons.  Birth order sons one and four were highly motivated drivers to be, champing at the bit, raring to go, wanting a learners permit at 15, wanting to go driving at every opportunity, getting (my oldest one) or in line to get (my youngest one) a license at the earliest opportunity - their 16th birthday.

Meanwhile, birth order sons two and four played sports.  Played football, wrestled, ran track and into competitive weight lifting.  At school from 7AM to 10PM.  Never had time for drivers ed.  Hitched rides with friends.  Finally got their licenses when it fit into their schedules.

That's the way it goes.   If you get caught up in this crazy world crazy things can happen.

Good things too.  Number three son is comparing several scholarship offers.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1189 on: December 14, 2018, 10:40:24 AM »
Sweet, good luck to him!

I get how busy it can be, I had a similar schedule in high school plus working part time.  But that's precisely why I had to get a license and a car.  My parents both worked full time, they weren't around to take me anywhere even if they'd been willing to (which they were not, once I was old enough to drive myself).

Just a sign o' the times I suppose.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.