header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Boomer Sooner

(Read 27831 times)

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
Re: Boomer Sooner
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2018, 09:47:22 PM »
Weird post BC.  Baker didn't play defense, which is where OU lost this game.  

In yesterday's game, one could rightly throw stones at the Sooner defense, the Sooner kicking game, or the Sooner play calling in OT, but not at Baker Mayfield.  He played very well, and as always was highly durable even after taking a really tough hit with a knee to the rib cage about halfway through the game, and the only evidence of the flu was in some of his passes which weren't quite as spot on as normal, but still they were pretty good overall as he completed 23 of 35.  He ended up with two TD passes, some great running plays, and even a TD reception on one of the most impressive plays I've seen in a long time.

Overall Baker did fine.  While the fact that he couldn't get the team to a NC does mean he won't be considered one of the greatest Sooner players ever, still yet he ends his tenure at OU with two conference championships, a Heisman, a great Sugar bowl win, and a handful of school records, and so he lands up there pretty high on the list.  I'd say roughly about where Colt McCoy is on the Texas list.

Anyway, OU has some work to do to replace Baker now, and to do something about the defense which had some serious lapses yesterday.  Nevertheless, they played very respectably well against a talented Georgia team with a very good coaching staff.  

I'm overall proud of OU for a great 12-2 season, and likely another top 5 finish, and look forward to 2018.
Three conference championships, Fred.
Not much consolation after seeing a Rose Bowl victory slip away, but still true.
Play Like a Champion Today

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2018, 01:07:19 AM »
True, good catch, and yes, not much consolation.  #%$&#¥!!!

WC4E

• Walk On
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2018, 01:11:54 PM »
Yeah, Hold On Loosely....illustrated the other day....be careful snooping through your children's phones, you might be better off not knowing some things. :96:

Speaking of hoops....Seems old Lonnie can still coach and still recruit.  I sure wish that cheerleader had kept an aspirin between her knees back in the day.

Good to see you guys, have a good one.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2018, 08:55:17 PM »
So OU finishes with a third straight B12 championship, wins over rivals Texas and OSU, a win at the Horseshoe, two wins in one season over TCU, a Heisman among a lot of individual awards on both sides of the line, and at #3 in the country.  Not bad for a rookie head coach.  

It’s ridiculous to expect any more than that.  But the way the semi with UGa went down, I’m still left wondering what could have been.  This is what’s wrong with the playoffs, I suppose.  Only one team can end on a win.  

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2018, 07:50:27 AM »
I really wanted OU to get the natty because I thought this team might be the only one capable of it for the foreseeable future.  They were definitely right there with anyone in the country.  That is not to say I expected it to happen.  
I enjoyed this season tremendously.  It was one of the greats.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2018, 09:41:34 AM »
So OU finishes with a third straight B12 championship, wins over rivals Texas and OSU, a win at the Horseshoe, two wins in one season over TCU, a Heisman among a lot of individual awards on both sides of the line, and at #3 in the country.  Not bad for a rookie head coach.
Given that it had anything to do with the rookie head coach.

For perspective, Johnny Manziel won the Heisman, and A&M beat Nick Saban in a 1-loss season.  As a result, Kevin Sumlin was immediately given a raise and Kliff Kingsbury (OC) was hired as Head Coach of Texas Tech.

Kevin was fired and Kliff's last year will be this year.  Turns out they can't coach.
Lincoln Riley took over for Bob Stoops, who is part of the Nick Saban, Urban Meyer fraternity.  Big shoes to fill over time, but easy shoes to fill while it's still Bob's team.

College football is not so sophisticated that the QB doesn't mean anything.  Where's Gene Chizik now?  (Cam Newton)  Where's Charlie Strong now? (Teddy Bridgewater)

Was it Baker or was it Lincoln?  The future will tell.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:54:22 AM by BrownCounty »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »
hoping for an entertaining hoops game tonight in Norman

that young kid is the real deal
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2018, 09:07:17 PM »
nice win

I don't hate the Jayhawks, just tired of seeing them win the conference

similar to the Pats winning the SB
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
RE Big 12 Basketball

December 29th through January 2nd was truly remarkable but we didn't know it at the time because we didn't have the bigger context.

During that five day window Big 12 road teams beat Big 12 home teams in eight of nine games.

Since then... eh... not so much.   Just three times in 31 games.

Crazy.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2018, 07:54:22 PM »
Man, every once in a while I think about that semi game with Georgia, and the fact that we had a half time lead, and should have made it to the final at least and possibly even win it all. 

Dadgummit.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.