header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: You Know What I Hate....?

(Read 82781 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: You Know What I Hate....?
« Reply #700 on: February 04, 2019, 06:25:33 PM »
Unprotected left turns at traffic lights may be the most unfair thing in America.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #701 on: February 06, 2019, 07:48:24 PM »
I like the flashing yellow left turn light
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #702 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:06 PM »
I like the flashing yellow left turn light
That's the fastest way on the road to confuse grandma!
To be fair, most other people think it means, "Slow down, stop randomly, and proceed in a haphazard fashion as the spirit moves you".

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #703 on: February 07, 2019, 01:37:25 PM »
I understand most other folks have issues.  But, for myself, I know it means I can turn left as long as I don't cause an accident,  and I'm on my way!

up here traffic isn't a thing and many times grandma isn't in front of me at the light - it's wide open
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #704 on: February 07, 2019, 05:48:37 PM »
Yes. It's the traffic light's way of saying, "I'm not holding your hand through this. Be your own best judge of when it's safe!".
That's just a little more abstract thought than some folk can bear.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #705 on: February 07, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »
some folks should not be allowed behind the wheel in traffic

and I absolutely hate that they are encouraged and allowed to drive

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #706 on: May 07, 2019, 03:13:13 AM »
Well, Hooky, I hate the fact that you’re not here anymore.  

But I know you started this as a light hearted thread of trivial hates, so here’s one from me:

I hate it when you’re introduced to someone and as soon as they say their name you’ve already forgotten it.  And then you keep waiting for someone to use their name in a sentence, so you can recover, but no one ever does.

And then the very worst part:

In the ensuing conversation, they  repeatedly use your name.  Show off!

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #707 on: May 07, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »

This is weird.  I don't even know if this board lives on...

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #708 on: May 07, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »
but we will... carry on, that is. 

one of the most impactfull losses i've ever endured was a former team leader.  he died in the initial seize of Baghdad, and did so as he lived a hero in the true sense of the word.  he didn't have to do what he did, but he rushed into fire in effort to draw fire in a thin skinned M998.  the others present said it looked like star was with all the tracers hammering him.  his plan set several free from the position they were attempting to hold and they lived on.  as you can imagine, when all of this was happening, the radio was damn near ablaze with traffic.  when the lance corporal reported over the air that GySgt Jeffery Bohr was hit and lost, the radio went silent for almost a minute- in the middle of all of that.  the first words spoken afterwards was "last station, please say again your last", and followed by another silence.  it was surreal that man went down- he was the last one who could fall by everyone's reckoning.  

years later i'm standing in my own backyard.  this is deeply personal, y'all... but i'm surrounded by friends from various walks of life, and some from that walk.  their kids are playing in the pool.  the gals are looking at the bottoms of their wine glasses mostly, and chatting/laughing in between... the guys are tossing quantities of beer between shots, and we all watch the smoker waiting to see what comes out of it, if it's fit for eatin', and realizing the more we drink the more fit it will be.  it's kicking off the summer season day- aka memorial day.  

one of the fellers asks "what do you think Sgt Bohr (we knew him as a Sgt before his promo's) would think about this?"... we were momentarily quiet and the smart ass of the bunch makes one of Sgt Bohr's famous quotes of severe disdain and ridicule directed directly at the guy who asked.... and we laughed our assess off, and continued that form of remembrance.  but the truth of the matter was and IS- he would have been damn happy for what we were doing. Our families, our lives, our relationships, all of it.  He once said to us about reenlisting "you don't do it for the money for damn sure, and not for the 'corps', you do it for your brothers"... that's how he lived and that's how he died.  

Hooky lived a code, too- he kept us together and knew how to present things none of us have yet mastered.  he's akin to my former team lead, though, in that his rarely disclosed sentiment was, beyond doubt, fellowship with each other.  friendship.  an element that is severely lacking in our society and that exist with the people of this community in display of a very exceedingly rare internet form... that is one helluva (he loved that word) legacy. 

I hate it when people go all sentimental when it's uncalled for.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #709 on: May 07, 2019, 09:30:45 AM »
I hate it when people go all sentimental when it's uncalled for. 

No worries Drew.  It was called for.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #710 on: May 07, 2019, 10:55:21 AM »
Hooky did love the world and the people in it.

He encouraged others around him to love life and enjoy it.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #711 on: May 07, 2019, 04:27:44 PM »
The reason why I bumped this thread was to carry on with something cool that Hooky started.  I think that might be why Erin bumped the covers thread he started too, just guessing

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #712 on: May 07, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »
I hate Funerals

rarely attend

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #713 on: May 07, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »
I hate funerals, too, and hope I don't have to go to any more for a very long time.   It's hard going to them, for sure, but it can help bring peace & comfort among those feeling the loss the most.    I felt super weird going to this one at first, but seriously felt like it was the right thing to do and I didn't feel weird at all leaving afterwards. 

I did bump the Covers thread, because I could pretty much talk about music all day and did want to keep it alive.     I hate that we're all feeling a little lost/numb/helpless, but we do still have eachother.   

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.