header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: oSu @ Texas - how will it go down

(Read 15282 times)

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: oSu @ Texas - how will it go down
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 01:23:42 PM »
The rushing totals need to shift from the QB to the RBs.  If I’m Coach Peewee, I’d see this as an ideal time to spring some new running plays that don’t center on SE on the Pokes.  Given the past plays Texas has run, OSU will likely be set up to go after the QB pretty much single mindedly.  Could really catch Coach I’m-A-Man by surprise.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »
oSu isn't just a bad match for our defense - they're a bad match for everyone's defense because there's nothing they can't do. They have large possession receivers. They have fast seam busting receivers. They have do it all tailbacks. The QB will eat up yards if there's no one in front of him. Whatever you take away form the Cowboys schematically, they just exploit in other areas. You're only allowed to use 11 players.

It's hard to imagine the Texas front 7, even as crafty as they are, being able to rattle Mason Rudolph into bad decisions, which stinks, because that's what it'll take. 

The Texas OL becomes "fair" if they're allowed to play together and not have to replace pieces in situ. Sam is obviously a gamer, and will try to simply will the offense forward. I believe Texas will score a respectable amount of points, but unless oSu helps out by making mistakes and gifting turnovers, it won't be enough.

Randomizing factor: For once, Texas is the underdog home team getting an 11am kick. Nobody likes playing those games.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
Meh, TCU didn't seem to have much problems with them.

I'm not saying UT has the secondary to pull it off, but there's plenty of ways to stop OSU.  

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »
It wasn't just this past Saturday, it's been the entire season, and that's pretty much the point a couple of us have been making.  The Texas offense simply doesn't have anything aside from running the QB.

The o-line is beyond terrible.  There are a couple of legitimate reasons for that, but it doesn't change the reality.  The Texas running backs are also beyond terrible.  There's really no legitimate reason for that, it's just bad and incredibly disappointing.  Texas has no TE and hasn't for around a decade or so.  The Texas WRs occasionally show flashes but when the QB is constantly running for his life, there's only so much they can do, which isn't nearly enough.

Sam has done a good job for the position he's been placed in.  But there isn't anywhere near enough support around him to create a credible offense.  The current offensive design has already injured both of our QBs, and I have little doubt it will only get worse.  That's a pretty sad statement I have to make, and not for the team's offensive production, but rather for the health of these two kids.  
I'll rephrase.  That's been their best production, but I've seen other Texas games thus far where they were still trying to execute the rest of the offense.  What I mean to say is that in the RRS at some point Texas dropped all pretense and basically admitted the fact they had nothing else working.  
You can lose running Texas' normal offense.  You can stop even trying anything else and run Ehlinger every play, and still lose, but also get him hurt.  I don't know what the solution is there.  
I feel your pain about the OL.  Ours is because we have 3 tr. fr. on the line, and one RS fr.  What's Texas' deal?

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 01:45:51 PM »
and yet Vegas only makes UT 7 pt dogs

They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »
and yet Vegas only makes UT 7 pt dogs
Helmet value is worth 10 points in Vegas.  Vegas odds are only good when both or neither teams are helmet schools.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »
Yeah but Vegas usually just assigns 3 points to home field advantage, which is often an underestimate.  Here I think helmet matters as Texas historically is intimidating to the Pokes.  Remember those amazing Texas comebacks even up in Stillwater?  Maybe Texas had a deeper bench back then, but I also think it was a longhorn psyche out job over Pete’s boys.

Anyway -7 seems about right to me, and in fact if I ever bet anything more than a single beer on sports (which is my limit, a gentleman’s bet), I think it’s gonna be closer than that, as I’ve already said above.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
but I also think it was a longhorn psyche out job over Pete’s boys.
I'm beginning to think the only psyche job here is the one you are weaving across this thread.  Very astute.  The more hope you can give someone, the more they are shattered when it doesn't work out.  You are stirring the Texas pot.
Can Texas win this game?  Oh sure, if the freshman RB Carter rips off a 100 yard game, giving Sam another dimension from which to attack.  Without a Texas run threat, this is an easy meal for oSu.  But in addition, Texas defensive secondary has to suddenly have a clue.  However, if the Texas DL can penetrate Rudolph's safe space, and if we can rattle his cage with a few blitz packages, we may have something.
To some extent, OU's OL made our DBs look bad.  Most times, Baker had time to find the wide open guy.  I'm hoping the oSu OL is a little more porous.  If so, we can wreak havoc on Rudolph, and force them into running screens and such.
I still say we lose by 17.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 10:48:52 PM »
Meh, TCU didn't seem to have much problems with them.

I'm not saying UT has the secondary to pull it off, but there's plenty of ways to stop OSU.  
TCU's defense has been much, much better than Texas' for about a decade.  I don't believe it SHOULD be that way, but that doesn't change reality.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »
I'm beginning to think the only psyche job here is the one you are weaving across this thread.  Very astute.  The more hope you can give someone, the more they are shattered when it doesn't work out.  You are stirring the Texas pot.
Can Texas win this game?  Oh sure, if the freshman RB Carter rips off a 100 yard game, giving Sam another dimension from which to attack.  Without a Texas run threat, this is an easy meal for oSu.  But in addition, Texas defensive secondary has to suddenly have a clue.  However, if the Texas DL can penetrate Rudolph's safe space, and if we can rattle his cage with a few blitz packages, we may have something.
To some extent, OU's OL made our DBs look bad.  Most times, Baker had time to find the wide open guy.  I'm hoping the oSu OL is a little more porous.  If so, we can wreak havoc on Rudolph, and force them into running screens and such.
I still say we lose by 17.
Cousin Fred is an evil bastage, always trying to build up Texas when the Horns are undeserving, just so he can tear UT to shreds when not living up to his (faux) lofty expectations.
One mean SOB, that's what he is.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »
Lol sure whatever.  I know ... your team is always in some state of doomage.  

You Horns fans are the biggest bunch of sandbaggers the porch, and possibly all of college football smackdom, have ever seen.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
I'm beginning to feel differently today.

You know, as if Texas might could like...<gulp> win or something.

Just let me run with it.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
I’m glad you’re coming around and putting some of those sandbags back in that Texas sized whine barn y’all always have at the ready.

The key of course is whether Texas can “run with it”

That’s the question, but there’s so much to work with.  Look at how well they played in the second half vs OU or in the wins over KSU and ISU or in hanging with USC.  

I’ll go even further say that I think Texas is going to beat Ok State.  By a razors edge, but I’m calling this one for the Horns.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Texas came to play today- they've done a great job of shutting them pokes down! (so far)

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.