header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Big 12 Sports Commentary

(Read 19011 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Big 12 Sports Commentary
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 11:17:40 AM »
4 game series with the red hot Cardinal.  If Texas can hold its own I will be pleased.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
hey, y'all beat the Cyclones in Hilton South last night!
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 05:56:38 PM »
4 game series with the red hot Cardinal.  If Texas can hold its own I will be pleased.
The “red hot Cardinal” ... so odd, as it doesn’t refer to a bird spp or a position in the Catholic Church, but just the color, in a kind of holistic way ... since it’s not “the cardinals” in the same way it’s the Cleveland Browns or the Cincinnati Reds.  Instead those teams if they followed the Stanford approach would “The Cleveland Brown” or “the Cincinnati Red”. And their mascot is something wholly unrelated to the color: a tree.
It’s a real head scratcher how all that came to be, and I haven’t heard a good explanation from anyone who’s attended there either.  It’s all a kind of I dunno <shrug>
It’s like, if the university was a person, they’d woken up from a long drunken binge with these weird nicknames tattooed on their forehead.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:58:31 PM by CousinFreddie »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 10:02:09 PM »
As I vaguely recall, the Cardinal gravitated toward their ambiguous, innocuous, and noncommittal mascot (it's still not official I think) as a result of previously recognizing the controversial "Stanford Indian" mascot.  Similarly, the tree and its inoffensive character became a symbol as well, although it's actually the band's mascot, and not an official representative of the university itself.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 10:03:07 PM »
Or something.

Anyway, BEAT THE HELL OUTTA TREE!

I'll be at the games tomorrow and Saturday, still working on Sunday.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 10:09:49 PM »
Just a little more than a week ago, Augie Garrido & Skip Bertman threw out the 1st pitch for the Texas-LSU series. Last weekend Augie suffered a stroke and today he passed away.

Rest in peace, small ball shaman.  Thank you for the memories and wins.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 10:58:07 PM »
RIP Augie
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »
Texas baseball is below average.  Ever since the LHN, baseball attendance has dropped big time.   The only reason I keep my season tickets is if we ever host a regional / super regional again I get my seats.    
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:44:51 AM by TexasFan »

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 09:27:22 AM »
Your a true fan
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2018, 11:25:02 AM »
Oh man - that’s a bummer about Augie.

Tip of the hat to an alltime great.  

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »
Just a little more than a week ago, Augie Garrido & Skip Bertman threw out the 1st pitch for the Texas-LSU series. Last weekend Augie suffered a stroke and today he passed away.

Rest in peace, small ball shaman.  Thank you for the memories and wins.
I missed this post and didnt find out until this morning
sad news
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2018, 11:51:47 PM »
Texas baseball is below average.  
I disagree with that assessment. The schedule has been daunting and they’re still trying to find pitching. Pierce is tinkering. It’s March.  It’s early.  I still think they will compete for the Big 12 host a Regional and put up a fight in a Super.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
RIP Augie.  

As for baseball, I love that so many great teams are willing and able to schedule each other OOC early in the season,  makes it fun for fans and an immeasurable learning experience for the teams.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2018, 07:38:08 PM »
Good weekend for the Horns.  The sweep over Kansas along with Baylor taking 2 of 3 from Tech puts Texas in a good spot.

I love sweeps.  I can’t even remember all the times only winning series 2-1 created standings drama even for good teams that went far at Omaha.

The last few innings of game 3 got hairy but Texas kept its foot on Kansas”s throat throughout.

We just need middle relievers.  Nolan, Henley and Shugart have about 6 good innings each.  Ocassionally one may go 9 innings but not without getting nicked up.  Ridgeway can get the final 3 to 5 outs more times than not (though not as consistently as I’d like).  We just need the bridge.  We have enough quality arms.  David Pierce just needs to find the right person, in the right measure, in the right situation.

Fascinating process to watch.

And with our next biggest challenges on the last two weekends of the season, I love Texas’s chances.

This could be a special year.  Kind of like 2000 was for Augie.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:39:44 PM by CharleyHorse46 »

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.