header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Evil Songs

(Read 12401 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Evil Songs
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
Are there songs that you hate for two reasons?

1 Because they are terrible insipid songs with no redeeming value to begin with, and 

2. Because they get stuck in your head

The familia and I went to Fiesta Texas and while we were in Pete's Eats, they played "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies.

I have heard this song a couple dozen times in my life and I absolutely despise it.  In part, because it attaches to my brain like a bacterial infection and repeats itself over and over again.

I don't want a candy girl.  I just want. to. be. left. alone.

Why isn't there an app for that?  Or OTC medication?  Or something?

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Evil Songs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »
I'm more annoyed by the use of that song in an artificial sweetener ad campaign, than I am by the song itself.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:25:04 PM »
The songs from commercials always get stuck in my head.   Like the Farmers-Only jingle, or the "Ford is the BEST in Texas" song. 

As far as full fledged songs, I'm glad the Gangham Style song went out of mainstream play because that one got super annoying.  Made that S.Korean guy rich, though, so I guess it was a bit of a phenomenon but I always had to change the station when it popped on because I'd have that beat going on in my head unwillingly for far too long for my liking. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 03:25:51 PM »
Songs from commercials are precisely why I created the other thread! 

For straight-up "evil songs" I'll throw out Debbie Gibson's "Only In My Dreams."  I really hated that song, but any time I heard it, it would be stuck in my head for hours.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »
I'll preface this by saying that I like Hall and Oates.  I think "She's Gone" and "Sara Smile" stand up well as R&B ballads.

But along about 1981 they had this song called "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" that must've been maliciously and repetitiously calculated to worm its way into a person's frontal lobe and stay for days or weeks on end.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 04:08:24 PM »
I consider Hall and Oates to  be pretty close to yacht rock, and I think one defining characteristic of yacht rock, is that ALL of those songs were maliciously and repetitiously calculated to worm their way into a person's frontal lobe.

Please note, I'm not saying I don't like yacht rock, I actually love most of it.  But, it's definitely evil sometimes.

Think... "I'm alright... nobody worry 'bout me... why you got to put up a fight?... why can't you just let me be?..."

Yeah.  You're welcome.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »
Kenny Loggins.

You know, Jim Messina kept him tethered to real, if not entirely profitable music.  And then he just went nuts.

Seriously isn't Highway to the Danger Zone just the fourth verse to I'm All Right, with Footloose being the second and Lindsay Buckingham chiming in with Holiday Road as the third?

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 04:51:21 PM »
the theme to CaddyShack is golden!
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »
I'll preface this by saying that I like Hall and Oates.  I think "She's Gone" and "Sara Smile" stand up well as R&B ballads.

But along about 1981 they had this song called "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" that must've been maliciously and repetitiously calculated to worm its way into a person's frontal lobe and stay for days or weeks on end.
Brian McKnight covered "I Can't Go For That" on one of his early albums, and it kinda has the same effect.  There's better songs on the album, but that on track was always what kept popping up in my head.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 05:28:50 PM »
I'll tell you a ditty that has stuck with me for ages....

No more bull
No more bull
C'mon down to Bastrop that's where all the bull stops....

And then announcer says "Longhorn Ford & Mercury, Bastrop Texas"

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
I consider Hall and Oates to  be pretty close to yacht rock, and I think one defining characteristic of yacht rock, is that ALL of those songs were maliciously and repetitiously calculated to worm their way into a person's frontal lobe.

Please note, I'm not saying I don't like yacht rock, I actually love most of it.  But, it's definitely evil sometimes.

Think... "I'm alright... nobody worry 'bout me... why you got to put up a fight?... why can't you just let me be?..."

Yeah.  You're welcome.

Ever see those old Yacht Rock videos on YouTube?  Not sure if it's a small niche that just happened to land on my particular sense of humor, musical taste, and trivial knowledge, but I thought they were hilarious back when they came out.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMTI8vg7A5U       First one.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 05:37:00 PM »
Yacht Rock???

I'm not familiar with the term or it's definition

and I'm happy to stay that way

sounds absolutely dreadful

now wondering if it's an optional station on Pandora?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 06:52:06 PM »
Yacht Rock???

I'm not familiar with the term or it's definition

and I'm happy to stay that way

sounds absolutely dreadful

now wondering if it's an optional station on Pandora?
It has its own Sirius/XM station, so I'm certain you can call it up on Pandora.
And you, being the late 70s music listening mofo I know you to be, have no doubt experienced-- and ENJOYED-- yacht rock.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 10:31:40 PM »
late 70s is good as long as its not too poppy

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.