header pic

The PAC Forum at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Tomorrow Game

(Read 12988 times)

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Tomorrow Game
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
I made a post on the old board talking about football in the PAC. I think part of it is purely geography. The B1G, B12, and SEC are highly clustered. The ACC is a bit of a far-ranging conference, but it's in an area where everyone (absent the North East) follows CFB.

The P12 is spread FAR and WIDE. You have geographic rivalries (USC/UCLA, UA/ASU, Stan/Cal, OU/OSU, UW/WSU), but basically outside of those, there really aren't a lot of "driving distance" games. A lot of B1G or SEC games are available within a 4-5 hour drive. If you live in the "center" of the P12, i.e. the Bay Area, there's nothing within 6 hours drive. 

So you add all the other things, like beautiful weather into November, like strong pro sports pretty much everywhere except Oregon and Utah, like the fact that so many people are transplants, etc, and people just don't devote their Saturday to CFB the way they do in other parts of the country. They might watch their own team, but they don't sit and watch football from the early B1G kickoffs at 9 AM all the way to the late P12 games. 

Oh, and I don't think "their own team" is even as big of a thing in CA. Stanford and USC are very small, private schools. UC schools in general are VERY difficult to get into, and there are a lot of them. So most people here in CA didn't attend those schools. They went to a different UC, or to a Cal State school, or Cal Poly, or private, etc. The ones who are still CFB fans despite not attending one of those are usually so because one of their parents went to one of those big four. 

Culturally, most of the people I know here in SoCal that care about CFB aren't from here. USC gets a lot of bandwagon fans when they're good, but those are USC fans, not CFB fans.

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
Re: Tomorrow Game
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 12:00:53 PM »
Well said bwar. 
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.