header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Purdue 2018 Season Thread

(Read 3651 times)

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Purdue 2018 Season Thread
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:09:37 PM »
Thought I'd kick this one off...

Two key storylines I see right now:

• Based on numbers, right now Purdue looks to be about 7-8 scholarships over the 85 limit for 2018. Obviously sentiment within Purdue fandom is that the coaching staff wouldn't have allowed this many incoming players to sign unless they were pretty sure those slots would open up due to transfers/etc. And I suspect this is somewhat common when a new coaching staff comes in, as there will be defections of certain players who fit the old coach's scheme and are pretty certain now that they won't get any playing time. But this will be a developing story during spring/summer until the numbers come in at/below 85.
  • Purdue goes into 2018 with the same, if not more, uncertainty at QB than they did in 2017. Blough's timeline from his ankle injury probably keeps him somewhat restricted for spring ball, if he can participate at all. Sindelar had surgery for his torn ACL right after the bowl game, so probably will miss all of spring ball and probably all/most of the summer too. Although apparently it was a minor tear, so perhaps he will be ready for the season or can work out on a limited fashion during fall camp. But Purdue has Nick Sipe, a highly recruited guy, who redshirted last year, as well as Jack Plummer, a favorite of Brohm coming in as a frosh. They also have Jared Sparks [3rd string this year but saw the field at WR position and occasional wildcat] and Griffin Alstott on the roster ostensibly still at the QB position. Any of those players might see some run in spring and summer/fall practice and could impress and build rapport with the WR corps, many of whom will be new.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:45:04 AM by ELA »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Purdue 2018 Offseason Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 02:45:49 PM »
Most of the schools in the Big Ten are committed to giving players four years. In general, I look at players who are RS juniors (4th year) when I look at who might be leaving. I have no issue with this - particularly if the player is going to get a degree.

I DO have a problem when coaches run kids off if they realize they simply can't play. At least give the kid 4 years.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »
I doubt that Brohm is telling these kids that their scholarship will get yanked. I'll bet he's telling them that if they want to stay, they're welcome to, but based on X, Y, and Z (scheme, talent, incoming recruits) that there's very little chance they'll ever see the field. And that hey, if you want to transfer, we'll do everything we can to help you in that process. 

He doesn't seem like the type to just "run players off". But I'm sure he's telling them with full honesty that if they are in this to see the field, it's probably never going to happen if they stay.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 04:08:59 PM »
I guarantee you he already knows who is leaving. He's not 7-8 over the limit by accident. If a kid has 4 years and is going to graduate, it's OK to say "you're done here" and let him move on. If he wants to play (and is any good at it) he'll find a place to play and get a masters. Nothing wrong with that.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

jhetfield99

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 08:12:57 PM »
Per GBI they're currently 2 under next year counting the Dec signees.  1 will go to top WR Rondale Moore who is expected to announce Purdue on Saturday (he had been a Texas commit for a while but has long known the Brohm family and wants to start right away.)  The other will likely got a 5th yr transfer on either OL or front 7.  Hopefully they can find another kickass player like McCollum.

Also, they expect a couple more spots to open.  Unfortunately one is a guy they can't afford to lose, Eddy Wilson, who again isn't completing his academics satisfactorily.

grillrat

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:43:17 AM »
  Hopefully they can find another kickass player like McCollum.

I don't care if they can find another player who can kick ass, I just want a player who can kick.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:14:58 PM »
Posted this in the recruiting thread, but WR Rondale Moore (4* according to 247) committed to the Boilers during the Army All-American Game. Not often that we have a recruit *in* that game.

That only makes our recruiting class 42nd in the nation and 10th in the conference (according to 247), but both marks are well beyond what Hazell ever did, and probably beyond what Hope was doing although I didn't look back that far.

I think we might have several WR recruits coming in who could be instant impact guys, and Moore is without a doubt one of those. Although I don't know what that will mean for Jackson Anthrop. I would expect that Brohm is smart enough to figure out a way to use both of them regularly, even though I think Moore is the better overall talent.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:02:56 AM »
I'm really liking what Purdue is doing right now. If Brohm stays I think PU is going to start making some real noise. It's already starting and it's great to see.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
I'm really liking what Purdue is doing right now. If Brohm stays I think PU is going to start making some real noise. It's already starting and it's great to see.
Plus the bar to reach #2 in the West is so low
:29:

WhiskeyM

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 11:41:24 AM »
I think Brohm stays at least 4 years.  He's not the type of guy that covets money and fame.  He loves the game, and has blue collar values, he represents himself in negotiations.  Purdue is a good fit for him.  I never once worried about Tennessee or any other jobs that Brohm was a "target" for.  It was all nonsense.  I think Louisville is the only job that would worry me, it's his home, his Alma mater, and the family is royalty there.

WhiskeyM

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 11:50:31 AM »
Moore was a great get for Purdue.  As mentioned, he was committed to Texas, and also had offers from Ohio State, Georgia, and a bunch of other B1G, ACC, and SEC programs.

Moore is a real "stretch the field" WR.  I don't see how Brohm keeps him on the sidelines.  Watching video on him, he reminds me of a Dorien Bryant type WR.  Anthrop, who has the heart of a lion, will most likely have to see time on special teams and special plays.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 02:30:20 PM »
Moore is a real "stretch the field" WR.  I don't see how Brohm keeps him on the sidelines.  Watching video on him, he reminds me of a Dorien Bryant type WR.  Anthrop, who has the heart of a lion, will most likely have to see time on special teams and special plays.
I don't think that in any head-to-head matchup, Anthrop will beat out Moore for a spot. But I do think Anthrop is one of our better receivers, and that Brohm will find ways to keep him on the field without taking Moore off.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 02:52:32 PM »
Plus the bar to reach #2 in the West is so low
:29:
Darn. I'd have thought MSU fans would recognize that Northwestern was pretty good this past season.

:96:
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.