header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Appalachian State thread

(Read 8684 times)

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Appalachian State thread
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2018, 07:51:46 AM »
If the NFL's SOS is that convoluted, then why did you bring it up in the first place?!?

I'm perfectly even keeled.  I could do a deep dive and look at the middle 8 teams of Boise's schedule vs the middle 8 vs Iowa's (or whoever else's) schedule, trimming off the extremes and really reveal the difference between a real schedule and a HIGH SCHOOL schedule, but I didn't deem it a worthwhile use of my time.  Because it's obvious.

I keep forgetting nothing is obvious anymore.  Everything's a damn debate - teach the controversy, right?!?
The NFL SOS isn’t so convoluted. It’s the same SOS system you referenced earlier. But you’re treating SOS like a matter of choice, rather than mostly a reality imprinted on a team.

Now it looks like we’re at an impasse as to the meaning of even keeled. I argue that deciding half the sport isn’t even worth calling college football is at best only somewhat bombastic. Your disagree. That seems obvious to me.

And for even keeled, you seem a hint mad at the end. In truth, we’re not so far apart. I think a mid-major SOS is worst than a major conference one. I think the SEC east schedule is better than a few division schedules but worst than a lot, But I don’t get too wrapped up in which is “real” or “embarrassing” or “high school,” because it’s obvious the sport is unbalanced and teams have limited control over such things. I also don’t treat it as a fully disqualifying factor for a team’s quality, although with the current system, I acknowledge it is a disqualifying factor in just about all scenarios for the playoffs, which is fine.

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2018, 08:20:16 AM »
Yeah, Louisville, Utah and TCU have all been good to great since moving up (not every season of course). Cincy and SFU both spent some time in the top 10 during their brief stint in a BCS Conference. Schools like Boise and BYU could probably do the same if given a chance.

Hell, even UConn found their way into a BCS Bowl game, and they moved up (from 1AA, no less) not due to their FB prowess, but because their Basketball teams were in the Big East, who needed a replacement for Temple FB.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:23:59 AM by Brutus Buckeye »
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Big Beef Tacosupreme

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
App State won today, 72-7. Wow. 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.