header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: CFB 51 Cookbook, equipment discussion, techniques

(Read 139405 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
good that it's only a couple bucks a pound
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
good that it's only a couple bucks a pound
That's what always makes it hard to smoke beef short ribs...
Tons of lost weight during cooking, AND you're paying for bone in the price... And unlike the $3.29/lb prime brisket, it's often $9/lb or thereabouts for prime at Costco... 

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
That's what always makes it hard to smoke beef short ribs...
Tons of lost weight during cooking, AND you're paying for bone in the price... And unlike the $3.29/lb prime brisket, it's often $9/lb or thereabouts for prime at Costco...
funny... I bought the brisket from lowe's foods as they generally have a good selection of cuts... I bought a rib eye roast from them too, just because... but anyway:  you speak of paying for bones, and I get tickled when i see those massive tomahawk ribeyes.  don't get me wrong, i love a rib eye, and especially a bone in, but.... the steak is likely three pounds from the look of it, and it has at least a 30" bone hanging out of it.  I bet the bone is at least another pound... and @ $24.99 a pound.... it's just too funny to me.  
that 11# prime brisket was $37... that's not terrible but it isn't great either.  I can get the same cut from my connection in UP of Michigan for about $1.50/lbs.. and the last quote I got from him for prime cut standing rib eye roast was $9/lbs, and choice for $4.50/lbs... which is the reason I need to start selling the stuff on the interwebz- that and the plethora of seafood connections i have here local off the outer banks.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
same reason I need to start buying from you
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
It's about the end of the year for this as we get into summer, but this is a recipe that my wife found and we both enjoy... And the kids (10 & 5) like it too. The pepperoncini don't make the dish spicy, but give it a nice little acidic zing.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/246721/mississippi-roast-slow-cooker-pepperoncini-pot-roast/

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Don't forget to keep those bones for beef stock. It's the best beef stock you can ever get.   No better way to carmelize onions or make a real brown sauce.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Agree on the stock.

Also agree on buying food from Drewbie Doo's food store on this site.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Don't forget to keep those bones for beef stock. It's the best beef stock you can ever get.   No better way to carmelize onions or make a real brown sauce.
Oh yeah. If I ever make short ribs, those bones stick around in the freezer for when I'm making pho or other beef soup.
Not going to waste those bones that I paid $8.99/lb for!!!

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Interesting challenge today.  I need to smoke some ribs on the Egg, and drive about 75 minutes, where we will eat them for dinner. There will be other meat/food by others. The kicker is we won't eat dinner until 7pm and I'm heading down around 1pm.  I've decided to do a 2-1-  at about 300, cooler w wrap and then drive, and then 1 on the gas grill at the lake to finish.  I suspect this won't be ideal, but what the hell it's all family.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
the Egg won't fit in the truck?

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
The ribs turned out to be pretty good.  They were a little crusty on the edges, which the men who ate the ribs were all down with.  There's a guy in the neighborhood that loves smoking his ribs like this he calls it 'turbo' smoke, he goes to near 350 degrees for two and half hrs and then does his finish (rarely foils).

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Smoked 14# whole sirloin tip today... Outstanding.  A little chew required than the prime rib, uet still excellent.  

Now here is something i did today on the direction of a friend.  It was fantastic.  I mean really good.  Two ingredient bread in 25 minutes. 

Take a cup of ypur favorite ice cream.  I ised butter pecan because I had it.  3/4 cup of self rising flour.  Mix well.  350* for 20 minutes... Freakin outstanding.  It cooked up in the pizza oven and really really surprised me. Ots nowhere near as sweet as you'd think, but I wager it would be with the right ice cream.  Who'd have thunk it?  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Brisket turned out really freakin good. I'm telling y'all this smoker oven thing is the ticket.  Was a bit shocked how much was lost during the cook, though.. It started out 11# but I bet it only rendered 6 or 7.... Those things shrink quite a bit, huh?
Wow, just realized I missed a bunch of posts over the past month+.
Yeah, a full packer-trimmed brisket shrinks quite a bit.  All that fat renders, while the collagen turns to gelatin and shrinks a bit, too.   That's what makes it so perfect for a long cook.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
The ribs turned out to be pretty good.  They were a little crusty on the edges, which the men who ate the ribs were all down with.  There's a guy in the neighborhood that loves smoking his ribs like this he calls it 'turbo' smoke, he goes to near 350 degrees for two and half hrs and then does his finish (rarely foils).
I'm assuming pork spare ribs?  I still prefer to go 225 and use 3-2-1 (really a lot less than 1 typically, maybe .5 max).  
But for beef ribs and brisket, I'm smoking at 285-300 now.  Goes quicker, and no discernible loss in quality.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.