header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Wisconsin (5-3, 7-4) at Purdue (4-4, 5-6) Post Game

(Read 3995 times)

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Wisconsin (5-3, 7-4) at Purdue (4-4, 5-6) Post Game
« on: November 13, 2018, 12:47:56 PM »
Vegas has Purdue as 5 point favorites at home?  :smiley_confused1:

Surprised to see that. Very surprised.

I haven't watched much Wisconsin this year. Are they not the Wisconsin we all know and remember?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:10:00 PM by ELA »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Wisconsin (6-4, 4-3) @ Purdue (5-5, 4-3) Game Week
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »

I haven't watched much Wisconsin this year. Are they not the Wisconsin we all know and remember?
A mere shadow. Too many injuries and uneven play from players who were supposed to be a lot better than they are.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 12:55:16 PM »
I still can't see Wisconsin losing...

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 01:09:39 PM »

Can you see it now? I sure can. Next week too. Things are not good right now.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 01:16:51 PM »
I can't read.

but other than that, I still see Wisconsin running right at Purdue and Purdue turning the ball over.   

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 01:28:46 PM »
I won't believe Purdue CAN beat Wisconsin until I see them actually do so. 

Heck, I won't believe Purdue can avoid getting blown out by Wisconsin until I see it on the field.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
I won't believe Purdue CAN beat Wisconsin until I see them actually do so.

Heck, I won't believe Purdue can avoid getting blown out by Wisconsin until I see it on the field.
Watch last year's game in Madison and you'll be all set to believe.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 02:27:08 PM »
Nevermind that,  does Chryst consider this to be a winnable game?

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
Watch last year's game in Madison and you'll be all set to believe.
Not as close as the score looks. 

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 06:03:22 PM »
The Badgers did what they are supposed to against Illinois and Nebraska, despite being dinged up for those, too. And they weren't too bad at Penn State. But this may have a lot more to do with which Purdue team shows up at home. The team that smacked Ohio State around, beat Iowa, and B.C., or the team that Minnesota kicked around. Since week 4 anyway, the home version of Purdue has been pretty consistently good.

It's pretty easy for me to see Purdue winning this one.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »
The question I'd need to have answered before predicting this one:
Purdue's Minnesota blowout was probably less probable than its OSU blowout. Why'd the former happen? Bad luck? Matchups? I doubt both explanations but maybe. Was it an innocuous something else? Or is Brohm already checking out?
That doesn't line up with the public timing of a Sunday firing, but if Louisville called Brohm last week with advanced notice ...
Not proof but on topic: His pressed sure wasn't confidence-inspiring that he'll stay.

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 06:17:17 PM »
It depends on which Purdue shows up. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

boilerbanger

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 10:33:10 PM »
I don't know what will happen in this game, is Purdue going to throw the damn ball downfield again, which we forgot how to do against Minnesota.  Are we going to try and run the ball?  Is Blough going to show up with head on right and ready to play?  Can we stop the run?  All of this and the emotions of senior day, I hope we will see a great effort from Purdue as I am sure Brohm was chewing some butt after some stupid penalties in the 1st half last week.  That was an embarrassing performance last week and I would think they would want to fix that this week.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »

***BIG TEN GAME OF THE WEEK***
Wisconsin Badgers (4-3, 6-4) at Purdue Boilermakers (4-3, 5-5)
3:30 - West Lafayette, IN - BTN
What happens when one division get clinched with two weeks to play, and the only two teams with a shot on the other side are facing off against teams unlikely to head to a bowl?  A "Game of the Week" between two teams with a combined 11-9 record.  But, it's the only game this week between two teams with a winning conference record, so it is what it is.  It's also two teams limping disappointed into what, a few weeks ago, looked like a big time game, with major division championship ramifications.  Instead, for Wisconsin, the Alex Hornibrook appreciation season rolls on.  While his lack of improvement from his freshman season was frustrating, Badger fans can't get him back soon enough.  Jack Coan had a solid pedigree, he had offers from schools like Michigan, Nebraska and Maryland, and its early in his career, but what is clear is that he's not ready now.  Wisconsin has always had levels of quarterback play from great to, at worst, not messing things up.  Coan is setting a new floor though, after going 9-20 for 60 yards and a pair of interceptions last weekend, as Bucky got a 71 yard touchdown run from Jonathan Taylor on the third play of the game, and then only 196 total yards the rest of the day.  If Wisconsin can get a lead and play from ahead, Coan showed in relief against Rutgers, he might be ok there, the problem is that in his two starts Wisconsin has fallen behind quickly and he's had to throw a lot.  Some of this is also on Chryst.  Wisconsin had four easy wins earlier in the year, and he didn't get Coan action in any of them.  While Purdue's defense is not at 2017 levels, against the run they are just as stout, allowing just 4.2 ypc, 4th best in the conference.  The way to beat the Purdue defense is through the air, and I'm not sure Wisconsin can do that right now.  The Boilermakers are giving up a league high 278.9 ypg, and while their 7.0 ypa looks a little better, teams are throwing on them a ton, more than they are against any team in the conference (39.9 apg).  The staggering thing about that is that while facing the most passes of any defense, they have the second fewest interceptions (4), and easily the worst attempts per interception (69.8) in the conference.  To compare, the conference's worst pass defense, Illinois, is at least forcing an interception per 26 attempts.  Wisconsin gets their rushing yards on everyone, but the issue is, particularly against Purdue, you have to be able to pass some.  What is impossible to factor in here are the intangibles.  It's the first week that both are eliminated from Indianapolis.  Also, nobody knows what is going on with Purdue.  They got blown off the field by an awful Minnesota team, fresh off their own blowout loss to Illinois, who had just fired their defensive coordinator for giving up 55 points, and Purdue managed 3 non-garbage time points.  Then rumors start flying about coach Jeff Brohm and Louisville.  Are the two connected?  Was that a fluke performance?  Are they not connected, but still showing signs of some other issue Purdue has on the field right now?  Who knows.  Purdue has been all over the map this season, so maybe crushing Ohio State, laying an egg at Michigan State, beating Iowa, getting demolished by Minnesota, and then beating Wisconsin is just who they are.  Rondale Moore is Rondale Moore, but they need D.J. Knox back.  Big Ten defenses, even Minnesota's apparently are too good to beat with just one guy.  When the Boilermakers had their 4 game winning streak, he ran for 51, 87, 150 and 128.  In losing two of their last three he's gone for 51, 34, and 34.  Now Michigan State and Iowa have two of the best run defenses in the nation, so there's no shame in getting shut down on the ground there.  But Minnesota was giving up 6.5 ypc, second worst in the Big Ten, and they held Knox to 34 yards on 3.4 ypc.  Wisconsin is better than Minnesota there, but they aren't up to their normal standards, at just 9th in the Big Ten against the run.  I think Knox gets things back on track, and while Taylor has another strong game, Wisconsin struggles again to win one dimensionally.  Or Purdue could come out totally distracted and lose by 35.
PURDUE 30, WISCONSIN 27

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.