header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Weekend Observations (Lincoln)

(Read 1796 times)

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Weekend Observations (Lincoln)
« on: November 11, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
Weekend Observations: Memorial Stadium, Lincoln (N 54 Ill 35)
(abridged, no game content)
I haven’t been back to Lincoln since 2005, so I thought it might be appropriate to revisit some thoughts on Memorial Stadium (Lincoln). I was in Omaha for a (Friday) wedding, so an easy reason for many of us to caravan down to Lincoln on Saturday.  We had no permit, so parked downtown and met up with others at a bar.  It was the coldest Nebraska home game (23 degrees at 11 am kickoff) since the 1993 game vs OU which was 19 degrees.   It was fairly breezy most of the game, from the south.  Announced crowd of 88,000+, and I have to say I was stunned at how many people showed up for this 4-5 vs 2-7 11 am game, aside from some obvious empties in the student section, and the high reaches of the East balcony was a little thin, as were the areas of visitor seats.   I don’t know if I’d want to ever sit in that East sky balcony.   One of the better flyovers you’ll see (3 Chinook Helicopters, went over low and slow at the end of the anthem).    I’d share a picture but worried about proper copyright use.

My wife and I had seats in the west club level, our friends were a section away, which gave us some access to indoor shelter.  Nebraska club seating and suites are certainly on par or better than similar NFL club offerings I’ve experienced.  Of note, still no beer sales in the club seating, I know the suite levels upstairs permit alcohol.   I did have a delicious Runza (aka just like a meat pie you’d find all over the world).   Concessions are noticeably cheaper than pro stadiums, I was reminded by my west coast friends.    My biggest gripe of course is the volume of piped in music.   Just way too much going on, and frankly the worst part of the experience in Lincoln.   The PA system remains excellent, I remember when it was horrible (until about ’93).  The in game statistics and posted information is very well displayed and very fresh and useful.   They also do a great job on out of town scores, scrolling regularly, and with great logo graphics.  I only looked to my phone for texts from friends about relevant details of interest.  I don’t know why other stadiums struggle to do better with this.   Crowd was quite hearty, and its really the utterances from fans around me that I always enjoy most.  Most of our caravan was in neutral garb, and not surprisingly (homer alert) we received warm welcome from everybody at the game.   Jerks exist everywhere, we all know this, but Nebraskans smother their jerks 100:1

I did leave early (about 6 minutes to go), as we planned to meet up with some other old friends for a reunion of sorts.   Lincoln’s changed quite a bit.  I didn’t recognize half of the campus, given the building boom.   Of course, I was reminded of many of the hideous Soviet era buildings from the 60s/70s that I hated so much.  Then it’s clear the Haymarket has taken over as the place to be.   Very impressive set up all around.    We didn’t hang around at night, but I like to see what the vibe is like ‘downtown’ on O relative to Haymarket.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Weekend Observations (Lincoln)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 11:21:56 PM »
Share the photo!

Temp430

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 07:16:24 AM »
Amazing that Martinez is just a freshman.  Husker fans are going to have a lot to cheer for in coming years. 
A decade of Victory over Penn State.

All in since 1969

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 11:08:50 AM »
the East sky balcony is high enough to cause a nose bleed, but it's better than row 88 on the North Stadium

of course the East sky is only decent with decent weather, otherwise you're in the elements up there

"O" street vibe isn't much different than the Haymarket, probably a younger/student crowd on "O", but similar. 
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 11:30:01 PM »
<br /><br />

Usually I don't like alt unis, though I understand why they are done (and those reasons don't concern me).
These were pretty good, courtesy of Sydney Irlbeck of the Daily Nebraskan.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 11:49:20 PM »
Always wanted to go to a game in Lincoln.  Maybe some day!

And man I loathe how piped-in music has robbed college football atmosphere.  

Except for Europe's "The Final Countdown" of course.  Any stadium that plays that is AOK in my book.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 03:21:23 PM »
the invitation is still open Utee
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 11:07:39 AM »
Always wanted to go to a game in Lincoln.  Maybe some day!

And man I loathe how piped-in music has robbed college football atmosphere.  

Moi aussi.  I took my OSU grad daughter to the UGA game yesterday.  She had been once before, but to see an Olympic soccer game, without the hedges.
It was a noon KO, and we left about 7:30 AM.  The drive from the ATL is about 65 miles but half of that is a four lane highway with a LOT of stop lights.  They are starting to build interchanges but that is 5-7 years off.  It's needed.  We got there is pretty good shape and I spied a lot on campus that said "FREE PARKING".  Indeed it was.  Just a block away it was $20.  We snared a bus to ride to the stadium, our phone said it was a 23 minute walk.  That part of campus is all new to me, I had no clear idea where we were.  And it was cold, as in misting rain and 37°F that morning.
I showed her around campus some, my old dorm, North Campus, we dined at a U dining hall, $9.10 for all you care to eat, both had omelets made to order, a far cry from my student days.  I even had grits, she said she was full.  We walked all the way north to The Arch, which is on the main street with Athens across from it.  Athens is a pretty neat town, large enough to have stuff and small enough to be able to get around.  I forgot how hilly the campus is, and how spread out.  The trees have grown.  There was not much tailgating happening at all, due to weather I surmise.
The stadium sits between North and South campus in a valley oriented east to west.  The West stands had been rebuilt to add a recruiting lounge and new dressing areas, but no new capacity.  The new scoreboard is nice.  But the music was really blaring.  We entered under the scoreboard and I hope folks having to stand there had hearing protection.  You can enter now right off the bridge.
UGA of course was the first public university to receive its charter, but UNC was first to open its doors.  Athens back then was not even a town, and in the middle of nowhere really.  Land was cheap, owned by the state because the Indians graciously abandoned it to move to Oklahoma.
The crowd was late arriving and there were quite a few empty seats.  Our tickets were $136 each on Stub Hub (not including fees) and were on the 25 yard line, lower level, row 58, just under the overhang, but the rain had stopped.  We had 5 minutes of some blue sky at the end of the game.  I did not ask any scalpers for their prices.  I'd guess real attendance was bout 85K.
The band is better than I recalled.  Of course the daughter asked how good the band was and I said "Not up to your standards.".  The Tech band also performed some at the half.
We stayed the entire game, which was 38-7 at the half and clearly over.  Tech simply can't get the athletes to play with UGA and has to rely on that quirky offense and cut blocks.  UGA did not have any injuries as a result fortunately.  Fromm was very accurate and Swift and Holyfield both could run at will.
We got back to the car via bus and were able to exit rather quickly, going the other way around the bypass loop, but the highway was really clogged, often we needed 3-4 red light cycles to clear an intersection, and construction is starting on some.  I guess the areas were way out in the country and the state DOT was saving money, but now the intersections are busy.  Got home around 6:10 and the wife had made her famous soup which went down well.
The daughter was very happy with the OSU trouncing of UM and she watched the LSU-A&M game after I went to bed.  She flies home today.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 11:22:46 AM »
very nice

a day to remember for both of you

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.