header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: #10 Ohio State (6-1, 9-1) at #18 Michigan State (4-3, 6-4) Post Game

(Read 13659 times)

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: #10 Ohio State (6-1, 9-1) at #18 Michigan State (4-3, 6-4) Post Game
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2018, 06:03:44 PM »
Yes Billy Price and Jamarco Jones are off the O-Line and in the NFL.But the big change is on that deep defensive line which has an adverse effect when more often than not Barret got the ball back every 4 downs in most games.Tyquan Lewis,Jalyn Holmes,Sam Hubbard,Trace Sprinkle,Michael Hill off of the defensive line(not to mention Nick Bosa).Defensive backs Denzel Ward,Damon Webb,Erik Wright.Linebackers Jerome Baker,Chris Worley and TE Marcus Baugh.Think of that depth lost - the program didn't recover specially the D-Line that was the deepest that I've ever seen coupled with this years starters.All those guys are on NFL rosters except Erik Smith - think about that.5 lineman,2 starting lbs & 3 starting db's - gone.That defense habitually gave the ball back to the offense with Billy Price and J.Jones still blocking.Haskins would look real good with all that help
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:14:12 PM by MrNubbz »
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

Honestbuckeye

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2018, 07:01:16 PM »
Burrow does throw a LOT of passes away on purpose, under pressure. But he is just “ok” for LSU.

If he was at OSU, he would be doing a lot more read options and QB draws....he is quite the runner.

Interestingly, Haskins still has not broken the single season TD pass record, which is an very impressive 35.  That record is held by none other than J.T. Barrett.  
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
-Mark Twain

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2018, 07:14:55 PM »
OSU fans are a crazy bunch. 

Lot of them hated on JT Barrett- who only broke every QB passing and rushing record in the B1G and won like 11-12 games a season. 

Now lotta of them hate on Dwayne Haskins- a kid with a rocket launcher arm and will be a 1st round pick. 

But Joe Burrow is awesome. Lol. Yeeesh.

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2018, 07:37:40 PM »

Lot of them hated on JT Barrett- who only broke every QB passing and rushing record in the B1G and won like 11-12 games a season.

Now lotta of them hate on Dwayne Haskins- a kid with a rocket launcher arm and will be a 1st round pick.

But Joe Burrow is awesome. Lol. Yeeesh.
Can't speak for other OSU crazies, but I loved JT even if I complained about the lack of down field completions.
I think Haskins is amazing, I'm more frustrated with the coaches calling plays that don't cater to his strengths.
I think Burrows is a step down from Haskins, and yet a marked improvement over what LSU had.

TresselownsUM

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2018, 08:45:13 PM »
I SI think what probably frustrates most osu fans is that when they had a runner like JT the coaches would inexplicably call 35 passes in a game and when they have a gun slinger they ask him to either run RPO, options or complete abandon the run and throw it 73 times. 

Looking at LSU historically they’ve not coached the offensive side of the ball well, and based on what I’ve read there’s no Landry or Beckham at WR

But make no mistake I’d take probably Haskins 1, then JT and burrow 3

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2018, 11:08:16 PM »

Lot of them hated on JT Barrett- who only broke every QB passing and rushing record in the B1G and won like 11-12 games a season. What many wanted to see was Urbs change it up in obvious passing downs.He won an NC using 2 QB's,after the Clemson whitewashing we knew what wasn't working.Needed a down field game and there were guys on the roster who could provide.JT wasn't going over the top.Look no further than Saban pulling Hurts who was 26-2 as a starter at the half of the NC game.How'd that work out?

But Joe Burrow is awesome. Lol. Yeeesh.Spin doctor much,you said he sux he doesn't,and Denard damn sure wasn't a better passer - Yeeesh
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:11:13 PM by MrNubbz »

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2018, 07:35:46 AM »
Yes Billy Price and Jamarco Jones are off the O-Line and in the NFL.But the big change is on that deep defensive line which has an adverse effect when more often than not Barret got the ball back every 4 downs in most games.Tyquan Lewis,Jalyn Holmes,Sam Hubbard,Trace Sprinkle,Michael Hill off of the defensive line(not to mention Nick Bosa).Defensive backs Denzel Ward,Damon Webb,Erik Wright.Linebackers Jerome Baker,Chris Worley and TE Marcus Baugh.Think of that depth lost - the program didn't recover specially the D-Line that was the deepest that I've ever seen coupled with this years starters.All those guys are on NFL rosters except Erik Smith - think about that.5 lineman,2 starting lbs & 3 starting db's - gone.That defense habitually gave the ball back to the offense with Billy Price and J.Jones still blocking.Haskins would look real good with all that help
That's a lot of talent lost, to be sure. Is it that much more than average? Not by draft picks. Maybe just a lot of UDFA types in there? Shoot, the talent exoduses after 2015 and 2016 were quite hefty.
Now perhaps that means the replacement talent isn't that good, but it comes as OSU has literally been recruiting better by the metrics. Maybe it'll turn out this group lacks the talent. But I have a strange feeling we'll be seeing a lot of this year's team on the next level, probably at the same rate as most years. 

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2018, 07:36:52 AM »
I SI think what probably frustrates most osu fans is that when they had a runner like JT the coaches would inexplicably call 35 passes in a game and when they have a gun slinger they ask him to either run RPO, options or complete abandon the run and throw it 73 times.

Looking at LSU historically they’ve not coached the offensive side of the ball well, and based on what I’ve read there’s no Landry or Beckham at WR

But make no mistake I’d take probably Haskins 1, then JT and burrow 3
What would be the issue with running RPO here?

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2018, 08:41:32 AM »
Now perhaps that means the replacement talent isn't that good, but it comes as OSU has literally been recruiting better by the metrics. Maybe it'll turn out this group lacks the talent. But I have a strange feeling we'll be seeing a lot of this year's team on the next level, probably at the same rate as most years.
The O-line has been marginal/pedestrian against the stoudt lines a tad turnstile-ish,recruiting fell off a year.This team will not have the across the board talent on Sunday rosters.The vacuum felt by that exodus in the trenches is obvious.Sadly I don't see the Buckeyes approaching that kind of quality depth anytime soon.Bosa and a sprinkling will get snatched up in the draft but not like previous seasons IMO
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:46:11 AM by MrNubbz »

TresselownsUM

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2018, 09:44:42 AM »
The point of RPO is to keep the defense unbalanced, but when there’s no chance of run, ever, the defense knows this and plays it accordingly. And thats how you wind up throwing 73 times against Purdue. RPO is fine if you have a dual threat, but it’s not Dwayne’s game. He’s a great QB, but he’s pro style. 

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2018, 09:48:28 AM »
RPO's were fine in theory, but Haskins never wanted to hand off, leading to a lot of passes into coverage with poor pass blocking

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2018, 02:28:50 PM »
The point of RPO is to keep the defense unbalanced, but when there’s no chance of run, ever, the defense knows this and plays it accordingly. And thats how you wind up throwing 73 times against Purdue. RPO is fine if you have a dual threat, but it’s not Dwayne’s game. He’s a great QB, but he’s pro style.
This is not how RPOs work, and while a dual threat thing can help them, it’s highly unnecessary. 
They’re not even there to keep the defense off balance, they make the defense wrong/give numbers somewhere. 
All there are is this, a run play where the QB can throw if there’s a certain numbers/talent edge on a quick throw outside. So if you do them right, you never run into a loaded box. So if OSU is doing them right, OSU is unable to run into non-loaded boxes, and that’s a damn issue. 

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »
I don't care if they're running a wishbone,flying wedge,West Coast "O" or out of the wildcat.Using Leach's Air Raid or Urbz run 1st spread.Like Mike Tyson said Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.How can you say you'll never run into a loaded box.Much of that is predicated on defensive alignment and reaction

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.