header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Petrino out at Louisville

(Read 9052 times)

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Petrino out at Louisville
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2018, 10:48:05 AM »
I'd insist that my child give Purdue and Brohm a serious look...   Good school and an inventive mind as a coach.   Certainly would be on my short list as a parent.  

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2018, 10:50:43 AM »
both are pretty tough jobs imo. Purdue might be a tad easier just because the division they are in looks a lot easier to me on paper than the division that Louisville is in.

Louisville is probably easier to recruit to and it has less academic restrictions. But it's also in the same division as Clemson and although Florida State stinks right now, they aren't going to stink forever. 

Not sure Louisville is a better job and if it is, it's not by much. Like everyone has been saying it will come down to whether or not Brohm wants to go home. Sometimes the pull of going home is too strong for people to overcome. Is Brohm the sentimental type? If he is, might just be too hard for him to say no to Louisville.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2018, 11:01:25 AM »
Brohm is making over $4M guaranteed on a 7-year deal. It looks like it's backloaded somewhat, only $3.8M this year 
I really can't figure how these poor souls squeek by
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »
I really can't figure how these poor souls squeek by
I can't figure out how Brohm is making so much.
The guy has only ever been a head coach at WKU before his stop at Purdue, and his first year was a really nice 7 win season, but does that really merit a $4 million a year salary?
If he had won the B1G last year or this year, then fine, give him a fat extension and pay him $4 million a year. But that seems like an awful lot to pay a guy who has only won 7 games last year and then maybe 6 this year.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »
Ya it's nuts but appears to be a good move though.Of course fans will get pissed if a kid sits out a bowl/play off game preparing for Sundays.I prolly won't attend another College game unless it's the Div.III locals.Prices have gone thru stratosphere 
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2018, 11:13:13 AM »
Ya it's nuts but appears to be a good move though.Of course fans will get pissed if a kid sits out a bowl/play off game preparing for Sundays.I prolly won't attend another College game unless it's the Div.III locals.Prices have gone thru stratosphere
with all the different camera angles and replays and slow-mo and DVR's to rewind- you are better off watching the game at home. you get a better view of things at home on your couch and you save a shit ton of money and a headache parking and walking into crowded areas and jam packing into a stadium with 100,000 other people.

WhiskeyM

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2018, 11:34:08 AM »
I can't figure out how Brohm is making so much.
The guy has only ever been a head coach at WKU before his stop at Purdue, and his first year was a really nice 7 win season, but does that really merit a $4 million a year salary?
I think he is worth every penny.  He completey turned Purdue around within the first year.  This article is a really good read on Brohm:
https://sports.yahoo.com/purdues-jeff-brohm-became-hottest-name-college-football-coaching-041333035.html

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
Purdue has probably more than made up for the $4 Mil in tickets alone. They actually have fans in the seats now, instead of having fans dressed up to look like seats.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2018, 12:45:13 PM »
Let's imagine he's like to coach at an Ohio State/USC/Bama kind of program someday.

Is he better off staying at Purdue or going for more money at LV?

He might crash and burn at LV while at Purdue he seems able to generate bowl level teams anyway.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »
Let's imagine he's like to coach at an Ohio State/USC/Bama kind of program someday.

Is he better off staying at Purdue or going for more money at LV?

He might crash and burn at LV while at Purdue he seems able to generate bowl level teams anyway.
That's a good point, if Louisville or Purdue is an end game, then he stays/leaves based on that.  If neither is, then IMO it makes the most sense for him to just stay.  He's a hell of a lot closer to a helmet offer now than if he leaves.  And it's not like rebuilding Louisville would be more impressive to those type of offers than doing it at Purdue.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2018, 01:52:08 PM »
I think he is worth every penny.  He completey turned Purdue around within the first year.  This article is a really good read on Brohm
Agreed.
His on the field results have been great. His recruiting wasn't looking as strong going into 2018, but the 2019 class is currently 25th in the country. He's taking Hazell players and getting the best out of them, and then adding a guy like Rondale Moore has shown us that his ceiling with more talented players could be to challenge regularly for the B1G West.
There's a part of me that wonders how any coach is worth that kind of money, but if that's the price for quality, then Purdue might as well play ball.

boilerbanger

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2018, 10:46:59 PM »
Purdue has probably more than made up for the $4 Mil in tickets alone. They actually have fans in the seats now, instead of having fans dressed up to look like seats.

Pretty good guess there badge
$4.0 million
The estimated increased annual ticket sales revenue from 2018 to 2016. This is based on an estimated $25 average ticket price estimate in 2018 versus a $18 average ticket price estimate in 2018.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2018, 09:44:23 AM »
I think his decision will let us know his future ambitions.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2018, 10:11:18 AM »
I think his decision will let us know his future ambitions.
Maybe, maybe not. If he decides to stay with Purdue, it could mean a few things. The first one could be that he loves Purdue and plans to be the King Barry of West Lafayette. The others could be he is holding out for an Alabama to open up or he wants to coach in the NFL (I'm highly doubtful on this one).
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.