header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Texas vs Tulsa

(Read 6706 times)

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Texas vs Tulsa
« on: September 09, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Texas vs Tulsa
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 11:53:17 AM »
It's never as bad as we think it is.  It's never as good as we think it is.

But I feel good about Del Conte.  And he will make it right.  In time.

I'm an inch away from wanting Fatterson running the Horns out of the tunnel, towel boy and all.  Herman will improve on 4-5 win Strong, and Texas will become a 7-8 win squad, although hard to conceive right now.  But Herman has no gladhanding skills, is hardly likeable, and this shortcoming won't offset his coaching being 3-wins better than Strong's.  Nor should it anyway - Texas is not looking for 8-win seasons.

Texas seemed to fall asleep once they fired out of the gate and put a few points on the board.  I'm not sure what this is all about, they looked ready for halftime barely into the 2nd Qtr.  The defense uncharacteristically seemed gassed on several occasions as well.  And this was Tulsa.  OU will run these tired boys ragged.

There's plenty of cockmanship but no fight.  I don't want cockmanship.  I want fight.  Cockmanship is "me" based and comes and goes whenever one feels he made a good play.  Fight is team based and lasts the entirety of the game.

Sam is ball happy.  He wants the ball.  And I can't fully blame him, he does pull off a nice scamper on occasion.  But he cost us a TD with his delayed keep/give handoffs.  We had two ball carriers on one play.  Herman had to settle him down at halftime, but not that it did much good.  Texas RBs seem like a nice stable of horses, but play calling is predictable, which only works when you have a dominant OL.  Oh, and we don't.

Nevertheless, we could very well beat USC.  USC is another helmet contender.  A Texas win wouldn't mean a lot, but it would buy some morale, which is much needed in the stands and on the field.  Oh, and I said we "could" beat USC, not we would.

Malik Jefferson would have been nice to have around this year.  He kept our defense salty and awake.  Without him, this bunch seems lost at times, if not gassed.  They show nice pursuit and good speed, but there's still no jet sweep answer and our secondary is still prone to providing barren pastures up the middle.

For all his fire and vinegar, Herman can't seem to keep this team lit up for all 60 minutes.  Maybe he's a douche?  Idk, I'm not in the locker room.

Iowa State lost, but I'm still a Matt Campbell fan.  Just sayin.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 12:16:48 PM »
Shabe should be starting

Sam needs to sit the next one out
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 12:44:24 PM »
Sobering thought - Tulsa dropped 2 TD passes in the end zone and missed 3 FG’s.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 12:54:22 PM »
after last night I dont see this team winning more then 4 games this year with Sam starting
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 02:48:01 PM »
after last night I dont see this team winning more then 4 games this year with Sam starting
oh i get it.  You’re baiting me.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 04:24:16 PM »
oh i get it.  You’re baiting me.
nope just how I feel

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 05:43:09 PM »
I'm so put out, words can't even suffice.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 07:56:42 PM »
nope just how I feel
You were around when Shane was the starter, yes?

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 10:50:15 PM »
You were around when Shane was the starter, yes?
Shane reads a def faster and scrambles better
Sam has to fire all 4 boilers to get underway

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 11:35:31 PM »
Colt McCoy threw 18 picks as a sophomre.  His last two seasons he was a Heisman contender. If I’m not mistaken he was the last Texas QB to be the exclusive starter for more than a year.  Consequently we have not gotten to see any possible progression any subsequent QB could’ve made as a starter because we’ve had 3 HCs, 7 OCs and 6 QBs in the last eight years.

Could 2018 Buchele be smarter and better than 2017 Buchele or 2016 Buchele. We may never know.

Last year when the line was a shambles and a mobile QB was a necessity, I could see the upside of Ehlinger in spite of the fact that He was 2-4 as a starter while Buchele was 5-2.  And despite the fact that Ehlinger had almost singlehandedly lost 3 of his 4 losses with turnovers on Texas’ final possessions (which happened yet again at Maryland).

But look at Texas’ play calling at Maryland.  Ehlinger stayed in the pocket and scarcely ran.  If that’s what you want and you have the line to protect him, why wouldn’t you want Buchele back there?  He has a cooler head and a better touch?

You know why?

Because Herman had so much confidence in himself and contempt for the past that he wouldn’t even watch Texas film from 2016.  He has no idea what Buchele looks like in an offense suited to his talents.  And he doesn’t care.

Toneil Carter was demoted to oblivion for fumbling twice but Ehlinger can throw away every game.

Porter can replace Ingraham when a game is on the line because experience is so important but Ehlinger will stay in over Buchele because he needs the experience.

When it comes to Ehlinger versus Buchele, I really don’t even care.

All I know is that Tom Herman needs to start winning big and winning fast because his inconsistent, illogical and disengenuous arrogance isn’t winning him any grace.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
This is a very mentally immature team. They're physically in top condition (when not injured). They're trained and drilled so that they know exactly what to do.

Now, they've got to find that balance between sloth and panic. They had it at the beginning of the Tulsa game, ripped out all business, found 14 easy points, then got sloppy. Tulsa wasn't good enough to capitalize, and Texas coasted into the locker room up 21.

The 2nd half had Texas trying to correct the mistakes they made. They pressed. They lost the flow. Really, Tulsa's points came when backup players spaced out. Texas got an unprecedented DB haul last year, but they're still all freshmen. Tulsa isolated a couple, and got easy pickings.

Remember how Michael Dickson used to shank punts at critical times? It appears that's just something we have to put up with when Aussie Rules kickers are learning to hit a collegiate football properly.

When the lead was threatened,Texas jammed it into gear again and did what they had to to score. When they got the ball back, they dutifully ground out the clock running the ball - something unthinkable last season.

You can work out all summer and get strong. You can practice and learn your technique. The only way to get tough between the ears is to get tested and come out on top.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
Shane reads a def faster and scrambles better
Sam has to fire all 4 boilers to get underway

Fading memory.  Shane takes sacks where Sam is easily the best bet if any ad lib is involved.  That's mostly why he's in there.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 07:03:01 PM »
I don't blame Horns fans for being frustrated in a general way, but regardless they got the W and while Tulsa is not a world beater, still yet Texas is now 1-0 this year vs Oklahoma teams.  No one should ever take a Texas team lightly.  We rival fans, those who've been around long enough, won't ever make that mistake.  UT have lots of talent, and it's always just a question of whether it all jells in time for the RRS. 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.