header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Penn State 2018

(Read 2124 times)

Big Beef Tacosupreme

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Penn State 2018
« on: August 01, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
Yeah, there's probably an existing page, but I went back 15 pages and gave up.

Anyhow, here's a bit of a defensive preview:

Overall, I expect this team to take a small step back from last season. 

Defensive Line:  Last year I think the defensive line was actually a point of weakness.  The stats might not show it, but take another look at the Ohio State and Michigan State games.  Penn State was unable to get any pressure on the QB, even when blitzing.  However, word on the street is that the large group of young defensive ends is significantly improved.  Unfortunately, the defensive tackles are likely to continue their average play, and there isn't a lot of depth behind them.  B

Linebackers:  Undoubtedly the weakest point on the Penn State team.  There is a lot of athleticism, but they seem to lack the instincts to play at the level that Penn State fans are used to.  They do have super recruit Micah Parsons joining them this year, but it's dangerous to put too much hope into a true freshman.  Also, Poz still > than Hawk.  D

Secondary:  So Penn State lost their entire starting secondary to the NFL, including their leader on defense, Marcus Allen.  However, this unit will still be the most talented group on the field.  John Reid was the best cornerback in 2017 until he was injured, and he will return at 100% this year.  The rest of the secondary played significant minutes last year and is super talented.  This unit is absolutely one of the best in the big ten.  A

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Penn State 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:06:46 PM »
Yeah, they should merge all those dumb "best ##" threads in order to clean up the archives. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Big Beef Tacosupreme

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 07:48:13 PM »
On Offense:

QB:  Everyone knows what Penn State has in Trace McSorely.  A

Wide Receiver:  Although Penn State lost 3 players to the NFL, this unit should remain a strength.  Juwan Johnson improved significantly throughout the season last year, and by all accounts his improvement has continued during the off season.  Thompkins and Polk return, and both are former starters.  However, I'm most excited to see the new guys.  Redshirt freshman KJ Hamler, super recruit Justin Shorter, and the star of the spring game (Mac Hippenhammer) should see plenty of action.  This is a deep group, and will be on of the Big Ten's best.  It helps to have McSorely throwing the ball, too.  B+

Tight End:  To put it mildly, this a huge concern.  Blocking should be better than it was with Gesicki.  Pass catching should be..worse.  The lack of a pass catching tight end means there is a real possibility Penn State will rely on a true freshman or a 4/5 WR set.  On the other hand, sometimes a decent blocking tight end would be nice.  D

Offensive Line:  Franklin has been praising the improvement of this unit all off season.  This is a group that steadily improved over the season, ultimately dominating a top 10 Washington defense in the Fiesta bowl.  Penn State started a bunch of young guys over the last couple of years, and will still only have a single senior in the rotation.  The development of this group is perhaps the most important factor in Penn State's season.  If this is a strong unit, it will give the young wide receivers and running backs time and space to work through some growing pains.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  B

Running Back:  It would be fun to see what Barkley could do behind a solid offensive line, but instead Penn State will rely on a stable of talented backs, including some very highly touted recruits.  Miles Sanders looked great in limited action last season, but needs to work on securing the football.  Further, I can't imagine anyone will represent the pass catching threat that Barkley did.  Still, there is a lot of talent, and if the Oline comes together, there may not be the dropoff some are predicting.  B

Geolion91

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:45:28 AM »
Nice preview.  From what I know, I agree with your assessment.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 03:09:19 PM »
Sounds like Bucholz is quitting football. I believe he was a starting DE for half of last season. Is this a mix of injuries and the younger kids passing him or just the injuries?

Temp430

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:00:27 AM »
Penn State commentators have not been heard from since the Buckeyes handed the Nitts their first conference loss.   Iowa fans will be relieved to learn that they must think Penn State's season is over.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:11:09 AM by Temp430 »
A decade of Victory over Penn State.

All in since 1969

Big Beef Tacosupreme

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 04:21:26 PM »
Penn State commentators have not been heard from since the Buckeyes handed the Nitts their first conference loss.  Iowa fans will be relieved to learn that they must think Penn State's season is over.
I was curious as to what I predicted last year vs. what happened.

Then I read this.  Sorry man, October / November is my busy season and I just can't post as often as I would like.  It's so bad that many times I have to watch the game on my phone in an airport somewhere, or even read the play by play in text.  

Benthere2

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 03:06:34 PM »
Hey BB
Whats the scuttlebutt about the former DR. and will it affect the team this season?  bits and pieces I have read could blow up big if true? 

Big Beef Tacosupreme

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »
Hi!  I will reply to you on the 2019 PSU thread.  Let this old one get buried again.  haha

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.