header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: College football players and politics ....

(Read 10357 times)

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
Re: College football players and politics ....
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 07:55:04 PM »
Simper Fi Fred

Hoooo Ra
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »
Semper Fi 320

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 08:11:20 PM »
And as always, many thanks for your service!

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 09:15:36 PM »

Eh
Like I said...
The world is full of stupid people with stupid notions who get butt hurt over stupid things.

Meanwhile the truly machiavellian ones just love the distractions.

I'd rather live, let live, mind my own business and talk football.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
In my opinion.....

The real world is not simple enough for blanket statements.  

There are many situations where people would be wise and well-served to mind their own business, to live and let live.

There are also notable times in history when bad, bad things happened and the wrong men amassed way too much power and influence due to too many people minding their own business, living and letting live.  I believe there are times when assertions and interference is warranted.  I make no claims that this national anthem business is such a time....only that such times, circumstances, and topics exist.  

I'm reminded of the Edmund Burke quote, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."  There's some wisdom there, and that statement has both haunted and guided me over the years.  

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »
Wise words Mike.  I tend to agree with Hooky's sentiment in general, but you make a good point that there are times when we need to resist egregious abuses and power grabs, and act on that Popeye quote of

"that's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more"

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
In my opinion.....

The real world is not simple enough for blanket statements.  

There are many situations where people would be wise and well-served to mind their own business, to live and let live.
Words of wisdom as always, Amos. I can only add that your points would be 13% more compelling if you hadn’t used blanket statements to make them.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 05:48:07 PM »
Wise words Mike.  I tend to agree with Hooky's sentiment in general, but you make a good point that there are times when we need to resist egregious abuses and power grabs, and act on that Popeye quote of

"that's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more"
The hard part is knowing when you’re really standing up against the Nazis to protect the Jews and when you’re just picking nits like the guy who irked you.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »
it's not that hard

most are just picking nits in my opinion
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 11:08:25 PM »
The hard part is knowing when you’re really standing up against the Nazis to protect the Jews and when you’re just picking nits like the guy who irked you.
Agreed.  And the Nazis/Jews are a good example of the pitfalls, because it wasn't a swift power grab.  Things in Germany never radically shifted one day while a madman took over the country.  No, it was an extremely gradual thing in which citizens failed to notice the little things happening day by day--or maybe not even that fast, maybe month by month, or less--and slowly handed over their country and culture to a lunatic and his band of thugs.  
I tend to err on the side of caution, by which I mean I'm generally not one to keep my head down and hush up.  I'm always trying to figure out what issues might be truly harmless and which ones could be problematic and we're just not seeing it yet.  Talking about it is my way of engaging and muddling through it to arrive at an opinion, and that sometimes makes me tiresome to the live and let live/head down crowd.  
I bet a guy like you would never eat at Bikinis with a guy like me.  
It reminds me of when I was a teenager in karate lessons and one of the teachers would do this exercise from time to time, I forget exactly what his point was.  He would get in stance and kind of do the boxing dance/hop with mildly exaggerated motions with his shoulders, fists, everything....and your job was to defend yourself.  He didn't do anything past your skill level, and when he would strike, you tended to handle it pretty well.  And then he would reach out a hand much slower, no faster than you'd normally reach for something, and it never failed for the people who hadn't seen it before.....unimpeded, he'd push us violently and knock us on our ass.  Something about how when your brain is in the mode of looking only for the quick, overt, vicious strikes, we were fine.  When something much slower happened, it confused us, like "surely something else is going on here, this can't be an attack," and I made zero effort to evade his arm.  On the ground I wondered how that sumbitch had just waylaid me in about the dumbest way possible.  I didn't feel any less dumb when I saw it keep happening to other people, only less alone.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 11:18:47 PM »

I bet a guy like you would never eat at Bikinis with a guy like me.  
he seems to almost enjoy eating at BoneDaddy's with me
so, never seems to be a strong term
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 09:12:57 AM »
I've never been to a Bikinis, Twin Peaks, Tilted Kilt, or any of those other breastaurants.  Only Hooters and Bonedaddy's, as far as I can tell.

On the most recent trip I made to Hooters, one of the waitresses caught my eye, not because she was beautiful, which she was, but because she looked familiar.  I probably stared at her way too much, although she didn't seem to notice because I assume men stare at her all day long, but then finally it clicked.  She looked almost exactly like a girl I used to date, back in college.

That old girlfriend of mine is now obviously a grown woman, a couple years younger than I am, and we are Facebook friends.  She's still beautiful, and so is her daughter, who was the Hooters waitress I was staring at.

I have not been back to Hooters since.  I don't have anything against it, but it definitely sort of weirded me out.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »
brother drug me to a place near Arlington called Redneck Heaven

wasn't heavenly and I usually enjoy breastaurants

won't be going back

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
Every girl I've ever ogled or made out with is somebody's daughter.  The older I get, the weirder that gets to think about. 

I think I'm settling down about the right time.  I haven't stopped noticing beautiful women, but I have lost a lot of the lack of concern it often took to get them.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.