header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT: Memorial Day

(Read 4082 times)

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
OT: Memorial Day
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:27:26 AM »
the 'sales!!!' piss me off... not that i'd accost or confront someone in business to explain my views, but..... Memorial Day is a day of observance and recognition.  it isn't some excuse for some slime ball to sell things supposedly cheap and make a buck.   

last year it hit me harder than ever before... stupid story:

I was burning the burgers and hotdogs on the grill for the kids and their lunch, throwing back some nice cold domestics, and with family and friends.  It was a fine day.  I had a cigar in my hand and a quiet moment to myself looking across the yard at everyone- children playing in the pool splashing each other, ladies laughing and talking about whatever they talk about, and the guys pestering them while they had their own discussions and while tossing horseshoes.  

i didn't even link 'memorial day' to it... a random though shot through my head thinking "I wonder what Todd or Jeff would be doing right now?", and a ping of remorse- chased away because I know what they were doing right that second... they were and are looking happily down on us and prideful that we're living on- raising families they never had the opportunity to raise, enjoying company of friends and that family while we make use of the things our work has provided us... they gave up a lot so others can do this.  I don't mean that in some figurative way- I mean that just as i type it- there are people alive because those guys sacrificed, literally... they died hero's, not in the general sense, but because they rushed in knowing it would save others- and they were right.  That isn't to diminish the sacrifice of those who were doing their job as they were trained and for a good greater than themselves without question. Those men are hero's too, and many of them passed while doing what they had little understanding of except it was asked of them by their country- that is selflessness.  it takes a certain kind, and to those men i hope you're smiling down too. 

anyway, y'all have fun this year, enjoy your family and friends... remember at some point, hopefully a pause in the scuffle, that the day is a day to tip your hat at men like those two and so many more. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: OT: Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:28:53 AM »
Amen brother.  And same to you.

Tomorrow we're having my folks and siblings over, and their families, as well as my i s c & a aggie wife's Aggie family over.  Her dad is a Vietnam war vet, he was in the Aggie Corps of Cadets and then served a couple of tours in the Army.  He lost a lot of friends over there, but rarely talks about it.  Usually, on Memorial Day, he's willing to share a few stories, and I cherish those moments when he's willing to open up.

Anyway, on the lighter side, I'll be making a BBQ brisket, 3 racks of pork spare ribs, 1 rack of beef short ribs off the plate, and probably some sausage.  I'll be up at about 5 AM to light the fire, brisket goes on at 6, ribs at noon, it'll all be done about 5 or 6.  And then, we shall feast.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
I'll be having lunch on Monday with my son, who made it back safely after two tours. He was a great sniper. Probably still is. We don't talk about that stuff though. His knees are shot and his hearing is compromised, but he's of sound mind and mostly sound body.

I'll just shake his hand and tell him "thank you" and we'll move on to order lunch.

Other than having two Saturdays, it's just another weekend. But Monday is special and not at all connected with those two Saturdays. That's just a bonus.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 09:48:45 AM »

Memorial Friday, unofficially the first day of Summer. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »
EVERY Friday is memorial, in the summer. Only one Monday is that though.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:57:29 AM »
I'll be having lunch on Monday with my son, who made it back safely after two tours. He was a great sniper. Probably still is. We don't talk about that stuff though. His knees are shot and his hearing is compromised, but he's of sound mind and mostly sound body.
That's the big thing.  Enjoy your lunch with him

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »
Just got the message from the executive VP instituting "summer hours" starting today.  That means, "take off every Friday afternoon from Memorial Day to Labor Day if you can."

Sometimes I have meetings on Friday afternoons, but not today anyway. :)

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 12:13:43 PM »
While at times I think sports leagues are a bit over the top and borderline tacky with some of their military tributes,  the ceremonies before the Indy 500 are extremely well done and often very moving.     The playing of Taps and the fly-over is pretty special, particularly since you can see incoming aircraft so well from where I usually sit (Turn 1 or 2).   About the only sporting event where most fans get to their seats about an hour before the beginning of the event.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »
You out there for Carb Day today?  I'm watching Indy Lights right now, killing time until I get to "leave work" for the day. :)

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 12:47:56 PM »
I'm too old for carb day.  :).   I've been traveling all week, so I need a day in the office to catch up.    Actually, I'd go to Carb Day again sometime, if it wasn't 90 degrees.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 05:01:03 PM »
90 degrees?  

Wimp.

I won't allow myself to miss a single day at COTA for the US Grand Prix, it's just too fun.  From Pit Walk on Thursday through the race and post-race entertainment on Sunday, we're out there the entire time.  We even camp the entire weekend out there now, so we don't have to drive back and forth.  (Really, so we don't have to curtail our enjoyment of adult beverages! ;).

CatsbyAZ

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 05:40:08 PM »
Just got the message from the executive VP instituting "summer hours" starting today.  That means, "take off every Friday afternoon from Memorial Day to Labor Day if you can."

Sometimes I have meetings on Friday afternoons, but not today anyway. :)
Our office message this week restated attire expectations, especially for the "young professionals." Management doesn't want a repeat of board shirts and brotanks in the cubicles.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 06:17:20 PM »
In honor of those who gave the last full measure of devotion and all that have served past & present - Thank You
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 06:51:28 PM »
In honor of those who gave the last full measure of devotion and all that have served past & present - Thank You
amen
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.