header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018 Iowa Offseason Thread

(Read 3757 times)

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
2018 Iowa Offseason Thread
« on: April 21, 2018, 01:10:30 AM »
Not much to report here which is why no one started a thread.
We have the North End Zone construction project I reported in a separate thread, but to keep it visible I will post a link here, too: https://webcam.iowa.uiowa.edu/kinnick/
The 2018 schedule has East Division foes Indiana, Maryland, and Penn State.
Nonconference foes NIU, ISU, and UNI. Iowa State is looking formidable; their starting QB Kyle Kempt was given a 6th year of eligibility. But they did graduate their top receiver.

Defense: As for the Hawkeyes, despite the loss of Josh Jackson to the NFL, there is plenty of experience coming back in the defensive backfield, and area where Iowa has excelled lately. The linebacking corps will be new and uncertain. The DL looks solid. Overall Iowa should be a top 4 defense in the Big Ten.

Offense: RB looks good despite the loss of all starters, as Iowa is well-stocked at this position. Nathan Stanley returns at QB. He needs to work at using his feet, but that would appear next to hopeless. Some have good feet, and I don't think he can run a tire drill. TE looks strong with Noah Fant returning and about 3-others to support him. OL - maybe Iowa should import tight ends into the interior line. Graduated two starters from the OL, and they were the best OL players from a relatively weak 2017 OL.  James Daniels going to the NFL at C will probably be a 1st Rounder.  As for WR, word is circulating that they finally have some speed.

Overall, despite having the 117th best offense in D-1 football in 2017, Iowa can probably move into the Top 95 in 2018 D-1 offense even with Ohio State dropping off Iowa's 2018 schedule.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:12:23 AM by Hawkinole »

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2018 Iowa Offseason Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 10:12:23 AM »
Bonus points for the snark at the end.

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:47:47 AM »
I knew it could be read as snarkiness which I do not like. I do, however, like irony.

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:41:45 AM »
A Tiger Hawk is now on the water tower. UIHC objected to this over the years as they wanted all Iowans to feel welcome coming to the hospital. Many Iowa football fans wanted it. It has taken about 38-years since development of the logo for it to be painted.

I used to meet mom & dad under that water tower after the game when I held a single ticket elsewhere in the stadium, when I was 10. It was a little scary for me, as I couldn't figure out how three people could meet in a sea of 50,000 to 60,000 people under a water tower. But not many other 10-year olds were meeting up there with their parents, and it always worked.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 05:24:32 PM »
Add Alaric Jackson and Cedrick Lattimore to Tristan Wirfs and Brady Reiff as Hawkeyes suspended for their opener.

NIU is no slouch.  Should be the best team in the MAC this year.  That game, particularly in the opener, could be dangerous.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 05:35:16 PM »
But not many other 10-year olds were meeting up there with their parents, and it always worked.
At that time and place your folks probably weren't out of the norm.Today they'd be tarred & feathered for even contemplating that.Years ago my folks would head up to their cottage on the lake.My one brother was home from college for the summer.And I was in baseball leagues.I hardly saw my brother as he was working chasing skirt.So I guess it was the same - different times
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

iahawk15

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 08:32:10 PM »
Add Alaric Jackson and Cedrick Lattimore to Tristan Wirfs and Brady Reiff as Hawkeyes suspended for their opener.

NIU is no slouch.  Should be the best team in the MAC this year.  That game, particularly in the opener, could be dangerous.
Both starting tackles missing vs the returning sack leader in CFB. What could go wrong?

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 01:29:15 AM »
Hawkeyes will be fine. They will develop roster depth. Northern Illinois will be more of a challenge, but they are not a Big Ten conquistador.

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 11:26:17 PM »
At that time and place your folks probably weren't out of the norm.Today they'd be tarred & feathered for even contemplating that.Years ago my folks would head up to their cottage on the lake.My one brother was home from college for the summer.And I was in baseball leagues.I hardly saw my brother as he was working chasing skirt.So I guess it was the same - different times
And, you were just playing baseball? :67:

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.