header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Kinnick Stadium North Endzone - Construction - Live View

(Read 4837 times)

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
Kinnick Stadium North Endzone - Construction - Live View
« on: February 15, 2018, 05:20:02 PM »
For those of you brick and mortar people, and engineers, I thought you might appreciate the live stream video. You can actually see the equipment operating when viewed during weekday daylight hours. Makes me glad I have an indoor job. You have to respect construction workers who do their job in all sorts of weather.
https://webcam.iowa.uiowa.edu/kinnick/

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Kinnick Stadium North Endzone - Construction - Live View
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 08:20:48 PM »
will this construction cause total capacity to rise?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »
No. This adds club seating, improves restroom facilities, and vending. Capacity drops about 1,000 to 1,500. 

I believe that when capacity went up 10-years ago, it actually went down. They don't report actual attendance. If they are within about 1000 of capacity it was always the same #. The Des Moines Register uncovered their actual attendance #s before and after the last capacity increase, and actual attendance was consistently lower than it had been before the increase in capacity from 70,397 to 70,585.

Usually there are single seats scattered throughout a football stadium that are unsold, and/or unfilled. seats, even for "sell-outs" at every stadium.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
thanks, just wondering

the Huskers decreased capacity a couple years ago by making some seats a bit wider

for wider butts
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 01:52:42 AM »
Iowa widened seats 10-years ago, too. I had season tickets 2-years as a student in the 1970s, and then again 7-years during the narrowed seat years. The wider seats are a relief.
My 1st season ticket year with narrow seats I lived then in Sioux City. My littlest brother was in dental school. My parents then lived in Iowa City. Somehow I must have erroneously checked a box for a single if I couldn't get 2-season tickets in the late-1980s. I had one ticket on the end of the row, sitting next to a former Iowa QB and I think maybe a former offensive lineman. These guys were big. Occaisonally they'd see I had one butt cheek on the bench and one off. They very kindly forced everyone north of us to move north 6", so my entire ass could sit on cold aluminum.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 09:02:33 AM »
I'm always happy to be in the stadium and don't mind if I'm squeezed or over a couple seat numbers or up or down a row.

I suppose as I get older having both cheeks on the bench would be more comfortable.

It obviously bothers some folks to the point they will give up their tickets 

overflowing full houses with crammed benches and standing room only crowds are the best games!

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 02:20:46 AM »
Bump. They are making progress.

JerseyTerrapin

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 03:22:04 PM »
Very cool, thanks.

This won't block the view from the hospital, will it?  I thought that was going to be a great new tradition, if you'll pardon the oxymoron.

We've been a watching a webcam of the new football center for over a year at Maryland, but it only does stills (every few minutes).  I like this almost-live action better.

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 12:44:00 AM »
Very cool, thanks.

This won't block the view from the hospital, will it?  I thought that was going to be a great new tradition, if you'll pardon the oxymoron.

We've been a watching a webcam of the new football center for over a year at Maryland, but it only does stills (every few minutes).  I like this almost-live action better.

It does not block the view from the Children's Hospital. The red brick building in the distant background is Veterans Hospital. The clock tower in the foreground is atop a stairwell to a U of I Hospital parking ramp. Children's Hospital is east of the East Stands (to the right) and is out-of-view in this video; it towers over Kinnick Stadium, half of which stadium is excavated below ground level. When we toured the University for our daughter's visit, b4 the children's hospital was completed we were told that Kirk Ferentz donated a lot (by recollection $1M) toward the new hospital, and the coach contributed to the design that would allow children to view football on game day.
Post a link here to the webcam at Maryland.

GopherRock

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 07:05:15 AM »
Even after the seat widening at Lincoln, it takes an act of Congress to move in the row. 

JerseyTerrapin

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »
It does not block the view from the Children's Hospital. The red brick building in the distant background is Veterans Hospital. The clock tower in the foreground is atop a stairwell to a U of I Hospital parking ramp. Children's Hospital is east of the East Stands (to the right) and is out-of-view in this video; it towers over Kinnick Stadium, half of which stadium is excavated below ground level. When we toured the University for our daughter's visit, b4 the children's hospital was completed we were told that Kirk Ferentz donated a lot (by recollection $1M) toward the new hospital, and the coach contributed to the design that would allow children to view football on game day.
Post a link here to the webcam at Maryland.
Glad to hear about the hospital!  That stadium is going to look like yet another imposing B1G place to play.
Here's the webcam for Maryland's practice facility.  I see that just this morning they have started placing the steel for the weight room (or something)...
https://colefieldhouse.umd.edu/live-look.html

And here's how it's all supposed to end:

https://colefieldhouse.umd.edu/overview.html
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:26:07 PM by JerseyTerrapin »

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.