header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT - TV shows and Movies

(Read 24826 times)

nuwildcat

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
OT - TV shows and Movies
« on: August 17, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
I finally saw Moana on Netflix

- enjoyable movie with great music and some genuinely hilarious moments

Next up on the agenda to watch (also on Netflix): Sausage party
... some people hated it but I have the feeling its raunchy, immature humor will be my cup of tea
:great:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:45:15 AM by nuwildcat »
NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
Top-14 finish in the conference each year
Stellar 4-10 bowl record

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: OT - TV shows and Movies
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:59:12 PM »
I dunno... What did you think of "The Interview"? Personally, I thought it was moronic and turned it off about halfway through. I haven't enjoyed much of anything Seth Rogen has done since "Knocked Up".

Speaking of a Seth, though, I am kinda interested to see the new Seth McFarlane show "The Orville". Some of his past stuff has been a little hit-or-miss, straddling the line between subversive and moronic, but hitting on subversive often enough to be worthwhile.

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 09:37:13 PM »
I finally managed to see a non-kids movie in the theater recently. (Dunkirk).   Such a mixed bag, IMO. In some ways it was a terrific film, but it is very difficult to accept and set aside that the POV is so narrowly tailored as it renders the story somewhat meaningless.   I respect the cinematography, though in an IMAX can be a bit whoosy,  the minimal dialogue, the utility of the cast, save maybe one trivial character.  It is just so incomplete, the uninitiated likely walks out of there still wondering what the hell Dunkirk was all about.

Geolion91

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:53:45 AM »
I finally saw Moana on Netflix

- enjoyable movie with great music and some genuinely hilarious moments

... some people hated it but I have the feeling its raunchy, immature humor will be my cup of tea

I thought Moana was okay, the music was mediocre.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 08:02:32 AM »
Raunchy doesn't bother me, but if you go there, and it doesn't land, it's just uncomfortable.

Sausage Party doesn't land.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
I thought Moana was okay, the music was mediocre.
Yeah, didn't love it.  The main song (which I think won the Oscar?) was great, but not much beyond that.  But I think maybe coming off Hamilton, expectations were going to be too high.  Hell, I don't know how LMM will ever be able to follow it.

grillrat

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:00:36 AM »

Without the chicken, Moana would have been kinda "meh" for me.

Gonna start binge watching The Defenders tonight.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
Without the chicken, Moana would have been kinda "meh" for me.

Gonna start binge watching The Defenders tonight.
I actually just started on those shows in general, about 2/3 of the way done with Daredevil Season 1.  The downside is knowing everyone liked that show best of the 4, so this level probably won't maintain.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »
Raunchy doesn't bother me, but if you go there, and it doesn't land, it's just uncomfortable.

Sausage Party doesn't land.

I think the same. The same is true of politically incorrect humor. The "sphincter pucker factor" of the audience means that the degree of difficulty is MUCH higher. If it lands, it's comedy. If it doesn't land, it's bigotry. That's a dangerous line to walk.

But yeah, I have found that much of what Seth Rogen has done over the last few years just didn't land.

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
I think the same. The same is true of politically incorrect humor. The "sphincter pucker factor" of the audience means that the degree of difficulty is MUCH higher. If it lands, it's comedy. If it doesn't land, it's bigotry. That's a dangerous line to walk.

But yeah, I have found that much of what Seth Rogen has done over the last few years just didn't land.

I loved (and I mean loved) Observe and Report.  Jody Hill directed it, and am waiting for season 2 of Vice Principals, which should be out soon.  Not necessarily for everyone, though.

SuperMario

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »
Moana was very mediocre. The fact many of us even watched it reflects the many life changes over the years.

I have not watched a truly good movie in quite some time. The last good movie I can remember watching was Sicario.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
Moana was very mediocre. The fact many of us even watched it reflects the many life changes over the years.

I have not watched a truly good movie in quite some time. The last good movie I can remember watching was Sicario.
Which I heard they are making a sequel to, which probably will be no good at all.

grillrat

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »
I actually just started on those shows in general, about 2/3 of the way done with Daredevil Season 1.  The downside is knowing everyone liked that show best of the 4, so this level probably won't maintain.
Kinda depends.  Iron Fist flat out sucked.  I wont deny it.

With that said, even though that I agree that Daredevil S1 was the best of the 5 products, both Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are good because they have very different "flavors" to them compared to DD.  Jessica Jones is an interesting portrayal because it tries to balance a super hero story with a domestic abuse story.  Luke Cage is very African-American culture-centric (and done very well).  If you appreciate that kind of theme, then you will enjoy it, but if it is not your bag of tea, then I could see how people would complain.

The most interesting appeal of these shows is actually how well they get into the personal lives of the bad guys.  One common theme throughout all the shows is that they try to portray the problems that the bad guys are experiencing.  By their actions, it is not in doubt that they are "the bad guys", but each show has tried to humanize them with various sub-plots that never make you care for them, but at least give you an understanding of their motivations.

Defenders was pretty good.  It is unfortunate in that it was mostly "meh", but there were a few scenes / episodes that were very cool and there was potential for much more.  The ending is a bit open as well, which I didn't like.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »
I have 3 co-workers I talk to about these things and oddly each had one they thought was good enough, one that was fine, and one that was meh out of those 3, and none of them matched up. (Jones, Cage, Fist)

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.