header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT-What sports would you like to see your school add/eliminate?

(Read 8654 times)

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
OT-What sports would you like to see your school add/eliminate?
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
...if any. 

Feel free to ignore Title IX if you like, since this is merely a message board.
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: OT-What sports would you like to see your school add/eliminate?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
Add:

Men's and women's Lacrosse 

Nothing to delete, and I am considering Title IX, even though we don't have to. 

If it was not a consideration, I guess I would like to see baseball in Madison again.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:45:41 AM »
I too wouldn't mind seeing ASU add men's and women's lacrosse. I'm still pretty stoked we added D1 hockey.
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

NickSmith4Three

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
Hockey (hopefully it is coming sometime), Lacrosse and Men's soccer

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 12:01:28 PM »
I too wouldn't mind seeing ASU add men's and women's lacrosse. I'm still pretty stoked we added D1 hockey.
Any word on a conference yet? 

The NCHA would be a good spot I'd think.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 12:07:44 PM »
For Purdue...

Add. Not sure what; don't particularly care. Just add something that most of the rest of the conference already has. I think we might sponsor the fewest scholarship sports in the entire conference. 

I don't want us to have the most sports in the conference, but I'd like to at least be TIED for the fewest instead of in sole possession of that slot. And then maybe add 1 or 2 more just so we're not even tied for the fewest.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 12:21:42 PM »
I know you said to ignore Title IX, so are we ignoring $$$ too?  If money is the concern I'd like to give ice hockey the boot.  It's a money pit, the program sucks, nobody cares, and the level of play in NCAA hockey is trash compared to even 20 years ago.  That money could be spent so much better.

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 12:29:42 PM »
I'm pretty happy with the Badgers' lineup, but if they were going to add, I would say lacrosse (mens and womens).

Title IX has little to do with it. Neither will be a revenue sport, both are equally good as opportunities for students, and both games are growing right now. I'll be just as proud of the women's team as the men's when they do well, much like the rest of the non-revenue sports.

I am on board with no baseball; in Wisconsin it makes little sense. School is out by the time the weather is conducive to playing. You could say the same about softball, but the field is smaller, so they can at least get better practices indoors. I'm sure there's some hypocrisy there, and the truth is I like college softball better than college baseball. It is near the pinnacle of the game, whereas college baseball is generally a feeder for the minor leagues.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:32:14 PM by SFBadger96 »

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
Add: Men's Volleyball  (though I recognize that would be a long haul to develop)

Eliminate:  Can we eliminate specific events?  Get rid of the Pole Vault, especially Indoors.  I have my reasons.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 12:41:24 PM »
add ice hockey, probably need women's along with men's because there is no ignoring Title IX

eliminate men's tennis, cross country, & golf - don't seem to be competitive and it sucks revenue and title IX ships
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
I'm pretty happy with the Badgers' lineup, but if they were going to add, I would say lacrosse (mens and womens).

Title IX has little to do with it. Neither will be a revenue sport, both are equally good as opportunities for students, and both games are growing right now. I'll be just as proud of the women's team as the men's when they do well, much like the rest of the non-revenue sports.

I am on board with no baseball; in Wisconsin it makes little sense. School is out by the time the weather is conducive to playing. You could say the same about softball, but the field is smaller, so they can at least get better practices indoors. I'm sure there's some hypocrisy there, and the truth is I like college softball better than college baseball. It is near the pinnacle of the game, whereas college baseball is generally a feeder for the minor leagues.
Yeah, baseball is not high on my list, other than the fact that UW is the only conference school that doesn't have it.

I would support whacking golf if it meant adding Lacrosse.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »
I'd add Men's soccer and swimming..  I think both have been really hurt by Title IX.    I think UNL needs to add women's field hockey too.

I'd also like to see rugby..

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:52:34 PM »
I know you said to ignore Title IX, so are we ignoring $$$ too?  If money is the concern I'd like to give ice hockey the boot.  It's a money pit, the program sucks, nobody cares, and the level of play in NCAA hockey is trash compared to even 20 years ago.  That money could be spent so much better.
Some folks enjoy tinkering with the numbers, so if you'd like to take the money and Title IX and all that into account have at it. 
If you like a sport and your school doesn't sponsor it, that's good enough to give it a mention in this thread. 
As for OSU, they already sponsor all NCAA varsity sports except Skiing, Bowling, Beach VB, and Water Polo.
Obviously downhill skiing isn't a realistic option in this part of the country, but the order I'd like to see them add the others would be:
1. Beach VB
2. Water Polo
3. Bowling

1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »
Some folks enjoy tinkering with the numbers, so if you'd like to take the money and Title IX and all that into account have at it.
If you like a sport and your school doesn't sponsor it, that's good enough to give it a mention in this thread.
As for OSU, they already sponsor all NCAA varsity sports except Skiing, Bowling, Beach VB, and Water Polo.
Obviously downhill skiing isn't a realistic option in this part of the country, but the order I'd like to see them add the others would be:
1. Beach VB
2. Water Polo
3. Bowling

I guess lacrosse is the sport I enjoy the most MSU doesn't sponsor.
From pure enjoyment, replace wrestling.  Can't stand it.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.