header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Senseless Recruiting Jibberish

(Read 42878 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Senseless Recruiting Jibberish
« Reply #266 on: August 13, 2018, 08:37:25 AM »
I love camp offers. That means the coaches liked what they saw. Any DL that Brown likes is OK in my book.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: August 13, 2018, 09:05:04 AM »
I love camp offers. That means the coaches liked what they saw. Any DL that Brown likes is OK in my book.
This

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: August 15, 2018, 01:33:02 PM »
3* RB Demetrius Mauney decommits from Purdue, citing family health issues and wanting to remain closer to home (he's from NC). 

Still a couple higher-rated RBs listed as "warm" interest for Purdue on 247, though. Purdue has one RB ranked a little lower than Mauney already committed, but this is expected to be at least a 2-RB class, so the coaches will certainly be looking to swing for some of those players with this news.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: August 15, 2018, 02:48:53 PM »
I agree with this pragmatically. That if a camper suddenly becomes a "Plan A" recruit, fans should be glad to get him. However in those years when your non-camp recruiting is going poorly, it must be theoretically possible to dig deeper than you otherwise should into camp recruits. As fans, it's hard to differentiate those cases. The heuristics might be: (1) unusually bad recruiting year, (2) unusual excess of camp commits.
Separate from that but perhaps also a bad heuristic: waiting to offer a camper only if the Plan A's and B's go elsewhere.

rolltidefan

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #270 on: August 15, 2018, 03:25:59 PM »

Of course, we know any time a kid gets an offer from a Bama or Ohio State they suddenly gain a star, or so it seems.

i often see this idea, and it's fairly obvious, but i've never understood why this is shocking or frowned upon by people.
this is/was true of usc/texas in the mid 00's, miami/fsu in early 00's, etc.
there's 2 things at play, imo.
1 - when the top schools are turning their attention towards you, these 'recruiting gurus' will likewise pay more attention to you, which theoretically, will give them a better gauge of your abilities.
2 - and this is likely where most people find fault, though it seems fine to me, if the best teams (by perception or otherwise) are recruiting you, then you must be among the best yourself.
this obviously isn't how it work, but an example would be if a kid is going pro, and he has a bunch of cfl teams coming by and looking at him, he might be a middling player. but when the nfl teams, especially the better talent evaluating teams (again, perception or otherwise) come looking and calling, the kid will start to get more recognition as a top overall player. and rightly so.
i'm perfectly fine with kids getting second looks from the recruiting sites and bumps when the big schools start getting involved. cause then it means the people who will be fired if they miss to many think that kid is good. and if they think so, i'm more inclined to believe it.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #271 on: August 15, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »
i often see this idea, and it's fairly obvious, but i've never understood why this is shocking or frowned upon by people.
I'm with you. I think it's fairly obvious. 
Recruiting services have limited time and limited budget. They can only see a certain number of players. They can only spend a certain amount of time and resources evaluating them. 
It's obvious they're not going to get all the calls right. And a lot of times when a player that they've barely looked at is a 3* and suddenly Nick Saban is following him, they look at that player's tape more closely and say: "Hey, maybe he's better than we thought... He looks like a 4* when you really look closely."
----------
I think the issue is that fans want the recruiting services to be experts. They want these rankings to be perfect. They never will be, but there is this Platonic ideal level of performance by the recruiting services that they hold them to. When the recruiting services see that a helmet is offering someone and bumps his rating, those fans say "Hey, rivals/247/etc, you LIED to us!"

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: August 15, 2018, 04:05:23 PM »
I'm ok with the offer bump, for the reasons already given.  It's the commit bump that is just to keep the large subscriber bases happy which I find comical.

Yes, if a helmet wants you, and they can get in the door with any kid, that's probably significant.  That fact that a kid ultimately picks a helmet is not.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: August 24, 2018, 10:14:33 PM »
4* LB Kane Patterson (6'2, 225 lbs) of Tennessee is the first to de-commit from Ohio State during the Urban Meyer drama. Patterson is the #199 ranked player overall and the #9 MLB in the 247Composite rankings. He picked OSU over Alabama and Tennessee last go round. Probably a safe bet to wind up in the SEC or Clemson.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: August 25, 2018, 05:41:11 AM »
I'm ok with the offer bump, for the reasons already given.  It's the commit bump that is just to keep the large subscriber bases happy which I find comical.

Yes, if a helmet wants you, and they can get in the door with any kid, that's probably significant.  That fact that a kid ultimately picks a helmet is not.
I don't think it's possible to separate most offer bumps from commit bumps. Especially when a sleeper gets a helmet offer and commits immediately. In many cases, that kid never should have been a sleeper in the first place, and the fact that the bump came after a commitment only distracts from that.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: August 25, 2018, 07:07:41 AM »
I don't think it's possible to separate most offer bumps from commit bumps. Especially when a sleeper gets a helmet offer and commits immediately. In many cases, that kid never should have been a sleeper in the first place, and the fact that the bump came after a commitment only distracts from that.
Sure, but frequently they don't, and in those cases the commit bump is an obvious money grab.  Which is fine, they have a business to run, and helmets provide their biggest subscriber base.

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: August 25, 2018, 09:12:36 AM »
My point about the ratings bumps isn't that it's bad or a surprise, but that the star ratings are really not very useful overall.

One could just look at who is getting major offers and presume they are really good.  It turns into circular "logic".

Some kid signs with Boise State as a 3 star and stays there but in reality is a very good player who simply wanted to go to BSU and no other schools offered knowing that.

We could probably rank kids based on number of offers times a factor reflecting the status of that program.

And the recruiting rankers do spend way more time on the 4-5 star guys eeking out a few more points, or a few less, depending on random events.

I think too much is made of who has 5 stars versus 4 or 3 in general and whether your team is #1 or #5 or $9, heaven forbit your team would fall all the way to #9 (especially if it is because they had only 16 commits).  It's an off season gig I know.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »
I endorse the thread title though.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: August 26, 2018, 11:14:13 PM »
can't get them all - but it's worth a shot

WR position is decent

if he was going to play corner it would hurt more
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.