header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Bama or Buckeyes?

(Read 14921 times)

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Bama or Buckeyes?
« on: December 03, 2017, 03:23:35 AM »
A 1-loss Bama vs a 2-loss Ohio State who won the B1G.

Hmmm.  I think what cuts with me is the nature of OSU’s losses.  No problem with losing to OU, that’s on par with Bama’s loss to Auburn.  But the absolute trouncing of the Buckeyes by Iowa.  That one is hard to overlook.

Guess I’d lean Bama.  Opinions?

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Bama or Buckeyes?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 08:23:30 AM »
I'm guessing tOSU.  The committee has made a point that conference championships and good wins matter more than losses.  tOSU's wins over a 12-1 Wiscy, 10-2 Penn State, and 9-3 MSU are better than any of Bama's wins (9-3 LSU, 8-4 MissSt, 9-4 Fresno St).  At the start of the season, Bama's win over then #2 FSU would be huge.  FSU tanking really hurt the tide.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 09:32:20 AM »
Im guessing OSU only because the committee hopefully wont pick 2 from same conf and the fact they love OSU
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »
course a true payback would be to pick Wisc and payback what they did last year
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »
Maybe Wisconsin had someone injured last night, and the Committee can therefore sort of overlook the loss, as the Committee has been doing for Clemson since its loss to Syracuse.
Play Like a Champion Today

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:35:45 AM »
loss to the Cuse was very bad, and I don't excuse the talkin heads and committee for dismissing this loss, but...

at the end of the season(today) Clemson obviously belongs in the top 4.  #1 or #2 really doesn't matter in my opinion
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:38:39 AM »
course a true payback would be to pick Wisc and payback what they did last year
example of Utee's helmetosity theory
why it wouldn't happen 
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 10:41:59 AM »
does the committee reward SOS and conference championship?

or

fewer losses and the "bama" factor

I'm guessing, just like the past seasons, they simply take the 4 one-loss teams that did not lose yesterday.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »
loss to the Cuse was very bad, and I don't excuse the talkin heads and committee for dismissing this loss, but...

at the end of the season(today) Clemson obviously belongs in the top 4.  #1 or #2 really doesn't matter in my opinion
Yes to all of that.  I won't argue with Clemson's #1 ranking that I expect to see in a couple of hours.
But as I posted on the B1G board, I'm sick of hearing that rationale trotted out each week by Kirby Hocutt.
Vote 'em where you think they belong, but don't give us this weekly tale of woe about their QB getting hurt.
Play Like a Champion Today

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »
agreed

talking heads are not very bright

just want to be noticed

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »
I know it isn't supposed to be political or commercial but I have a hard time believing they will be leaving out the B1G and the PAC12 thus alienating the majority of the nation's TV sets.

I agree with Clemson being #1, they look like the best team to me.  I also agree that I'm sick of hearing "their QB was hurt for Syracuse" excuse.  We shouldn't be hearing that now, their resume should be all the justification necessary.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »
The Pac12 just doesnt have a playoff team this year

They wont leave out the Big10

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »
All true about the control of the B1G over CFB and TV sets in the Midwest.

But thinking about those TVs, would any college football fan in say Illinois really be more interested in watching Ohio St over Alabama?

And Bama is just a more resilient team in general year in and year out.  I doubt anyone in the country could beat Alabama by 31 points.  

Ohio State lost by 31 (to nothing) in the playoffs last year and they lost by 31 to a good but not great Iowa this year.  The potential for another snoozer blowout of the Buckeyes is there.

Meanwhile I just looked it up and Bammer has not beaten by more than 14 points going back to at least 2010 (I stopped there it but it probably goes back even further). And I only found three games where they lost by double digits: this year by 12 to Auburn, then by 14 to each of OU and South Carolina back several years ago.

Bama will deliver a good game.  Ohio State could lay a big O at midfield (perhaps for Baker to plant a second flag in lol)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »
All true about the control of the B1G over CFB and TV sets in the Midwest.

But thinking about those TVs, would any college football fan in say Illinois really be more interested in watching Ohio St over Alabama?
yes, more TVs in Chicago will be watching the Buckeyes as opposed to Bama

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.