header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Baker Mayfield is the most important player in Big 12 history

(Read 10282 times)

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Baker Mayfield is the most important player in Big 12 history
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 11:05:21 PM »
CW my 2 cents worth on Baker vs VY

Baker is a much better passer then VY

VY was a bigger dual threat then Baker

Each has the heart of a champion

They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 12:26:15 AM »
Agree with 320. 

And as I think you’re alluding Cdub, VY’s 2005 season is still the gold standard.  The only other Big 12 QB that has come close to that one was Josh Heupel in leading OU to a perfect 2000 and NC victory.  But still Vince’s 2005 has to be considered better given the nature of how the Texas offense won the Rose Bowl (whereas it was really the OU defense who won the Orange Bowl in the 2000 game).  Who can forget how VY capped that game, with that amazing 4th and goal score of his in the Rose Bowl, icing the game and the NC for the Horns.

That was one of the greatest plays in the history of not just the big 12, but of all of college football.

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 07:51:08 PM »
I'm surprised FF hasn't chimed in with Tommy Frasier and the '95 Huskers.  He went 12-0 & an MNC.  It wasn't as dramatic as VY's 4th & long to win the game but that Husker team dominated like no other I can remember.

Oh, I went and checked and the Big 12 didn't start play until '96 even though it was established in '94.  Anyhow, it was a great team.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »
I suppose I could have went with Scott Frost

brought the Big 12 it's first MNC

but, even with the Big 12 in it's early years, the conference wasn't begging for respect in 96 or 97
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 07:50:36 AM »
No doubt.  They played a Big 8 schedule wiping out everyone (incl 37-0 over the beloved) in the conference as well as Mich St, Ariz St and then a total thumping of Florida in the NC game.

That was pre SEC SEC SEC.

Do you think Frost is gonna bring that TO glory back FF?

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »
yes, I think Scott will be successful.

probably not to the glory of Osborne's final 5 seasons, but the 9-10 wins with a few Big Ten titles.

He has as good a chance as anyone out there right now.

strong coaching history since he jumped in, and mostly, he knows Lincoln, UNL, and the modern game

ya never know for sure, he could fail, but he will get some time and support
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
I’d love to see him do well, particularly in 2021, where I hope he just has one regular season loss that year (and a second of course if it turns out we meet up in the playoffs).

Too bad Riley didn’t work out.  He had some great years (but also some mediocre ones) in Corvallis.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 07:19:06 PM »
yup, everyone wanted to see Riley succeed

great guy

just not a great fit in the Big Ten West - gotta run the ball and stop the run - or ya git run over

If Frost doesn't have things going well by 2021 the natives will be getting restless -  beating the Sooners would be a huge boost

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 08:35:44 PM »
Good luck to Scott Frost.

Hard to accept that the 2021 OU-Nebraska game will be 50 years after the GOTCOTC.
Play Like a Champion Today

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »
don't have to accept that we are getting old

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »
Looks like Baker will play in the Senior Bowl.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21847810/baker-mayfield-oklahoma-sooners-accepts-senior-bowl-invite

The dude plays for the love of playing.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »
His enthusiasm is highly contagious

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2017, 11:54:05 PM »
I said to a friend of mine last season, that it is finally fun to watch OU again.   I still watch a lot of OU games, but they really haven't had a charismatic type guy like Baker in some time.   Bradford and Landry Jones and others were great players no doubt, and some good skill players as usual, but nobody was must see.  Baker has been must see TV for me.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.