header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 210935 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #560 on: March 30, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »
why in the wide wide world of sports is Jeff Bagwell wearing a GB Packers cap in a mexican restaurant called Irma's across the street form the Stro's ballpark in Houston????

did he lose a bet or marry a Packer Backer???

maybe the Patriots sucked when Bags was a kid, but not more than the Pack
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #561 on: April 03, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »
Fandom is a weird and seemingly arbitrary thing.

I listen to sports radio here in the ATX and the talk show hosts occasionally let their preferences be known.

Craig Way, the long time play by play guy for Longhorn sports, is originally from North Carolina so he's a closet Tar Heels fan but he let on last year that he's also a Dodgers fan.  Why?

Then there's Chad Hastings who grew up in Waxahachie and went to A&M.  He's a Bucs fan.  Why?

Then there's Kevin Dunn who grew up in Austin as the son of parents from Chicago who went to Notre Dame, so you can kind of see why he likes the Horns, the Irish and the Cubs.

Then there's this guy named BK who grew up in Austin and roots for the Horns but also likes Jayhawk basketball.  Why?

Perhaps the weirdest is Bucky Godbolt who grew up in Pennsylvania, went to Boston College and coached at Illinois and Texas.  He likes the Yankees and the Vikings.  Why?

And so it goes.  Nearly every "personality" on the station has some weird affiliation.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #562 on: April 03, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »
life is weird

especially in Austin
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #563 on: April 03, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »
Ain't that the truth.

I was born and raised in Austin by two Texas grads, and I graduated from UT with an undergrad and graduate degree, and I'm a Longhorn fan.    Growing up in Austin and spending a lot of time with my uncle and cousins in Fort Worth, I'm also a Dallas Cowboys fan.

Makes no sense at all!

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #564 on: April 03, 2018, 02:01:40 PM »

Ain't that the truth.

I was born and raised in Austin by two Texas grads, and I graduated from UT with an undergrad and graduate degree, and I'm a Longhorn fan.    Growing up in Austin and spending a lot of time with my uncle and cousins in Fort Worth, I'm also a Dallas Cowboys fan.

Makes no sense at all!

While your choice of teams to root for makes plausible sense, there is  - nonetheless - much about you, mi amigo, that makes no sense.
Hockey for example.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: April 03, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »
My hockey scthick (get it?) is a bit of a joke.

But I'm definitely a huge fan of Formula 1, Ferrari in particular.  And also of international soccer, and of the EPL in particular, especially Manchester United.  Neither of those two make much sense for a native Austinite born and raised in the 70s/80s, that's for sure!

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #566 on: April 03, 2018, 03:35:20 PM »
Well... we do live in an F1 town.  

And Manchester United is one of those trendy things, like yoga, vegetarianism, gardens,  shelter pets, beards, online grocery shopping and e-menus.   Everybody in the ATX has to have at least one affectation like that.  Yours could be worse.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: April 03, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »
Manchester United is basically the New York Yankees of the EPL, so not really an affectation, more of a bandwagon thing if you want to get all accusatory and judgy about it.

And I've been an F1 fan since the early 80s, so a little bit before Austin had a track.  

I'd say my ironic hipster-style Austin affectation was wearing mesh-back trucker hats (we called 'em "gimme caps" back then 'cause they were all free), but I did it all through the 80s and 90s and never stopped.  At least, not until the hipsters started doing it, and it was no longer ironic.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #568 on: April 03, 2018, 10:22:41 PM »
Bravo. Getting defensive and claiming you did something ironically long before it became a cliche has to be the most quintessential Austin cliche ever.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: April 03, 2018, 10:28:25 PM »
YOU GET ME!!!!!! :88:

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #570 on: April 04, 2018, 10:46:13 AM »
One of my latest Austin affectations was to buy a tin of beard balm.  I suspect it may simply be a rebranding of Crisco and I'm not exactly sure what it does other than making my hand greasy and my beard whiter, but I look damn good and get lots of compliments so I guess I'm committed to doing it for the rest of my working career.

One day I came to work in a slim fit suit and a cute 30 something female coworker said I remind her of James Bond.  I asked, "Are you saying I look like an old man trying to be cool and impress young women?"

She said, "Yes."

But she winked when she said it, so at least I have that going for me.     

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #571 on: April 04, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
did you immediately inform her how much you appreciate the "sneaky" nipple experience?

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #572 on: April 04, 2018, 08:32:54 PM »
Nah. They have rules about sexual harassment nowadays.  Best just to leave her wink unreciprocated.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #573 on: April 04, 2018, 08:44:12 PM »
I may have mentioned that a couple of years ago I took a short term part time job at a Home Depot to bump up my income just enough that I could buy three sons vehicles wihout incurring debt. 

What I had never realized before I started working there but soon realized once I was there is that an inordinate number of people in this metro area get their jollies by doing things of a rather exhibitionary and risque nature along the back wall of the store and wihin our demo store rooms.  

A disappointing majority of the interactions seemed to be of the not-that-there’s-anything-wrong-with-that variety, followed by the  motorcycle grandma variety.  But every now and then a panner finds a gold nugget among the river rocks and gravel.  And so it was.  Ever so often you’d come across a little angel sent straight from heaven in a handbasket.   The nips weren’t so sneaky the.  Rather a single item on a smorgasbord.  But still... if you weren’t careful something like that could make you walk into the corner of a sheet of tin.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.