header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Da Bears vs Da Horns

(Read 6284 times)

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
Da Bears vs Da Horns
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:53:35 AM »
Well maybe this will be the first Sat in the last couple we dont get kicked in the nuts

Vegas opening line favors the Horns by 10

Course Im sure that Baylor will give its best effort of the year so who knows

anyway heres hoping
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Da Bears vs Da Horns
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »
We've really got to take some of this off of the QB.  It's time to figure out some semblance of a run game, and I would press the issue against Baylor.  Get Carter in there more.  Keep pounding Warren and be content with 3 yard gains.

I will be prepared to judge Beck a lot more on this game than on the past heavyweight fights.  We have a legit chance in this game.  We are favored.  We should be able to cook up a few things that work.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
Defensively, Baylor's front line has some punch. They're not world beaters, but they can stop a runner between the tackles. 

I say that because Baylor's secondary is hopeless. Once the ball is past the LOS, you can run freely wherever you'd like. Youth, injury, whatever, they just lack the cohesion to handle next level stuff like recognizing alignments, rotating assignments, and disguising coverage. They pretend one thing, then show their hand a full 5 seconds before the ball is snapped. 

If Colin Johnson has indeed been working on his physicality on the line, Saturday could be a career day for him.

All this is predicated, of course, on the Texas OL being able to present even token resistance - no sure thing.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:18:44 AM »
IMO, games like this are a much better barometer of Coach Herman's progress than games against better competition because even under Coach Strong, Texas generally played up to the level of its competition.  

It was maddening losses to Iowa State, Texas Tech and Kansas that killed Charlie Strong's career at Texas.  Herman's Horns already have the Maryland debacle on its resume.  Will there be more?

I hope not.  I hope Texas can win by at least two scores.  Three would be better.

I don't buy into the BS about a dearth of bodies on the OL.  We had such a dearth in 2014 when there were literally only 7 guys who could play OL.  Despite the injuries, Texas still has twice that many on scholarship who were highly sought-after coming out of HS.  Burn redshirts.  Put Cuney at C.  Simplify the assignments with power instead of zone.

Go with a two back, three wide set.  Put Kirk Johnson in the backfield with Warren.

Take shots deep downfield off play actions and run draws against blitzes.

Football isn't that complicated.

Mr Tulip

• Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »
I want Texas to run a play that consists of Chris Warren under center  with Poona Ford, Chris Nelson, and Gerald Wilbon behind him. This play will consist of nothing more than Warren getting the snap and the rest of the fat boys shoving him through the A gap. 

I believe this play is perfect for, say, 2nd and 4 near the opponent's goal line when you want a first down on 2 plays.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »
I want Texas to run a play that consists of Chris Warren under center  with Poona Ford, Chris Nelson, and Gerald Wilbon behind him. This play will consist of nothing more than Warren getting the snap and the rest of the fat boys shoving him through the A gap.

I believe this play is perfect for, say, 2nd and 4 near the opponent's goal line when you want a first down on 2 plays.
I got a better idea
just tape a handle to Warren's back
that way all the OL can just pick him up and just tote him down field
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Mr Tulip

• Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 03:12:09 PM »
Mostly because carrying players is still against the rules, but you're legally allowed to push the ball carrier rugby style (thank you, Reggie Bush).

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »

I've got it!  Give the ball to Heard.  Have him roll up tight around the ball.  And then have Dickson punt him into the end zone.

Leverage your strengths.  Football is not that hard.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »
Looks like Shane is our guy this Sat
I'm quite content with this.  Hopefully he will connect on a couple of 60 yarders and we will realize what we have been missing - notwithstanding the chest-beating bravado that fans get from a QB running headlong into defenders.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 05:50:57 PM »
Hope Shane remains healthy

better tell the water boy to start taking snaps

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »
Hope Shane remains healthy

better tell the water boy to start taking snaps
No worries.  I hear tell we have horses everywhere.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.