header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 214690 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #700 on: October 18, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »
I like the state of Texas in general, but the appeal lessens when thinking about retirement.  After the boon of no state income tax wears off, put me in a place like Louisiana where property taxes aren't going to eat my soul until I die.  

...but not actually Louisiana.  
ya don't need or want a large piece of real estate when ya retire
If the house or yard is too big and nice and worth something, the children will be stopping by and staying far too often and for too long of periods
git yerself a small shotgun shack that doesn't have enough worth to tax
less carpet to vacuum
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #701 on: October 18, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
You may underestimate Texas' ability to level property taxes.  

I could retire in a cardboard box under the bridge here and it'd be more than I want to pay in retirement.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #702 on: October 18, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »
The amount I pay my mortgage company each month is 50% mortgage and interest (mostly the latter), 10% insurance (via escrow) and 40% property tax (via escrow).  I couldn’t believe my property tax the first few years but now I’m used to it.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #703 on: October 18, 2018, 06:46:50 PM »
Plenty opportunity to work your magic.
Nah.  Live and let live.  They do make great neighbors though.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #704 on: October 18, 2018, 06:48:05 PM »
Amos.  Might I suggest the aforementioned Kerrville. Their trees turn colors.  I’ll move there if you move there.

https://www.thearmchairexplorer.com/texas/texas-scenic-byways
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:52:18 PM by CharleyHorse46 »

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #705 on: October 18, 2018, 07:12:18 PM »

I also wanna build a deck, so I can sit outside and drink coffee while I take in the autumn weather and look at the pretty leaves.

Jeez....what happened to me?  
I totally get this, but I've always been into leaves, falling leaves.  And I mean literally.  
I remember back when I was in scouts (mostly cub, but some boy), we'd spend overnighters at Fred Darby, which is a camp in the Boston Mtns close to Tenkiller Lake, generally in the area of Where the Red Fern Grows.  This place was full of hills densely adorned with blackjack and pin oak trees, and in the fall all those leaves would come down and the floor was so thick with them that you could get a big piece of cardboard and go sliding down those leaf piles down into the ravines for hundreds of feet at a time.  It was as good as sledding after a big snow.  Now, it should be acknowledged that not infrequently one of those big slides would come to a sudden stop when you hit some rock outcrop, but we were young and no one broke anything that I heard of anyway.  And so like in a sledding day (eastern Okla had about four good sleddable snows a year - not as good as where FF is from but still some respectable snow days would always happen), we'd trudge back up to the top of the hillslope and go careening down again, daring those hidden rock outcrops to do whatever damage they could.
So, for me, big piles of deciduous leaves had a very active element to them growing up, right in there with bouncing a basketball or riding your banana bike around a dirt track jumping ramps.
Now, though, as I'm too old to do anything as nutty as slide down a rocky hillslope covered in leaves on a piece of cardboard into a ravine, I'm perfectly fine just to sip my tea, ideally after having enjoyed one of my remaining edibles from an Oregon dispensary, and look out over a landscape of leaves, particularly red ones from oak trees, and my new digs here in Md are full of oaks among other trees like maples, and reminisce about leaf sledding days of yesteryear.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:15:40 PM by CousinFreddie »

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #706 on: October 19, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »
Amos.  Might I suggest the aforementioned Kerrville. Their trees turn colors.  I’ll move there if you move there.

I do love the Fredericksburg area.  Can't remember if I've stopped in Kerrville or not.  I'm inclined to think they're still going to kill me in property taxes and not have enough cool weather, but it's worth doing my research.  I'll happily be neighbors with you.  
Longhorns make good neighbors.  Had a Michigan fan next door one time in Pflugerville that sucked, tho. 

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #707 on: October 19, 2018, 02:40:09 PM »
I totally get this, but I've always been into leaves, falling leaves.

Head to northern Arkansas.  I would if I wasn't so Texanized.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #708 on: October 19, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »
Head to northern Arkansas.  I would if I wasn't so Texanized.
Right - what I described was northeastern Oklahoma, about half an hour from the Arkansas border.  The Ozarks (Boston Mtns are the southern part of the Ozarks) are totally charming, and they extend well into Oklahoma.
I'll never live there again, as life has taken me in other directions, but it was a pretty nice area to grow up in.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #709 on: October 19, 2018, 05:29:13 PM »
Longhorns make good neighbors.  Had a Michigan fan next door one time in Pflugerville that sucked, tho.
I hear ya.  Dude next door to me is from northern Ohio, outside Toledo, so he's a Michigan fan too.   Dude next to him is from Rhode Island and is a Patriots fan.  The huge overly friendly proselytizing family across the street root for BYU.  Lady across the other street (I live on a corner) is a Penn State fan.  The hillbilly cattycorner from me is a Texas Tech fan.
Ain't no normal people anywhere in the ATX metro nowadays.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #710 on: October 21, 2018, 09:58:57 PM »
count your blessings

no Sooners or Huskers near
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #711 on: October 21, 2018, 10:19:16 PM »

I'm in.
Gotta be some BBQ there.
And I found the muni course
http://www.golfkerrvilletex.com/course/

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #712 on: October 22, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »
We could start an ex-pat community.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #713 on: October 22, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »
Been years since I owned any property in Louisiana, so my memory was fuzzy.  But I just asked my grandma this weekend what her property taxes are.  She has 4 or 5 lots, zoned and fenced into one very big yard.  A house, a nice workshed and some other structures make up the improvements.  Her annual property taxes are $87 and some change.

You Texans just think about that for a minute.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.