header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018 Coaching Carousel

(Read 28588 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2018 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2019, 04:21:47 PM »
Northern Illinois, the Huskers’ third 2019 opponent, is looking for a new head coach as Rod Carey takes the job at Temple.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

rolltidefan

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »
Disagree, I think he's perfect for a team with a talent advantage.  Like we were discussing in the thread about how maybe having Tua wasn't best for Alabama, because they went away from how they are built, Chaney can stay within the framework that works, but has more wrinkles.  HobesHon, Harbaugh should hire him, I think he'd do great in Ann Arbor.
what thread is that? cause it's wrong, whoever suggested that. we didn't do much different from what we've been doing, we were just amazingly more effective in doing it.
also, haven't checked this thread in awhile, bama has had quite a few coaches jumping to better spots.
oc coach locksley to maryland hc
wr coach gattis is oc at mich.
qb coach enos is oc at miami.
ol coach keys is ol/assistant hc at ga tech (his alma mater)
might be more movement coming.
good for them all, but man this is getting old. i'll be honest, until about halfway through the season i'm not sure i knew all of our coaches names.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: January 11, 2019, 06:59:38 PM »
it wouls stand to reason that Clemson would lose as many assistants
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: January 11, 2019, 08:55:53 PM »
Interesting thread!

It's a few days old now, but Oklahoma hired Buckeye Co-DC Alex Grinch as DC.

Sooner fans are mostly very impressed, although there have been grumblings that the Buckeye defense in '18 wasn't stellar.  The response to that from the cheering section has been that Schiano ran the defense.

A lot of Sooner fans believe that if we had had even a mediocre defense the last two years we'd have won national championships #8 and 9.  Two once-in-a-generation QBs in a row, and what we have to show for it is four conference championships and three semifinal losses in the CFP.  Four consecutive conference championships is no small thing, but with offenses led by Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, there seemed to be potential for much more than that.

I think Grinch will do fine.  The defensive talent isn't Bama- or Clemson-esque, but it's good enough to be near the top in the Big 12, instead of #8, 9, or 10 in just about every category.  And recruiting is getting better.  If Grinch is as good at OU as he was at Wazou, he'll do fine and so will we.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:09:26 PM by CWSooner »
Play Like a Champion Today

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2019, 01:11:08 PM »
Sark to Alabama as OC? Damn. Alabama had a lights out offensive staff and that offense broke every record under the sun- and now they go from that to a re-tread in Sark? Really? Weak ass hire. Probably going to see the same thing happen at Bama as what happened in Atlanta. Falcons go to the Super Bowl and have a record setting offense- then Kyle Shannan leaves and Sark comes in and Atlanta's record breaking offense falls off a cliff. Deja vu?

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »
I'm OK with this

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »
Not all college coaches succeed in the NFL and vice-versa. Saban stunk it up in the NFL. Spurrier too. Who knows what Sark could have done at USC had he not been a drunk. If he's past that, he might be good.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: January 15, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
Not all college coaches succeed in the NFL and vice-versa. Saban stunk it up in the NFL. Spurrier too. Who knows what Sark could have done at USC had he not been a drunk. If he's past that, he might be good.
I don't know man. Not a believer in Sark. At all. Never thought he was all that. He's all hype. Literally. When he was at USC he was an errand boy. That was Norm Chow's explosive offense. What'd he do at Washington? Nothing. What'd he do at USC? Nothing. He basically just got fired from the Atlanta Falcons and the fans were happy as hell to see him go.
To me he's a dinosaur, coattail riding past his prime never was. Sort of like a Pep Hamilton, but probably got bigger opportunities to prove just how mediocre he is because he's white.

fezzador

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: January 15, 2019, 04:18:59 PM »
On the surface, it's a head-scratcher (surely the money the Cardinals would be paying him as an OC is significantly more than for the same position at Alabama).  But it might not have been a bad move on his part, since there's more stability in the college ranks for assistant coaches than in the NFL.  At Alabama, he's not getting paid to think.  He's getting paid to pay lip service to Nick Saban.  And that seems to be something he's more than comfortable with.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: January 23, 2019, 06:47:01 PM »
Mike Hart a finalist for the ND RB coach job. Might even be the leader in the clubhouse. 

I will throw up in my mouth if he gets that job. Harbaugh needs to get off his ass and bring Hart home.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: January 23, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
Mike Hart a finalist for the ND RB coach job. Might even be the leader in the clubhouse.

I will throw up in my mouth if he gets that job. Harbaugh needs to get off his ass and bring Hart home.
Too much bad blood?
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: January 23, 2019, 07:07:18 PM »
Too much bad blood?
Apparently not. Insiders say Hart bleeds Michigan and would walk over broken glass to get that job offer. 
Harbaugh talked to him about coming on board two off-seasons ago but they decided to hire another OL coach and move JayBaugh to RB coach. Big mistake. Should’ve offered Hart the job then and there.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: January 23, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
Good for Mike if he gets it.

As for bad blood, I doubt it. The hatchet seems pretty well buried, and I'm not sure either actually ever saw it as that big of a deal. Rhetoric, sure. But just one week of sound bytes (did not continue for years) and not enough to compromise a career trajectory. Similar example: Harbaugh was a meaningful nemesis of Jim McElwain's and yet JMc readily joined the staff to become JH's inferior despite it. Because good career moves are good career moves. And probably because the one in Ann Arbor is a neutral if not outright positive work environment. For every rumor scandalizing that Harbaugh is hard to work for, there's an anecdote implying he's fun to be around.

Mike Hart's a professional. Bad blood shouldn't be assumed.

mcwterps1

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: January 23, 2019, 08:24:13 PM »
Pitt picked up Chris Beatty. 

Very good recruiter. Wish we would have kept him on board in some capacity. 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.