header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT: Online Civility

(Read 12657 times)

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
OT: Online Civility
« on: November 06, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »
There was a piece on the radio today about how to better teach and encourage civics. There was a lot in it that I agreed with, but it ended with, "no one has figured out how to have a civil online conversation." And I thought, "not true! I know just the place."

So kudos to you around here who have managed it. Not without some trying times, of course--and I'm still planning to go out in a giant orange ball of political flames some day (but my day hasn't come yet)--but this place really has stayed pretty darned civil over the years--even on the older platform (with more users).

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: OT: Online Civility
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 06:59:26 PM »
Indeed.  

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »
Palabra a tu mamá

Reyd

• Walk On
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:24:10 PM »
Bah! I think most of us are too old or too lazy to pull the knives out and throw them back. Or maybe we recognize the futility of infinite knife throwing and opt for civility. *flips a coin*. Can I change my attitude on the knife throwing moratorium?

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
I suspect many of us have viewed the more typical sports and political message boards are have realized they are a waste of time and effort.  While we all "pull" for our teams on Saturday, we understand that teams (usually) have flaws and can discuss them with civility.

Just yelling on line gets boring rather quickly.

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 07:18:14 AM »
I got a lot of problems with you people and now you're going to hear about it

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 07:34:13 AM »
Palabra a tu mamá
Them's fighting words - what ever the hell they mean
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 08:03:41 AM »
Internet Tough Guy is the most pathetic persona to adopt.  Stay on Twitter or the comment pages of Yahoo if that's your shtick.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 08:12:45 AM »
Them's fighting words - what ever the hell they mean
"Word to your mother," friend.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »
And what tongue was that Polynesian?Northern Cheyenne?

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 08:18:35 AM »
Internet Tough Guy is the most pathetic persona to adopt.  Stay on Twitter or the comment pages of Yahoo if that's your shtick.
or tean home boards,that I only visit for information.Loaded with program lackeys & slappies

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »
the civility found with this group is the biggest motivator to keep us together, methinks.   the thing that fascinates me about this group is the open mindedness that exists here that is hard to find elsewhere.  it's as if internet flamers believe their comments carry more value than anyone else's elsewhere- where here folks are willing to entertain other vantages and weigh them against their own.

the political board south of this one is a curiosity.  there are few posters from one side of the aisle and many from the other.  those guys, however, have been together for 20+ years, and they know how to take each other.  if you doubt the connection between them, pop in there and attack the boards 'black sheep' @fuzzynavol and see how quickly he will be defended.  i realize the interaction is alien to most who came here from CFNScout, but it's not nearly as nasty as it appears.  People don't have near the intended animosity as it appears on the surface.  they are a good bunch of guys, and though they don't venture out of there much they also have pretty dang good analytical skills when it comes to the game.  they came from scout before the cfn merger, or fox merger, or whatever merger there was that provided barrier between the two prior sites.  Fuzzynavol, and i have locked horns several times, but i read what he posts and it is fairly considered- i may not reply as if i took anything he said into account, but i did- and he may post as if he thinks the rest of us are children, but we know he's thinking about it...

i've seen @OrangeAfroMan and @mcwterps1 venture in there and get flamed w/o mercy or regard, but it's because they're 'outsiders'.  that place is clannish. the only assimilation i've seen made w/o hiccup is @BrownCounty ... @CatsbyAZ  has made effort and done well, too- and largely because i think he takes the whole circumstance in stride recognizing it for what it is- which isn't evident on the surface.

but to the point of this thread:  the contrast between the boards here is dramatic to the casual observer, where one board 'appears' to behave like many boards on the interwebs, and the rest behave as something not common at all.

I'd like to thank all of y'all for making this possible.  it makes me happy we could all stick together after someone yanked the carpet out from underneath us.  this includes the board south, too.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:47:34 AM by Drew4UTk »

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 08:37:40 AM »
Not to sound like a suck up but things could have gotten dicey had you not set up shop.Thanx for the efforts/time/know how pulling it off

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »
Not to sound like a suck up but things could have gotten dicey had you not set up shop.Thanx for the efforts/time/know how pulling it off
many of y'all keep saying something to this affect, but the pleasure is mine.  this group of people have been a part of life through two wives, three dogs, about a dozen vehicles to include three motorcycles and half a dozen mountain bikes, 80 additional pounds, 1 divisional conference championship, and about a 15 year run of pure football misery (being a Tennessee fan).  the absurdity of cfnscout just dropping it was just that- their loss.  i guess counting beans and pennies is their game, where it has value surpassing that to 'us' (i think 'us' anyway, or @847badgerfan and @ELA along with several others wouldn't have teamed up and made it happen). 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.