header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Travels and Impressions

(Read 62751 times)

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Travels and Impressions
« Reply #1204 on: April 22, 2024, 07:40:29 AM »
I have concluded my wife does not care for "scenery", e.g., driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway for example.  She says it's boring.

I need to factor that in.  

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1205 on: April 22, 2024, 08:41:14 AM »
One of our best trips started in Barcelona.  We rented a car and drove across the Pyrenees into France, had lunch in Foix, and then stayed three nights at a nice B&B in Lourdes.  (My wife is Catholic and wanted to visit the site there, which to me was rather confusing in a way.)  The B&B lady suggested a place for dinner in walking distance that was so good we dined there all three nights.  We drove west to see Pau where some friends had moved and then to Biarritz, which was "interesting".  Then back to Barcelona for a cruise, my wife's first, that went to Italy and back up to Monte Carlo and Nice and then Maiorca (which was OK) and then back to Barcelona, where we stayed three nights.

That's when my wife decided she liked cruises.  You unpack once, and get to see a variety of places, usually for one day, sometimes two.  We're trying now to see "Asia" as best we can.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1206 on: April 22, 2024, 10:38:34 AM »
My wife loves to haggle, it's a French thing I guess.  We were in Mexico and she was haggling with this poor fellow at Chichen Itza.  I slid him a bit of money as we left and she got quite irate with me.  I agree with you, maybe it's $5 for me, which means hardly anything these days, and maybe for them it's a day's profit and ability to survive a bit.

You're a nice fellow, CD, but I can assure you after scores of visits to Mexico, nobody there is going to sell you something for a "bargain."  They will actually let you walk away if you go below what they consider a fair price.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1207 on: April 22, 2024, 10:41:24 AM »
You're a nice fellow, CD, but I can assure you after scores of visits to Mexico, nobody there is going to sell you something for a "bargain."  They will actually let you walk away if you go below what they consider a fair price.
This is especially true in Cabo.

One my friends and I were in a Farmacia on our last trip to get some various things. I got my deal for my stuff, but my friend wanted better. They actually asked him to leave and refused to sell him at the price I paid. You can't be an asshole, which he was, in my opinion. I even told him so.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1208 on: April 22, 2024, 11:01:54 AM »
Yeah, I realize that, I know his "list price" was 3x what he would take, maybe.  But he looked poor, and we're not.

CatsbyAZ

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #1209 on: April 23, 2024, 04:39:04 AM »
One standout scene in West Africa is the dress(es) of the local women. It’s rare to see a grown women wearing anything besides brightly decorative, multi-colored dresses. Everywhere for all kinds of daily outings. With most hems reaching to the ankles. Hardly ever shorts, jeans, or pants – only worn by the men.

Their other standout feature is the effort given to their detailed hairstyles of thick braids, afros tied back with colorful headbands, spiral/frizzy curls, zig-zag cornrows, and cornrows ending in colored beads or colored extensions. Likely a lot of the hairstyles we’re used to seeing African-American women proudly wear.

It all goes to show you how universal matters of apparel, hair, and appearance are to women. That even in the most economically impoverished regions of the world, poverty is no obstacle to the amount of time and resources women will invest into flattering clothing and stylish hair. As an innate personal dignity of theirs.

Their faces are pretty, but “pretty” isn’t quite the word that captures it in West Africa. Striking is a better word for the formalness expressed in their faces; there’s a striking seriousness to their facial expression that exudes elegance over the more relaxed friendliness that’s more often emanated by a quicker-to-smile Western face.

The below picture is a good example of women in their daily dress(es). This is a picture not that I took but rather from an internet search. It’s too difficult to take unsuspecting pictures of the locals given just how much immediate attention our group draws in streets. More on that in another post.

CatsbyAZ

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #1210 on: April 25, 2024, 11:49:23 AM »
Our local, embassy-hired driver hauls our group in an SUV with blacked-out windows except for the windshield. The backseats fill up, leaving one of us seated shotgun, and visible to the many people walking the city streets.

People are outside everywhere, uniformly African; hundreds waiting at bus stops, ambling along dirt roadsides, head-carrying, and hawking goods to idling traffic. Many pause once noticing us foreigners visible through the front window. Hawkers raise their merchandise to our windows, and a few extend their hands for cash or holdup damp washcloths, hoping for tips to wipe down the windshield. The rest who begin noticing pause for the uncommon faces in our SUV.

Africa is long exposed to Hollywood, but with Westerners a rare street sighting, our Anglo faces are a novelty substitute for famous faces. Wherever we go we receive celebrity attention, most of it innocent, such as groups of uniformed school children stopping to gaze on their way to school, but the longer we sit at an intersection, the more others gather around our SUV. Eventually our driver releases the brake to inch through the crowds, picking up enough speed to go unnoticed until slowing for the next busy intersection.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.