header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Black Friday Football Scheduling

(Read 14456 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Black Friday Football Scheduling
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »
I don't like my school playing on any day that doesn't start with Satur. 

I would like to have an end-game with a rival that is competitive. If that is Minnie, great.

But they have not won since 2003, so UW needs a new rival. The one they have is broken and is probably going to get more broken with the assclown they currently call their coach.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »
DeLo$$ Dodds
Lulz.  He's to blame for many ills, but you can rest assured he had absolutely no interest in when Nebraska and CU played.  

He did screw Texas by letting the traditional Thanksgiving Day game against the Aggies slide from T-day, to T+1, though.  And beyond that, allowing the kickoff for that game to be a godawful 10 AM local time on T+1 for most of those years

Which gets us back on topic. I don't really like the T+1 game.  It doesn't even really bring much additional exposure because a huge number of games are now played on that day.  If we're not going to be playing our traditional game against the Aggies on T-day, then I'd rather just play on the Saturday after-- a normal college football day of the week.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:54:29 PM by utee94 »

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2018, 11:13:23 PM »
I agree Eichorst's disrespect for Black Friday was a faux pas for Nebraskans.
I came across another article about scheduling from Fall 2017. I do not recall seeing this depth of explanation:
"Iowa and Nebraska will continue to play annually. In 2020, they meet Nov. 14, and they also play Nov. 6, 2021. Neither school requested to annul their Black Friday obligations; it was part of the league’s planned schedule rotation. 'It doesn’t feel like a divorce to me,' Iowa athletics director Gary Barta said. 'It just feels like a rotation.'"
The article also says the Big Ten would consider Black Friday games for Nebraska v. Minnesota, and Iowa v. Wisconsin, if the schools are in agreement. https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-black-friday-still-possibility-wisconsin-without-nebraska
The Big Ten office says it will regularly rotate Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland in the season finale, and plans to rotate Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Minnesota. When Iowa v. Nebraska was originally set for Black Friday, I don't remember anyone stating there would be a rotation of rivals for rivalry week in the Big Ten. Maybe we can move up the Michigan v. Ohio State game while we are at it.
Why does the Conference think rotating rivalry week game matchups is an advantage? Seems like a disadvantage. I don't mind Iowa v. Wisconsin, but let's pick one and stick with it awhile.

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2018, 11:16:38 PM »
I would like to have an end-game with a rival that is competitive. If that is Minnie, great.

But they have not won since 2003, so UW needs a new rival. The one they have is broken and is probably going to get more broken with the assclown they currently call their coach.
I expected Minnesota to start working the oars, but I was on www.Rivals.com last night and their recruiting class is a bit deeper in the tank than where I thought it should be. Iowa is having its usual underperformance, but not to the extent of Minnesota's.

PSUinNC

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »
I really wish Penn St still played Pitt the final weekend of the year.  I get that it will never happen again.

I've been a proponent of OSU/M at noon followed by MSU/PSU for a long time.  I believe that's how the season should end for those 4 schools.  

As for the aforementioned rotation of UNL, Minne, Wisconsin and Iowa, I hate the idea.  UNL/Iowa on Friday, Minne/Wisconsin on Sat.  Simple as that.  

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
The article also says the Big Ten would consider Black Friday games for Nebraska v. Minnesota, and Iowa v. Wisconsin, if the schools are in agreement. https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-black-friday-still-possibility-wisconsin-without-nebraska
The Big Ten office says it will regularly rotate Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland in the season finale, and plans to rotate Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Minnesota. When Iowa v. Nebraska was originally set for Black Friday, I don't remember anyone stating there would be a rotation of rivals for rivalry week in the Big Ten. Maybe we can move up the Michigan v. Ohio State game while we are at it.
Why does the Conference think rotating rivalry week game matchups is an advantage? Seems like a disadvantage. I don't mind Iowa v. Wisconsin, but let's pick one and stick with it awhile.
I don't get why everybody wants to bring Michigan/Ohio State into this.  Frankly, I'm not nearly as enamored with that as most tOSU/M fans but I still have to point out that the comparison here is completely invalid.  
The situation out west is odd because prior to Nebraska joining you had the three-headed rivalry between Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.  Obviously only two of those can play in one weekend so somebody gets left out.  Then we added Nebraska and we can't seem to decide if their season ending rival should be Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin.  
On the issue of which teams should play the final week, I agree with you, we should pick a set of games and stick with it.  To me, it doesn't even really matter which ones you pick because UNL/IA and UW/MN is about equal to UNL/UW and IA/MN which is also about equal to UNL/MN and IA/UW.  Any one of those three would work and I agree with you that we should pick one and stick with it.  
In the East the complication is that the most logical rivalries for the Eastern teams would be either PSU/RU, PSU/UMD, or UMD/RU.  Michigan State ends up involved in that because they are without a dance partner due to their obvious big rival having a bigger rival.  Thus you get one of the three eastern "rivalries" and MSU playing the left over team.  

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2018, 11:49:33 AM »
I really wish Penn St still played Pitt the final weekend of the year.  I get that it will never happen again.

I've been a proponent of OSU/M at noon followed by MSU/PSU for a long time.  I believe that's how the season should end for those 4 schools.  

As for the aforementioned rotation of UNL, Minne, Wisconsin and Iowa, I hate the idea.  UNL/Iowa on Friday, Minne/Wisconsin on Sat.  Simple as that.  
I think that makes a lot of sense and it completes the B1G-E final weekend:
  • Indiana has their instate rivalry with B1G-W Purdue
  • The Game
  • PSU/MSU
  • RU/UMD
In the B1G-W:
  • Purdue has their instate rivalry with B1G-E IU
  • Northwestern and Illinois have their instate rivalry
  • That leaves the four western teams and we need to just pick two games and stick with them.  

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »
I think that makes a lot of sense and it completes the B1G-E final weekend:
  • Indiana has their instate rivalry with B1G-W Purdue
  • The Game
  • PSU/MSU
  • RU/UMD
In the B1G-W:
  • Purdue has their instate rivalry with B1G-E IU
  • Northwestern and Illinois have their instate rivalry
  • That leaves the four western teams and we need to just pick two games and stick with them.  

That's how they initially did it when the Big Ten went East-West.
Not sure why they tinkered with it. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »
That's how they initially did it when the Big Ten went East-West.
Not sure why they tinkered with it.

and I'm not sure why they feel the need to tinker with Hawks/Huskers after 7 seasons
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

PSUinNC

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2018, 02:58:01 PM »
I don't get why everybody wants to bring Michigan/Ohio State into this.  Frankly, I'm not nearly as enamored with that as most tOSU/M fans but I still have to point out that the comparison here is completely invalid.  
The situation out west is odd because prior to Nebraska joining you had the three-headed rivalry between Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.  Obviously only two of those can play in one weekend so somebody gets left out.  Then we added Nebraska and we can't seem to decide if their season ending rival should be Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin.  
On the issue of which teams should play the final week, I agree with you, we should pick a set of games and stick with it.  To me, it doesn't even really matter which ones you pick because UNL/IA and UW/MN is about equal to UNL/UW and IA/MN which is also about equal to UNL/MN and IA/UW.  Any one of those three would work and I agree with you that we should pick one and stick with it.  
In the East the complication is that the most logical rivalries for the Eastern teams would be either PSU/RU, PSU/UMD, or UMD/RU.  Michigan State ends up involved in that because they are without a dance partner due to their obvious big rival having a bigger rival.  Thus you get one of the three eastern "rivalries" and MSU playing the left over team.  
Neither of the two other eastern schools are PSU's rival.  It'll never be, never was, never gonna happen.  We respect and appreciate the OSU/UM rivalry and its place in the conference.  That said, don't try and force two schools that are a combined 2-10000 against PSU to be 'rivals' b/c of their geographic location.  
Let the East games be OSU/M, PSU/MSU, and UMd/RU.  

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2018, 03:04:11 PM »
Neither of the two other eastern schools are PSU's rival.  It'll never be, never was, never gonna happen.  We respect and appreciate the OSU/UM rivalry and its place in the conference.  That said, don't try and force two schools that are a combined 2-10000 against PSU to be 'rivals' b/c of their geographic location.  
Let the East games be OSU/M, PSU/MSU, and UMd/RU.  
I understand and that is why UMD/RU and PSU/MSU makes the most sense.  The only way I could see that changing is if MSU and either UMD or RU switched general performance over the next decade or two such that either UMD or RU was clearly superior to MSU.  

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
I really wish Penn St still played Pitt the final weekend of the year.  I get that it will never happen again.

I've been a proponent of OSU/M at noon followed by MSU/PSU for a long time.  I believe that's how the season should end for those 4 schools.  

As for the aforementioned rotation of UNL, Minne, Wisconsin and Iowa, I hate the idea.  UNL/Iowa on Friday, Minne/Wisconsin on Sat.  Simple as that.  
I wish PSU was our annual crossover game.  Yes, you'd crush UNL right now, but beating PSU was so much joy.   =)   Sad that two teams who had a history outside the BIG were not allowed to strengthen it within

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2018, 03:41:02 PM »
I understand and that is why UMD/RU and PSU/MSU makes the most sense.  The only way I could see that changing is if MSU and either UMD or RU switched general performance over the next decade or two such that either UMD or RU was clearly superior to MSU.  
Even at that, I think MSU vs. MD/RU feels like the most forced permutation.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2018, 04:11:27 PM »
Move PU East and MSU West.

I'll take MSU at year end and won't complain, unless it's on a Friday, of course.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.