header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Black Friday Football Scheduling

(Read 14501 times)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Black Friday Football Scheduling
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2018, 05:26:37 PM »
My favorite CFB era was the two year window where Big East FB and the Southwest Conference simultaneously existed.
Those were my college undergrad years, so I tend to like that era as well.

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2018, 05:34:15 PM »
Wouldn't have mattered without the option to bail for any other major conference.
The option to bail was a factor as was the "one major player" issue with Texas but I think that the fundamental problem with the B12 was that they had and still have too much dead wood.  
Fanbase size correlates very strongly with annual revenues and also with population of the state.  The problem in the B12 is that they have way too many small state schools and even worse they have way too many secondary schools from small states.  Even Texas has too many P5 schools.  Texas has a huge population (~28 Million) but that is only slightly over double what Ohio has (~12 Million).  So, in theory, Texas should be able to support two or *MAYBE* three P5 schools at the level that Ohio supports Ohio State.  That covers Texas, aTm, and maybe one more but Texas has those two plus TxTech, TCU, and Baylor.  If you divide Texas' ~28 Million population by their five P5 schools you get ~5.6 Million or roughly the population of Wisconsin, Colorado, and Minnesota.  Then the B12 has:
  • Two schools from Oklahoma:  Population ~4 Million, ~2 Million per school.  
  • A school from West Virginia:  Population ~2 Million, ~2 Million per school.  
  • Two schools from Kansas:  Population ~3 Million, ~1.5 Million per school.  
  • A school from Iowa:  Population ~3 Million, 1.5 Million per P5 school.  

In the case of Iowa it is even worse because Iowa State is clearly secondary to Iowa.  

What would have probably secured the conference would have been to create a whole new conference out of the strongest members of the old SWC and the old B8 instead of merging four Texas schools into the B8 to form the B12.  When the SWC folded you had 16 teams from the SWC and B8:
  • From Texas:  UT, aTm, Baylor, TCU, Houston, Rice, SMU, TxTech
  • From Oklahoma:  OU, OkSU
  • From Kansas:  KU, KSU
  • From Missouri:  Mizzou
  • From Colorado:  UC
  • From Nebraska:  UNL
  • From Iowa:  ISU

The new conference should have been:
  • Texas
  • aTm
  • Oklahoma
  • Kansas
  • Mizzou
  • Colorado
  • Nebraska
Plus a school or two to be named later.  BYU would be great or one of the New Mexico or Nevada schools.  Those seven would all have been able to carry their own weight.  

There is probably room in Texas' population for one more P5 school but it should probably be TxTech for geographic diversity.  If 12 teams was considered mandatory then they could have had those seven, TxTech, BYU New Mexico, UNLV, and maybe Air Force.  The rest of the Texas schools, OkSU, KSU, and ISU are dead wood.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:40 PM »
yes, $$$ and population is very important

but............. with texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska (3 helmets) there was very good content for the networks and therefore national/regional audiences.  Texas A&M, Colorado, Mizzou, and Kansas St were solid

plenty of money to go around if managed properly

unfortunately, the members couldn't work together well enough to make it work.  Plenty of fault to go around by the big hitters and the power struggle.

heck, the Big 12 is carrying much more dead wood the past few seasons with fewer heavy lifters.  No end in sight.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
UNL and OU not playing every year was the demise of the XII as we knew it. That's my opinion and I'm gonna stick to it.

That was the glue that could have held that conference together. But NOOOO..
I'd say from a husker fan perspective, that would be true.  Not playing OU every year made the conference feel less like others joined the big8 and more like UNL joined another conference.    Many fans felt, right or wrong, the Big12 was set up to be anti-Nebraska.   The fact that many "rules" were voted on while UNL's administration was at the Fiesta Bowl added fire to that premise. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »
perhaps if Tom wouldn't have run it up so badly on Shiny Pants Steve in the Fiesta, the other 11 schools wouldn't have conspired to take down the mighty big red machine?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2018, 12:46:55 AM »
I'd say from a husker fan perspective, that would be true.  Not playing OU every year made the conference feel less like others joined the big8 and more like UNL joined another conference.    Many fans felt, right or wrong, the Big12 was set up to be anti-Nebraska.   The fact that many "rules" were voted on while UNL's administration was at the Fiesta Bowl added fire to that premise.
I like Iowa v. Wisc. series better than Iowa v. Neb. That said, for analagous reasons we have a relative newcomer to the Big Ten. Probably should not have changed its last game of the year.
Unfortunately it appears some of that impetus came from the A.D. at Nebraksa, now former A.D., who suggested Neb. no longer wanted a Black Friday game.
Ultimately, I think that means Iowa-Wisconsin will set the table in the West on Friday for big brothers Ohio St.-Michigan on Saturdays.

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2018, 12:50:11 AM »
heck, the Big 12 is carrying much more dead wood the past few seasons with fewer heavy lifters.  No end in sight.
There is no doubt Nebraska would have the same struggles competitively in the Big 12 it now has in the Big 10 given the coaching it has had since departing the Big 12. If it is struggling a bit, do you think it would rather struggle in the Big 10?

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »
I'd rather be in the BIG.   But I've always said the benefit for UNL in the BIG was more on the academic side than athletic. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »
I like Iowa v. Wisc. series better than Iowa v. Neb. That said, for analagous reasons we have a relative newcomer to the Big Ten. Probably should not have changed its last game of the year.
Unfortunately it appears some of that impetus came from the A.D. at Nebraksa, now former A.D., who suggested Neb. no longer wanted a Black Friday game.
Ultimately, I think that means Iowa-Wisconsin will set the table in the West on Friday for big brothers Ohio St.-Michigan on Saturdays.
fortunately, the former AD is gone and the current AD understands the situation
Current AD will do whatever he can to preserve the Hawkeyes/Cornhuskers on Black Friday and continue it as a growing tradition
the only question is:  Can he get it done?
I don't know.  If Moos really is a great AD, I think he gets it done.  If he's not a great AD, it might not happen

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »
There is no doubt Nebraska would have the same struggles competitively in the Big 12 it now has in the Big 10 given the coaching it has had since departing the Big 12. If it is struggling a bit, do you think it would rather struggle in the Big 10?
from a purely football perspective I'm not sure it matters much.  I suppose it would hurt a bit worse to have old rivals such as Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St. Oklahoma St. really enjoying their sweet revenge on the Big Red.
from a $$$ and academic perspective, obviously the Big Ten is a much better place to struggle.

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2018, 01:55:27 AM »
In case you hadn't viewed the Nebraska off season forum, the Iowa-Nebraska Black Friday season finale returns in 2022 after a 2-year hiatus.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »
not sure why the 2-year hiatus couldn't be avoided

oh well

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »
not sure why the 2-year hiatus couldn't be avoided

oh well
Same.  I didn't know that part was locked in.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »
I'm sure someone had already made plans and didn't want to redo things

so, to hell with tradition

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.