header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Black Friday Football Scheduling

(Read 14539 times)

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
Black Friday Football Scheduling
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:21:28 AM »
Iowa's AD wants the Iowa-Wisconsin series to occur on Black Friday, (or if Iowa should ever close the season with Nebraska, that too -- Iowa is the new Nebraska).

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/2018/02/01/gary-barta-hoping-black-friday-finale-wisconsin-discusses-taxes-and-kinnick-renovation-progress/1087128001/

There was trepidation on Ferentz's part the first year or two about a Friday game so I am guessing acclimation has alleviated trepidation. Kind of feeling it for Nebraska, tonight.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:23:14 AM by Hawkinole »

rolltidefan

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Black Friday Football Scheduling
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »
the iron bowl was on black friday for a few seasons not long ago. it was awful.

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:05:55 AM »
Black Friday games come with near certainty of an expanded audience - usually national. But, I usually work that day, and that usually excludes me.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:24:22 AM »
Black Friday games come with near certainty of an expanded audience - usually national. But, I usually work that day, and that usually excludes me.
I always saved a half day of vacation just for that game
and the boss is a Husker fan, so he understood
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:25:07 AM »
Bill Moos has begun the conversation with the people who matter about the possibility of Iowa being Nebraska's permanent opponent for the Black Friday game.

"I have talked to both the Big Ten and to my counterpart at Iowa about the prospects of really starting to develop a true rivalry between our two schools," the Husker athletic director told Nebraska247 on Wednesday. "And especially in football, that game on an annual basis, whether at their place or ours, be on that Friday following Thanksgiving."
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 10:30:27 AM »
The Big Ten just can't get out of it's own way on some of this stuff.  Iowa-Nebraska on Black Friday made all the sense in the world.  Just like having a Big Ten tournament in Indy or Chicago on the correct weekend.  But hey, what do I know?

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »
well, Husker fans want a national black friday game vs a rival.

not a rotating schedule

so, if not the Hawkeyes for whatever reason, then Wisconsin or someone from the west each and every season to establish a tradition

if not a Big Ten west team, then get the Sooners or the Buffs to schedule a non-con game on that Friday - every season

done

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 10:38:22 AM »
Agreed, they just need to lock in the schedule permanently for that final weekend.

Was MSU-PSU a "rivalry"?  Meh.  But it had been the season finale for 25 years now, so I had bought in.  Maryland-Rutgers may get there too.  But nothing is going to get there this way.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 10:49:09 AM »
It would be nice to have rivalry games on the last weekend with something on the line.

It's been a while for UW in that regard, even though the AXE is important. Maybe like a division title or something.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 10:57:18 AM »
It would be nice to have rivalry games on the last weekend with something on the line.

It's been a while for UW in that regard, even though the AXE is important. Maybe like a division title or something.
Wasn't that the case a couple years ago?  I thought 2016 was for a division title.

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 11:37:13 AM »
This is my situation also.  I almost always work that day but I can see the advantage.  I like it as long as the game starts at 3:30 or later so that I can at least catch the second half.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 12:04:57 PM »
the 11am time slot is too early for me, but it happens

need to have the game worth something, then it gets the better afternoon slot

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 12:19:59 PM »
Bill Moos has begun the conversation with the people who matter about the possibility of Iowa being Nebraska's permanent opponent for the Black Friday game.

"I have talked to both the Big Ten and to my counterpart at Iowa about the prospects of really starting to develop a true rivalry between our two schools," the Husker athletic director told Nebraska247 on Wednesday. "And especially in football, that game on an annual basis, whether at their place or ours, be on that Friday following Thanksgiving."
I see Wisconsin is on Iowa's schedule as the last game starting in 2020. Not sure if that is something that can or will change. Nebraska is scheduled against Minnesota that weekend. It would probably be easy to switch the schedule if that was deemed best by the conference, or the teams, as Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota are each traditional rivals and at least games between any of the three as the season finale would make sense. It is the interloper that puts a wrench in the equation.
I don't think Nebraska-Wisconsin would be as natural a rivalry as Nebraska-Minnesota, or Nebraska-Iowa might develop into. Nebraska has no tradition of having schedule Wisconsin historically.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »
Wasn't that the case a couple years ago?  I thought 2016 was for a division title.
Not on the last weekend. The Iowa and UNL games (both UW wins) were much earlier. UW finished 7-2 (UI and UNL were 6-3) and Minnie was 5-4 with no shot on the last weekend.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.