header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Offseason Stream of Unconsciousness

(Read 127320 times)

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Offseason Stream of Unconsciousness
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2019, 09:09:22 AM »
I was at a party and didn't watch a minute. How did James White do?
He didn't do anything.  Granted neither offense did much, but he had 9 total yards.

fezzador

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2019, 09:18:44 AM »
I only watched part of the game, but from what I could gather the Patriots were clearly superior last night.  They could - or even should - have blown the game wide open, but ended up settling for FG attempts or simply stalling in their opponent's territory.  Probably should have been something like 27-3 instead of 13-3. 

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2019, 09:49:19 AM »
I only watched part of the game, but from what I could gather the Patriots were clearly superior last night.  They could - or even should - have blown the game wide open, but ended up settling for FG attempts or simply stalling in their opponent's territory.  Probably should have been something like 27-3 instead of 13-3.  
Their first 3 drives they were.  Ran the ball well on their first drive, but Brady threw a pick.  Then they missed a FG.  Then they had to settle for a FG.  Could have easily been 13-0 or 17-0 early, but was only 3-0.  After that neither offense did much, save one drive for the rest of the game.  Patriots probably got away with a soft PI on the play before the pick, but the Rams offense was so bad, it would have felt wrong to put them at the 2 with a penalty anyway.

I'm usually the guy to defend good defense in low scoring games.  That wasn't the case last night, both offenses were simply awful.  Particularly for an indoor game.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
The Patriots were much more effective on offense obviously.  There were some holes at times for the running backs and Edleman was uncoverable.  I've rarely seen a WR get so open against "good" defense.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2019, 10:47:10 AM »
"football guys" and ex-players I follow on twitter seem very complimentary to Edleman's ability to use his body, run routes and put DB's in bad positions.   It felt from reading their posts that it was just as much about Edleman's abilities to run routes as it was schemes or things the Rams were doing wrong in D.   

Ram's D played well most of the night.  They just wore out in the 4th.    

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2019, 11:05:22 AM »
"football guys" and ex-players I follow on twitter seem very complimentary to Edleman's ability to use his body, run routes and put DB's in bad positions.   It felt from reading their posts that it was just as much about Edleman's abilities to run routes as it was schemes or things the Rams were doing wrong in D.  

Ram's D played well most of the night.  They just wore out in the 4th.    
Steroids help bodies like Edleman's.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2019, 11:30:49 AM »
I was glad to see Sony Michel do well, not just because he's a Dawg, but because he's a very high class individual (same as Chubb, who apparently wore Michel's jersey to the game).  I thought there was another ex-Dawg playing but I may have missed him.

I prefer college football, by a lot.

Hoss

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: February 04, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
I only watched part of the game, but from what I could gather the Patriots were clearly superior last night.  They could - or even should - have blown the game wide open, but ended up settling for FG attempts or simply stalling in their opponent's territory.  Probably should have been something like 27-3 instead of 13-3.
Agree...but their QB is an old man with little zip left in his arm. No midrange or vertical passing game to speak of. 
Which makes me all the more incredulous as to why the Rams played so many snaps giving Edelman and Gronk free releases. Its not as if either one is a threat to blow by any defensive back who is worth half a ****, but even if they were, Brady's deep passes are meatballs. Jam on both dudes, every play. 

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: February 04, 2019, 12:20:01 PM »
I was at a party and didn't watch a minute. How did James White do?
Had one decent reception, I think. Havenstein was part of an o-line that couldn't give Goff any time. Don't know why the Rams weren't better able to take advantage of aggressive blitzes from NE with hot routes to releasing tight ends or others. The Rams' right guard was abused all night.
Mostly used the SB as an excuse to eat a bunch of crap--a cheat day of sorts. Son was laid up with a fever, so sitting in front of a TV watching drivel was easy for him. Kind of what the SB was reduced to in our house: mindless drivel.
Been watching less and less of the SB over the last few years. Just not compelling TV anymore (for me).

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: February 04, 2019, 12:54:12 PM »
Mostly used the SB as an excuse to eat a bunch of crap--a cheat day of sorts. 
Don't worry... It was Brady's cheat day too :57:

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: February 04, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »

Don't worry... It was Brady's cheat day too :57:
I keep going back to how humorous it is that we treat baseball PED users like they committed treason, and the starting QB and the MVP of the Super Bowl winning team have both been suspended in their careers (the MVP just this year) for cheating, and nobody cares.

GopherRock

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2019, 01:21:43 PM »
Had one decent reception, I think. Havenstein was part of an o-line that couldn't give Goff any time. Don't know why the Rams weren't better able to take advantage of aggressive blitzes from NE with hot routes to releasing tight ends or others. The Rams' right guard was abused all night.
Mostly used the SB as an excuse to eat a bunch of crap--a cheat day of sorts. Son was laid up with a fever, so sitting in front of a TV watching drivel was easy for him. Kind of what the SB was reduced to in our house: mindless drivel.
Been watching less and less of the SB over the last few years. Just not compelling TV anymore (for me).
It also didn't help that this was the worst SB in a long time, in all phases ( game, halftime, commercials).

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: February 04, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
I keep going back to how humorous it is that we treat baseball PED users like they committed treason, and the starting QB and the MVP of the Super Bowl winning team have both been suspended in their careers (the MVP just this year) for cheating, and nobody cares.
I wonder how much of it is due to the brutal nature of the sport?
I.e. in baseball, kinda like in golf, there's a certain level of sanctity that as much as you're playing against the pitcher, the field [course] is its own "defense". If you're taking PED's, corking your bat, or if they moved to aluminum bats, for example, suddenly people'd start hitting the ball out of the park "too often" and the game itself would change. Similar to all the fitness and equipment changes that have occurred in golf and now all the courses are essentially too short for the pros. When you've got guys regularly reaching 570 yard par 5's in 2, it's a whole different game than it used to be.
In football, although things are starting to change due to head injury, we're WATCHING it for the violence. Fans love the big hits. We're watching it to see gladiators engaging in hand-to-hand combat on the field. As a result, we want the biggest, fastest, strongest, and somewhat "excuse" players for using PED's because we implicitly assume the other guys are also doing it--and getting away with it. 
Thoughts?

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.