header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Big 12 CCG

(Read 18008 times)

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: Big 12 CCG
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
Awesome!  Way to go Sooners!

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2017, 04:11:05 PM »
SOONER!

What an awesome win! First time any team has won 3 consecutive B12 titles.  Lincoln keeps the line moving.

I would think TCU gets the B12's NY6 bowl.  I can't see them putting OSU ahead of them since TCU won the head to head.

EDIT:  OU has won 3 in a row twice, 2006-2008 and 2015-2017.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:26:25 AM by Thumper »

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2017, 05:17:58 PM »
Not surprised at all by the outcome. Good job Sooners, I'll probably root for y'all in the playoffs.
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
SOONER!

What an awesome win! First time any team has won 3 consecutive B12 titles.  Lincoln keeps the line moving.

I would think TCU gets the B12's NY6 bowl.  I can't see them putting OSU ahead of them since TCU won the head to head.
I think that teams #5 through #11 in the CFP rankings, plus the top G5 team, get the New Year's bowls.  I don't think TCU will maintain its #11 ranking.
But I hope they do.
Play Like a Champion Today

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2017, 06:47:59 PM »
Not surprised at all by the outcome. Good job Sooners, I'll probably root for y'all in the playoffs.
Thanks DF.  Frogs are always a tough draw but OU is running on all cylinders at the moment.
Good to see you again.  Hope alls well your way.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
Good to see you, D-Frog.

I know you hated to see Todd Graham fired, but I think you avoided feeling betrayed when he inevitably would have ducked out to his next "destination job."

Don't know that Herm Edwards is the right replacement, though.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »
I'm thinking that OU winds up no worse than #2 in the CFP rankings tomorrow morning.  If Miami upsets Clemson, probably #1.

But the Committee has undervalued Big 12 teams every week, so I probably should have no confidence in the prediction I just made.

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »
Good to see you, D-Frog.

I know you hated to see Todd Graham fired, but I think you avoided feeling betrayed when he inevitably would have ducked out to his next "destination job."

Don't know that Herm Edwards is the right replacement, though.
Graham could have already bolted ASU after the '13 or '14 seasons if he wanted to. He was on his way to coaching his 7th season here for crying out loud. Despite his reputation as a job hopper he genuinely wanted to stay at ASU. His wife absolutely loves it here as does the rest of his family. He treated the university like a place he wanted to stay, unfortunately he didn't do enough per our AD's standards.
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »
I doubt that anyone who rooted for his Rice, Tulsa, or Pitt teams would have your level of confidence, but you might be right.

In any event, good luck with your new guy.

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »
I think that teams #5 through #11 in the CFP rankings, plus the top G5 team, get the New Year's bowls.  I don't think TCU will maintain its #11 ranking.
But I hope they do.
I was thinking the B12 had a tie-in but you've always had the handle on bowl games.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
I was thinking the B12 had a tie-in but you've always had the handle on bowl games.
I at least partially misspoke there, CG.  The Big 12 and SEC signed an agreement awhile back (2014-ish?) that their champions would meet in the Sugar Bowl.  Or their highest-ranked teams if the champions are in the CFP.  But that's only in years when the Sugar Bowl isn't being used for a semifinal or the championship game in the CFP.  It's like the Big Ten-Pac-12 relationship with the Rose Bowl.

But that means that my assertion that only the top 11 plus the top G5 team go to "NYD" bowls must not be correct.  Because in years when the Sugar Bowl and/or Rose Bowl aren't in the playoff, they would take their respective conference champs (or highest-ranked teams . . .).  Maybe that "top 11" requirement is correct this year because both the Sugar and the Rose are involved in the playoff.  Or maybe "top 11+top G5" goes for at-large slots in general.

From the Font of All Wisdom and Knowledge ("Sugar Bowl): In May 2012, the Big 12 and SEC announced plans to create a new bowl game, the Champions Bowl, that would play host to the champions of those two conferences. However, by November 2012, it was decided instead that the Sugar Bowl will play host to the champions of the Big 12 and SEC, beginning in January 2015. If one of those teams takes part in the national semifinal, a team from the same conference will take their place. Also, it will become one of the bowls that will rotate as a spot for a national semifinal game. On January 1, 2015, the Sugar Bowl matched Big 10 champion, Ohio State against SEC champion Alabama in one of two semi-final games for the college football playoff championship in its inaugural year.

More from the Font ("College Football Playoff New Year's Six"): The College Football Playoff (CFP) New Year's Six (NY6) bowls are the top six major NCAA Division I FBS bowl games: the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl. The New Year's Six represent six of the ten oldest bowl games currently played at the FBS level. These 6 top-tier bowl games rotate the hosting of the two semifinal games, which determine the teams that play in the final College Football Playoff National Championship game. The rotation is set on a three-year cycle with the following pairings: Rose/Sugar, Orange/Cotton, and Fiesta/Peach.

The selection committee seeds and pairs the top four teams, and along with their final CFP rankings determine the participants for the other four non-playoff New Year's Six bowls that are not hosting the semifinals that year. These four non-playoff bowls are also referred to as the Selection Committee bowl games. These six games focus on the top 12 teams in the rankings, with only five teams ranked lower than 12th (all five were still ranked in the top 20) having ever played in the New Year's Six since the College Football Playoff system was inaugurated.

Twelve schools are selected for these major, top tier bowls. These include the champions of the "Power Five" conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC). The highest-ranked champion from the "Group of Five" conferences (The American, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt) is guaranteed a berth if the group's top team is not in the playoff.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:26:48 AM by CWSooner »

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
Earlier in this thread I was taking a shot at Mike Stoops so now I need to give him credit.  The 2nd half was a beauty for his defense, completely shutting out the Frogs.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »
Same here, CG.

I'd still rather see Mike move on--maybe to go work for little brother Mark at Kentucky--but the Sooner defense really came through yesterday, especially in the 2nd half.

And even on those two 1st-half TD passes, the TCU players were well-covered.  Kenny Hill threw two perfect passes, and the Frog WRs made two perfect catches.

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »
That is what I was thinking of, the Champions Bowl.  From the Big 12 site:
2016 Big 12 Bowl Selection Process
College Football Playoff (CFP) Selection Process
The CFP Selection Committee ranks the top 25 teams and selects the four teams to participate in the semifinal games. Then, after the contract bowls are filled based on conference agreements, the Committee will assign teams to fill the remaining New Year's bowls. Each conference champion from the contract bowls (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC & Pac 12) has a guaranteed spot in its contracted bowl
or in another New Year's bowl (Sugar, Rose or Cotton) if the contracted bowl is a semifinal game and the conference champion is not selected to participate in a semifinal game. The highest ranked champion from the Mountain West, American, Conference USA, Sun Belt or MAC is guaranteed a spot in a CFP bowl and the remaining spots are filled based on the rankings of teams after the contract bowls have been filled. 

So this means?  :confuse:

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.