header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Maryland at Texas

(Read 13524 times)

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
Maryland at Texas
« on: August 17, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »
We kick off in a little over 2 weeks

UT is favored by 2 TDs which is kinda hard to believe
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Maryland at Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »
We kick off in a little over 2 weeks

UT is favored by 2 TDs which is kinda hard to believe

Well, Maryland wasn't very good last year.  But, neither was Texas. 

I guess a lot of folks just have that much faith in Tom Herman.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »

This is a tricky one. Maryland showed a lot of improvement last season to be honest. Durkin is doing a good job of upgrading the talent, which is pretty plentiful in the DC metro. He'll have them playing well, but even with the talent upgrade, it's still no match for the talent that UT has.

Bringing it together is the key for UT this year. If the staff can get the kids on the same page, Texas is going to be good.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 06:25:30 PM »
This is a tricky one. Maryland showed a lot of improvement last season to be honest. Durkin is doing a good job of upgrading the talent, which is pretty plentiful in the DC metro. He'll have them playing well, but even with the talent upgrade, it's still no match for the talent that UT has.

Bringing it together is the key for UT this year. If the staff can get the kids on the same page, Texas is going to be good.

That's about the size of it.  Texas' talent isn't Alabama or Ohio State level for sure.

But there's still enough talent at Texas to be a 9-3 kind of team, and that's more than enough talent to beat Maryland.

Can the coaches deliver?  I guess we'll find out starting in a couple of weeks.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
I confess I'm going off second hand reports. I haven't seen Maryland play.

However, from all reports, they have no OL. That's a huge problem, because, when run right, Todd Orlando's defense makes a QB's life really tough.

Modern collegiate offenses are supposed to account for the defenders, do the math, then strike where the largest likelihood of success is. Orlando's defense puts, like, 2 players in a static position. The other nine are part of an ever changing array of edge rushers, LB/DE combos, and secondary players that don't declare their role until after the snap - sometimes even reneging on their declaration during the play!

In short, players come from everywhere at any time. The QB and receivers just have to adjust on the fly. The constant pressure makes that adjustment time limited, and a mistake goes the other way.

Texas Offense will put out a lot of speed, but I'm expecting growing pains. Regardless, they may not have to score much.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 05:24:03 PM »
I'm just very, very interested to see what Texas is going to look like this year.  Those first three games are going to tell us a lot about the rest of the season.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
My buddy got season tickets this year.  I guess that's a pretty good way to start off a divorce :\  I'm pretty jealous (of going to all the home games, not the divorce).

He's in charge of L.A. territory for his company and has been having to fly out there once a month or so, and he got permission from his boss to schedule a trip for the UT/USC weekend, and even got his company to spring for the tickets as he'll be hosting his clients at the game.  I told him to temper his rooting for UT, lest he lose the clients.  Also to be careful, because I hear the Coliseum is in the ghetto. 

I'd sure like to make a game in Austin again, but I doubt I'll even be making one in Baton Rouge this year.  Again. 

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
Buddy of mine has an extra ticket that I was offered.  I am going Saturday.  But at first I was hesitant.  The few times I have gone to DKR it was not fun.   I am hoping we at least can win 7 games this year. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
Temperature won't be as bad as it could have, and the Horns have plenty of talent and a new coach.  I bet you'll have a good time.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »
Gameday.  For the first time in 20+ years, we're not tailgating for it.  Not even going down to watch it in person, we'll be watching on TV from my brother's house whilst celebrating his and my sister's birthdays.

It'll be strange, but all good things come to an end.

Hook 'em Horns!

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »
I knew I should not have gone yesterday - ha ha.    We look like last year.  Below avg and bad football as usual. 

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 03:32:09 PM »
Yeah, Herman's got his work cut out for him.  I thought the same thing as well....looked a lot like last year.  I think Buechelle (sp?) is more than serviceable as a QB, but there's no push in the run game and the defense is soft, and that's being generous.  Same as I saw last year.  I expected Orlando to make some immediate impact there, but it's early still.  I do think Herman is a great coach, we'll see, moving forward.  

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 04:09:50 PM »
While our off line needs to improve and cut way down on the holding penalties

my main concern is the defense

41 points should win it for you

also I suspect Maryland will turn out to be a pretty fair team this year

Our QB play was good and we should be able to win with him

Our pass defense needs lots of work

We have a very young team and just need some games under our belt

Im not ready to fire TH yet
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

mcwterps1

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »
Not since Maryland defeating FSU under Ralph's tenure, have I seen so many 4 and 5 star players on one roster that we beat. 

I think it has a lot to do with 1st year system and rebranding, but our defense was great. 

21 points from Texas wasn't from the offense, and ST's play can be fixed. 

I'm more confident about Maryland, or at least, this coaching staff has me believing. 

Best of luck the rest of the year. It was an extremely stressful game....one I chalked as a loss after the pick 6.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.