header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 211095 times)

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #532 on: December 20, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
Yep... still in the DFW area.  Tinkering on the Vette when time permits, which is next to never.

Happy to take you up on that offer.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #533 on: December 21, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »
So far I've made it to a brewery every day this week.  That should continue today and tomorrow.  It feels good to be a gangta.... :)

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: December 21, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
So far I've made it to a brewery every day this week.  That should continue today and tomorrow.  It feels good to be a gangta.... :)

Edit:  That sounded real bad when I re-read it.  Apologies, Utee.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:27:42 PM by Thumper »

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: December 21, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »
Popular Mechanics online is going to town on Star Wars on the series' inability to see how its own technology would have revolutionized warfare, but somehow it hasn't.   The battle scenes are conceptually from World War I or World War II--space flight and faster-than-light travel has basically done little except enable spectacular re-enactments of the Battle of Jutland, the Battle of Britain, and the Battle of the Bulge in outer space and on alien planets.

Also ongoing explanations of how pizza-slice-shaped spacecraft make no sense.
Play Like a Champion Today

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: December 21, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »
I didn't get to a brewery, but a stop at Old Chicago allowed me to taste 4 or 5 different brews last night.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: December 21, 2017, 01:49:52 PM »
Popular Mechanics online is going to town on Star Wars on the series' inability to see how its own technology would have revolutionized warfare, but somehow it hasn't.   The battle scenes are conceptually from World War I or World War II--space flight and faster-than-light travel has basically done little except enable spectacular re-enactments of the Battle of Jutland, the Battle of Britain, and the Battle of the Bulge in outer space and on alien planets.

it's hollywood, never makes any sense
one reason I don't watch movies - nothing real about them - insulting to my limited intelligence 
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: December 24, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »
No worries lh320, I'm still a moderator around here and have the power to delete posts.

And ban users.

So maybe I won't.

But maybe I will.

:)
And I can un-ban them.  
Maybe.
I received a message from the local e-gods that I am now a mod.  But I have no idea how to use my powers or what they are.  
That said, yeah, no spoilers, cuz I can probably figure it out and ban their rears.  

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: December 24, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »
Popular Mechanics online is going to town on Star Wars on the series' inability to see how its own technology would have revolutionized warfare, but somehow it hasn't.   The battle scenes are conceptually from World War I or World War II--space flight and faster-than-light travel has basically done little except enable spectacular re-enactments of the Battle of Jutland, the Battle of Britain, and the Battle of the Bulge in outer space and on alien planets.

Like all publications, I reckon they have space to fill and clicks to generate, but that's really par for the course in the movies.  Since when does much of anything in the movies make any sense in the real world if you think about it too much?  It's fiction for a reason.  
Almost nothing in the movies makes great sense if you think about it too hard.  There an entire youtube channel (often very funny) dedicated to nitpicking everything that was wrong with a current blockbuster.  There's another hilarious channel called "How It Should Have Ended" and way back when they started and the animation was much poorer, they did Lord of the Rings, and I nearly fell over laughing, because it was funny, they had a point, and also because I had the same thought after I spent too much of my life reading Tolkien's books as a kid.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #540 on: December 24, 2017, 04:43:41 PM »
I've finally seen Star Wars, really enjoyed it.

People that feel the need to nitpick science fiction are generally mirthless assholes that deserve to live their miserable lives being frustrated by the fiction part of science fiction.  

That's not my problem and I'm not going to bother with it.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #541 on: December 24, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »
Like all publications, I reckon they have space to fill and clicks to generate, but that's really par for the course in the movies.  Since when does much of anything in the movies make any sense in the real world if you think about it too much?  It's fiction for a reason.  
Almost nothing in the movies makes great sense if you think about it too hard.  There an entire youtube channel (often very funny) dedicated to nitpicking everything that was wrong with a current blockbuster.  There's another hilarious channel called "How It Should Have Ended" and way back when they started and the animation was much poorer, they did Lord of the Rings, and I nearly fell over laughing, because it was funny, they had a point, and also because I had the same thought after I spent too much of my life reading Tolkien's books as a kid.
Sure.  Every site wants clicks and making controversial arguments is a way to get them.
But I think that PM is mostly criticizing a failure of imagination.
If you can remember back into the ancient past, think of a scene in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.  Kirk and the Enterprise are fighting Khan in the hijacked Reliant.  Spock points out that Khan is using 2-dimensional tactics, a failure of the imagination.  Kirk is able to exploit this, and Khan is defeated.
But the entire Star Trek universe was one of 2-dimensional space attacks.  The Enterprise was always "right side up," and enemy vessels nearly always approached as if they were floating on the same invisible ocean.  At most, they might come in from 10-15 degrees above the "horizon," nearly always from the forward quarter, and oriented to the same arbitrary "up" and "down" as the Enterprise.
And the same thing has largely been true of the Star Wars universe, although I have to qualify that by saying that George Lucas lost me with Episode One, so maybe it has gotten better since then.  PM seems to be saying that it has not, citing the "Dreadnought" in the latest movie as an example.
In space, there is no gravity, no up or down.  It's all the same, all around you.  The early rendezvous-and-docking sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey got that part better than either Star Trek or Star Wars (through Jar Jar Binks, anyway) has typically done.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #542 on: December 26, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
Yep... still in the DFW area.  Tinkering on the Vette when time permits, which is next to never.

Happy to take you up on that offer.  
Shiner,
I sent an email to your old hotmail address.  Haven't heard back from you.  No worries, a couple weeks away yet.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: December 27, 2017, 10:22:23 AM »
I've finally seen Star Wars, really enjoyed it.
You're a patient fellow.  I saw it 40 years ago.

I caught the Empire Strikes sequel when it made it to cable (Showtime, TMC, HBO...), seemed to me it was better than the first.  Then came Return of the Dead Guy, or something along those lines, and I never saw it or anything since.

Fiction is not the problem.  Corny is the problem.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #544 on: December 27, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Dialog and character development have always been weaknesses in the Star Wars series.

I bailed out after Phantom Menace.  That was so bad that I didn't want to contribute one more cent to the knuckleheads who created it.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #545 on: December 27, 2017, 09:03:31 PM »
You're a patient fellow.  I saw it 40 years ago.

I caught the Empire Strikes sequel when it made it to cable (Showtime, TMC, HBO...), seemed to me it was better than the first.  Then came Return of the Dead Guy, or something along those lines, and I never saw it or anything since.

Fiction is not the problem.  Corny is the problem.
Lulz.  I was obviously talking about the newest Star Wars movie, episode VIII, subtitled The Last Jedi.  I enjoyed it.

The "prequels" episodes 1,2,3 were not very good.  The new movies are, IMO.  But if you didn't like Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, then you just don't like Star Wars movies.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.